Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
Pentax FA* 200/4 Macro--Still Available--Lower Price!

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Pentax FA* 200/4 Macro

Asking Price
3,500.00 USD

Item Location
Montana (United States)

Item Description
How many years since the last one posted on this forum?

The time to buy an ultra-rare item is when you see it--well, here it is!

This lens is in impressive condition. Even the mount shows almost no brassing. Aperture lever/shroud and tripod foot are the only two spots with obvious wear (visible in images). Glass is perfect and coatings do not show cleaning/rub marks. Lens has lived in very low humidity (so risk of future "growth" inside is VERY low). All systems operate as new--focus limiter; push-pull auto/manual focus shift; tripod collar; distance scale & window; reversible hood; polarizer window; nine snappy aperture blades.

Fine-toothed-comb will find a couple barely visible marks in silver finish. Please zoom in to see if you can find any!

Found a copy of this lens on ebay this morning for $4300 with wicked fungus, big scratches and missing polarizer door so my lens is not priced outside the market.

Includes original box, manual, heavy-duty soft case with strap, front and rear caps.

This lens has produced dozens of published images of everything from bugs, to flowers, to fish hatchlings, to ice crystals...many sold/published images were shot within view of my home!

Original Pentax press release from Sept. 19, 2000 said of the optical formula:

Incorporating two Extra-low Dispersion (ED) lens elements, an abnormal-dispersion lens element as well as a high-refraction lens element, the lens is designed to provide professional and advanced amateur photographers with extremely high-resolution macro images with minimal aberrations.

Be aware that I commonly spend a couple days a week afield with no cell service or computer access, so be patient with me please.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Like New

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
free to continental U.S. By Quote for International

Shipping Services
USPS for domestic, likely UPS for international

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
10 day return policy. Buyer pays return postage, insurance and fees if applicable.

International buyers must contact me for specifics. I have issues with exporter's license etc. that we have to work through.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

---------- Post added 06-04-18 at 12:44 PM ----------

Yes, I'm hearing the collective gasp at the price, but my lens is in better shape and more complete with original materials than anything else hitting the market this year. Thanks for the fairly reasonable offers so far. But I'm going to wait a few days before starting to backpedal.

You know you want this lens...make your K1 really sing!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by Ron Boggs; 06-11-2018 at 06:47 AM.
06-05-2018, 10:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
bump.
06-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Feedback Score: 40 (100%)
Always great to see one of these listed. Fabulous lens!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2018, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 39 (100%)
Since I didn't win the lotto this week because I didn't play, I will have to pass and just dream of owning this lovely beast.

06-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
What he said ^
06-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It is beautiful, is it not?
06-05-2018, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I'm drooling. Can I just borrow it for an afternoon?

06-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm drooling. Can I just borrow it for an afternoon?
If I owned it I would let you borrow it for a few days Norm, just no canoe rides! But sorry, I don't own it. Maybe I will buy a powerball ticket this week. I wanted his Super tele FA* that was sold earlier this year, maybe I can get lucky!
06-05-2018, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

After all I've heard about it, I really just want to touch it. And take one image to add to this thread.
Macro-bokeh-test - PentaxForums.com

After all, what is the point of a thread like this if it doesn't include the acknowledged king of the genre? Not owning it makes this thread worthless. You gotta see the best to understand how the others stack up.
06-05-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Anyone can buy it and play hard for a year or two and then sell it off...the risk is low due to the never-going-away residual value.

I haven't shot through it in 2 years so it just sits in the safe in a hard Pelican case. BTW, though I made frequent trips to Alaska and Northwest Territories back when I was shooting semi-professionally, I never flew this lens on those trips. In fact, this lens may have never flown (can't recall). For the far North, I generally used FA* 80-200 with a Canon 77mm 500D close-up adapter for macro with 35mm gear. I have to admit, most of my high-end arctic macro work was on 67 with the unfreakin' believable 100/4 macro for that format--and Velvia film of course.
06-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, a couple shots...Tachenid Fly to show depth of field without stacking and super rare Kelseya Uniflora blooms to show great front bokeh as well as the legendary rear bokeh this lens produces. Both images have previously been published in different years of the annual photo issue of Montana Outdoors (very competitive publication to get in due to the National Parks and seven bizillion photogs submitting their life-experience photos).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Ron Boggs; 06-05-2018 at 02:43 PM.
06-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Sweet Baby Corn! Wowsers Ron! If I had the credit available I would buy it just to shoot it for a month or twenty. My jaw dropped open at the image of the fly. What camera was that with?

I even sat here wondering if I could make payments to you for about two years, if I could afford it. Possibly but probably not if I wanted to heat the house.!

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 06-05-2018 at 03:28 PM.
06-05-2018, 05:27 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 16 (100%)
Perhaps a number of us can pool our funds and buy this lens, with the new owners rotating on a set basis (monthly for a $400 commitment or semi-monthly for a $200 commitment, based on 12 or 24 investors). It will become known as the Pentax Forum Macro Investors Group. Since I'm the brainchild behind this idea, I get to use the lens first. Then the rotation will be based on where you stand in the investor queue.
06-05-2018, 05:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Perhaps a number of us can pool our funds and buy this lens, with the new owners rotating on a set basis (monthly for a $400 commitment or semi-monthly for a $200 commitment, based on 12 or 24 investors). It will become known as the Pentax Forum Macro Investors Group. Since I'm the brainchild behind this idea, I get to use the lens first. Then the rotation will be based on where you stand in the investor queue.
A nice idea but i think shipping charges would destroy us in the long run. And look at the traveling K1000, someone held on to that and it has a value much lower than this sweet thing.
06-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 16 (100%)
I was joking about the club but don't think the shipping would kill the deal, probably cost $25-35 with insurance per year. Then again, insurance for $5K might cost much more than I think. There would need to be strict rules, miss a ship date and you lose your next rotation.