Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #1

Feedback Score: 104 (100%)
[SOLD] Brand New Pentax FA 24-90mm Autofocus Zoom Lens f3.5-4.5

For Sale: One Brand New Pentax FA 24-90mm Autofocus Zoom Lens f3.5-4.5 with the box, hood, front, rear caps, and all supplied documentation.

This is a full-frame lens covering one of the most useful ranges. It goes from a super wide angle to a medium telephoto. Even on a cropped digital sensor, it goes from a standard wide angle to a standard telephoto (36-135mm effective). It makes a great walk around lens.

Focal length aside, it features excellent image quality throughout its zoom range. Its lens elements include two aspherical elements and an ED element as well as ghostless coatings. This lens has a reputation of being very sharp and flare resistant. It has Internal Focusing (IF) so the front of the lens does not turn when focusing (for polarizer use) and the lens does not lengthen (except when zooming). Focusing is very fast and the zoom ring is comfortably damped.

Concerning build quality, many people have remarked that this lens has a bit of a tendancy to have barrel wobble (which does not affect image quality, but does affect comfort of use). I have check this sample and it has no discernable wobble when fully extended. The lens is very compact and the weight balances a K10D (and K20D, I assume) perfectly. The included hood is a special oval shaped hood that I haven't seen on any other Pentax lens. The hood mounts backwards on the lens for storage.

I purchased this lens and an identical one (a demo) at the same time. I am keeping the unboxed demo for my personal use. The picture above shows the demo lens (of course the one in the box looks identical). I have taken the boxed lens out of the box and mounted it just to make sure there isn't any problems with it. There isn't. It's perfect. In fact, it is marginally sharper on the long end than the demo. (But I figure, a boxed lens with certificates and everything would sell better anyways, and the difference was so, so small.) Sample is from my demo, I have never taken the boxed lens outdoors.

I was particularly interested in this lens at the 24mm end because it is only a 1/2 stop slower than most 24mm prime lenses. This lens does not disappoint. At f4.5, it is already quite sharp, and it is completely usable even at f3.5. I have used at least 4 other 24mm prime lenses and this zoom compares favorably (probably just about a 1/2 stop behind in image quality). On this forum, the rating for this lens is rather low because one guy apparently got a lemon a long time ago and gave it a "2". If you look carefully, everyone else is quite happy with their copy.

Sold $340 + shipping

Shipping is via USPS Priority Mail and Includes Insurance. Please do not ask for First Class Mail Shipping, I will not ship this item via First Class Mail for security reasons.

International buyers are most welcome.

Shipping is:

$15 in the US
$25 to Canada
$35 Internationally

I have very favorable ratings on this forum and on ebay. As for references if interested.

PS - I still have a few B+W Neutral Density Filters x2 55mm for $7. Get free shipping on one if you buy this lens.

Also this lens is still available, get discounted combined shipping if purchased with the FA zoom:

Soligar 28mm f2.5 prime lens

Last edited by Youngster; 12-03-2008 at 08:25 PM.
09-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
This is one of my favorite lenses. For what it's worth, the hood appears to be interchangeable with the one included with the DA 16-45--which makes some sense as they are both 67mm, internal focus, and were designed for 24mm equiv. angle of view.
09-25-2008, 01:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 9 (100%)
Is this Fa* or just Fa?
09-25-2008, 01:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 149 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Is this Fa* or just Fa?
Only FA I think. There is only three FA* zoom lenses: FA*2870, 80-200 and 250-600.

09-27-2008, 11:07 PM   #5

Feedback Score: 104 (100%)
Original Poster
Second Price Reduction

Price reduced to $340+shipping for a brand new lens.

This is the final price reduction before going to ebay.

It's a great lens. Super useful focal length. Very good sharpness and perfect size.
09-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
PM sent with interest