PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
smc Pentax 18mm f/3.5 lens, with caps and case

Asking Price
260.00 USD

Item Location
Ottawa ,Ontario (Canada)

Item Description
The smc Pentax 18mm f/3.5 is an uncommon lens Ė it appears infrequently in the market and is mentioned sporadically online. My copy is redundant to my needs, so here's your rare chance to add this full-frame ultra wide-angle lens to your kit.

Design and Characteristics.
The ĎKí 18/3.5 lens is known for its superb rendering, high contrast, gorgeous colour saturation, and pleasant bokeh, and has been compared favourably to its notable Zeiss and Olympus 18mm contemporaries. Flare, distortion, purple fringing and other chromatic aberrations are fairly well controlled for an ultra wide-angle lens of this vintage. Itís sharp, especially through the centre third of the frame at all apertures, although Ė not surprisingly Ė it can be a touch soft at the edges and corners wide open.

A convenient built-in filter wheel provides cloudy (81A), skylight (1A), yellow (Y48/Y2) and orange (O56/O2) filters.

Glass. No fungus, scratches, cleaning marks or element separation. Some light internal dust.

Upon cursory inspection, the glass appears clean and clear with no blemishes. A close look with a powerful flashlight reveals a faint non-uniform transparent haze on the second-rearmost element. This is not element separation Ė itís a single element Ė and itís not characteristic of fungus. Itís not visible under typical viewing conditions (e.g., holding the lens up to a window, bright sky, or white computer screen; or on-camera through-the-lens viewing). Iíve tried to show it as best as I can in the picture below.

Cleaning the haze: I am adept at servicing manual focus lenses, having worked on a number of them successfully with appropriate tools and techniques. I was unable to clear the hazy element with 99% isopropyl alcohol, diluted acetone, hydrogen peroxide, or any normal lens cleaning solution, including overnight soaks. I did not introduce any scratches or damage on the element, and reassembled the lens to its original state, including correctly aligning and positioning the element. Not to worry -- I refrained from polishing it!

I have found that the lens produces images on my K-3 II that are consistent with the various user reports and sample images that Iíve seen, in terms of sharpness, contrast, saturation, etc. I canít attest that the haze has zero affect on image quality, but I havenít seen any attributable artefacts, even when closely comparing against similar images from my DA 18-135mm. Please see my sample images below.

Body and mechanical. The body is in excellent condition. There are several pinpoint nicks on the filter selection ring and some surface wear on the rear baffle.

The manual focus action is smooth and nicely damped across the entire range, and the aperture Ďclicksí are positive. The aperture blades are clean and snappy, free of marks and oil. A slight rattle is noticeable when the lens is jiggled deliberately at a couple of the filter settings, which I believe is caused by the normal mechanical play in the filter wheel (at each filter setting, the rattle changes or vanishes).

Focus at infinity has been tested and confirmed.

Accounting for the nature of the haze and the positive optical performance of the lens, I've graded the lens as 'fair' and I'm asking a price that I believe is considerably below market average.

Included: Lens; front push-on soft-plastic lens cap (Pentax, 60mm); Pentax rear cap; original case (fair condition).

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Fair

Shipping Destinations
North America

Shipping Charge
To Canada and USA: USD $22-37 depending on destination and delivery service

Shipping Services
Canada Post, USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Other (Elaborate)

Return Policy & Additional Details
Payment method: PayPal. Canadian buyers may also pay by Interac e-Transfer (preferred).

If you have any questions or issues with the item, please let me know within 3 days of receipt. Returns are accepted if the item is not as described in the listing.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-22-2018 at 06:11 PM.
11-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 16 (100%)
Original Poster
Bump.
11-30-2018, 08:46 PM   #3

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
Damn. I just got the original version on eBay, and had to put some work into it to clean out fungus. If I hadn't, I'd have bought this in a New York minute.
12-01-2018, 12:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 8 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by LXNights Quote
New York minute
How fast is one of those minutes?

12-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 93 (100%)
I just checked one here. It was exactly sixty seconds.

Chris in New York
12-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I thought it was the time between the traffic light turning green and the driver behind sounding his horn.
12-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LXNights Quote
I just got the original version on eBay, and had to put some work into it to clean out fungus. If I hadn't, I'd have bought this in a New York minute.
Thanks for looking! Would you like a second copy as a spare?

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I thought it was the time between the traffic light turning green and the driver behind sounding his horn.
Oh, I thought it was the interval between listing and selling a lens in the MarketPlace here. No?

Anyways, thanks for looking. I'm sure that someone will be interested in adding this uncommon lens to their kit.

12-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris in New York
This comment literally got me to laugh out loud. Nice lens, too! Cheers.
12-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump for possible interest in this rare lens.
12-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #10

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
You guys should know New York minutes have a 10 second pre-set on it
12-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A bump for this compact ultra-wide angle lens -- it fits in the palm of your hand!

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2018 at 16:16 ----------

Thanks for looking.

Sold.