Item for Sale
MIJ FA31 (sold) MIJ FA77 (450 USD)

Asking Price
450.00 USD

Item Location
Edmonton (Canada)

Item Description
FULL DISCLOSURE

i sold these lenses together to a member on here for 1100 USD for both of them. fees included, shipped.

upon receipt the purchaser claimed that there was a "Grinding noise" when manually focusing the lenses. the sound made i couldn't describe as "grinding", it's more a mechanical whirr or buzz, i presume from the screwdrive assembly. i believe this noise to be normal and it is shown in this video at the 0:50 second mark

both lenses make some noise when focusing, especially if you wrap the manual focus ring quickly from stop to stop (not exactly something you'd ever do with a lens). the 31 is louder than the 77, but it also has a shorter focus throw, so the screw will be moving faster (more mechanical noise) for a given focus ring speed. the focus rings on both lenses move VERY smoothly without any indication of notchiness or inconsistency anywhere along their travel.

the buyer also complained about dust in the 77, and there is, but i've never seen a lens without it. i don't find it to be excessive at all, and certainly it doesn't affect image quality

finally, the buyer complained about "smudging" on the lens barrels.

both of these lenses are in used but (i'd say) very good condition. if you look at them closely you will find marks in the anodizing (most notably on the underside of the lenses near the aperture ring), but the finish is still black and has not burned through. on the focus rings there are a couple of places you can see the anodizing has worn off the very points of the knurling, but again i don't think this is an issue. these are, of course, used lenses.

even though the buyer complained about the lenses, and returned them, he suggested that these were an "8 or an 8+".

finally, the 31 has a slight barrel wobble, which i have never found to be an issue, and has been discussed to death on these boards. if you hold the lens and pull at it, you can see (and hear) a slight movement in the front barrel. i presume that as a lens is used the clearances will relax. again, this is full disclosure.

both lenses come with the original caps, original boxes, and original documentation. they'll make a geat addition to someone's bag.

the prices for these lenses includes paypal fees and shipping within north america.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
North America

Shipping Charge
included

Shipping Services
canada post

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
returns accepted if warranted

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by wibbly; 12-20-2018 at 07:17 PM.
12-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 25 (100%)
Very nice lenses! This is why I will not sell anything on this market! Everyone wants new quality at a used give away price!

Last edited by kjphilippona; 12-13-2018 at 01:41 PM.
12-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
Original Poster
it's a big of a set back for sure. i had everything sold, not a pentax thing to my name. and now i'm back again. oh well it happens.

i've had very good luck with the marketplace so i don't necessarily agree with your statement. i originally sold these lenses for less than almost any others i could find listed, i figured that was a great deal. now i have them priced even lower as i don't even have a pentax camera.
12-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
Yeah my FA 43 also made the same mechanical sound, I assume it's just part of the screwdrive design for these lenses.

12-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #5

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
As a buyer, I wouldn't make a make a big fuss about minor cosmetic blemishes. After all, they are used lenses. Also, dust inside lenses is a fact of life, and It doesn't (or rather shouldn't) effect image quality.

However, wobbling barrel is something that might scare off some people. Everyone should understand that over time and extended use lens mechanics might get a bit loose. If only the barrel wobbles and not the focusing ring, then as a buyer I wouldn't worry about that as well.

That said, the 31mm that you are trying to sell does not have any barrel movement around the focusing ring as depicted in the youtube video found in this link, correct?

12-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll have a closer look when I get back. Could make a video I suppose.

---------- Post added 12-13-18 at 08:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ebayatli Quote
As a buyer, I wouldn't make a make a big fuss about minor cosmetic blemishes. After all, they are used lenses. Also, dust inside lenses is a fact of life, and It doesn't (or rather shouldn't) effect image quality.

However, wobbling barrel is something that might scare off some people. Everyone should understand that over time and extended use lens mechanics might get a bit loose. If only the barrel wobbles and not the focusing ring, then as a buyer I wouldn't worry about that as well.

That said, the 31mm that you are trying to sell does not have any barrel movement around the focusing ring as depicted in the youtube video found in this link, correct?

this is the best i could do to capture what i'm talking about. the focus ring doesn't move, just the barrel ever so slightly. i also tried to show the screwdrive noise, then again moving slowly to show it's silent when you're not reefing on it.

12-13-2018, 11:01 PM   #7

In my opinion, the wobble that I see from your video is nothing to be concerned about at all.

12-13-2018, 11:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's what I thought. Just trying to be crystal clear here. Both lenses provided beautiful pictures for me.

12-14-2018, 04:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

OMG mine has the same wobble! they must be twins
12-14-2018, 06:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I used to buy a 15 ltd here, and there was a disclaimer about the "grinding" when manually focused. I never really bother about that, since I would rarely maually focus the 15mm (and to be frank, the noise was not as bad as described). So, I bought a really nice and sharp limited for a really good price and I took wonderful pics with this lens that is now one of my favorites on aps-c. This15 ltd is indeed still controlling my mind..
(I just whish they would make the same for FF).
Good luck with your sale!
12-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
bump.

these are two beautiful lenses, don't let the full disclosure put you off. the quality of images from these two is sensational.
12-19-2018, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
I'll add that the whirring noise is normal, my 77mm did it and so does my 15mm limited
12-20-2018, 05:04 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Fire sale prices. Love both lenses and this should make someone happy.
12-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pm sent