Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 20 (100%)
[SOLD] Tokina 400mm f/5.6 SD lens

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Tokina 400mm f/5.6 SD lens

Asking Price

Item Description
Tokina 400mm f5.6 Manual Focus lens (K-Mount) - The SD version, which is much better than the RMC version (though inferior to the AT-X AF version).

This lens has been a good performer for me, but does have a few flaws with it. First of all, cosmetically, there is a circular mark made in the coating of the front element, and several small clusters of light micro-scratching. There is also several very light spots on one of the middle elements where fungus was cleaned up. These spots are barely noticeable when looking through the lens, and have no effect on the optical quality. Also, I guarantee that this lens is now fungus-free. Finally, there is a plastic shield in the rear of the mount that was cracked and has been repaired. It is now complete, and the only noticeable part of it is that the paint is a different color where it was repaired (this part is non-structural and has no effect on either operation or performance of the lens - this part is only to keep dust and other stuff from the inside of the lens).

This lens has the A-setting for automatic metering and exposure; however, the aperture-mechanism (the tab that connects the aperture blades to the camera) has been removed, so the lens only works now in stop-down mode, similar to the K 500mm 4.5, or M42 lenses. Personally, I find this much easier to use than normal K or M-series lenses, since you can use it in the camera's A-mode and stop down using the aperture ring. I will include this aperture mechanism, so that somebody knowledgeable about such things could probably replace it, if desired.

Otherwise, mechanical everything is great, aperture blades are snappy, etc. Two nice features of this lens are its sliding hood and its internal focus mechanism, which makes focusing a lens this long so much easier.

Comes with front and rear caps.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition
Used
Mint

Item Location
Oregon, USA

Shipping Charge
10 US/15 Canada/30 Worldwide

Shipping Services
USPS

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Additional Details
I always try to describe any little flaw in my lenses in detail, so there are no surprises for the buyer. In this case, many of these things sound worse than they are. This really is a nice lightweight lens to use, and has given me great results. I would recommend it as an inexpensive alternative to the Pentax K or M SMC 400mm 5.6 lenses.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

09-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pictures

Attachment 18616

Attachment 18617

Attachment 18618

Last edited by Rykoh; 09-26-2008 at 09:34 PM.
09-13-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some samples

Birds

Attachment 18640

A moonscape

Attachment 18641

A cat

Attachment 18642

and a landscape

Attachment 18647

Last edited by Rykoh; 09-26-2008 at 09:34 PM.
09-16-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tuesday bump. This really is a much nicer lens than the description would lead you to believe.