Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2018, 05:12 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 63 (100%)
Sigma APO 400mm F5.6 (cheap but read carefully)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Sigma APO 400mm F5.6 (cheap but read carefully)

Asking Price
110.00 USD

Item Location
Québec (Canada)

Item Description
I'm selling this Sigma APO 400mm F5.6 lens.

It's a fast tele with manual focus but fully automatic aperture control. It also has a focus ring.

The lens is short and light, features a rotating tripod foot and a built-in hood.

This lens comes with the original caps and the original leather hard case in superb, almost new condition.

The lens barrel has some scuffing on the rubbery plastic parts but nothing serious.

Important : the lens performs superbly optically. BUT it appears to have two flaws. The first is something long and thin near the front element, if it was on the outside I'd say it's a minuscule string or hair. It doesn't show when taking pictures. The second is on what I think is the 5 or 6th optical element: there's a spot of what is possibly optical cement showing. It's not big but visible in the right light and orientation. Again, I can't see it in pictures. Just know it's there. A willing tinkerer could probably fix all of this prett easily, I guess. Regular users coul live with it and get a great deal on a great lens. I was not able to photograph those flaws so I'm making sure to write about them.

I have not used the lens much but now that I've acquired a Vivitar 120-600mm, this Sigma is redundant so I'm letting it go.

The Sigma is surprisingly light and small for what it offers, and from my humble testing it's admirably sharp. It's easy to handhold thanks for the light weight, and is not much bitter than a 60-260mm F4. It has internal focusing and communicates the aperture flawlessly with the camera.

Here are some pictures!

Here is the case. Showing is a small 3D printed jig I tried to have made to remove the front element and try to repair it. That didn't work well and I did not try anything further, but if you're interested I'll send the jig along.

Willing to entertain offers, but I think the asking price is fair at about half the usual market value.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Fair

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
Varies

Shipping Services
Cannada Post prefered

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
No returns

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

05-06-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
Can you please post images of the flaws you've seen as well as pics taken with the lens at various F stops?
05-07-2018, 05:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sold pending payment.
05-07-2018, 05:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sold pending payment.