PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Vivitar (Porst) 55mm f/1.2 m42

Asking Price
170.00 USD 160 USD

Item Location
Spring Green, WI (United States)

Item Description
This Vivitar 55/1.2 is the Porst version of the lens. Soft wide open at f/1.2, sharpens up considerably within a stop and a half, very sharp by f/4.

The glass is clean, the aperture clean and snappy. The focussing has a bit of a rough spot as it approaches infinity, but not in portrait range or closer. When I got the lens, it had been sitting unused for years, and that rough spot was much more pronounced. I think my using it and just the fact that it hasn't been in the same position for the last year has smoothed it out some, but a bit of that roughness remains. The damping is nice, though.

The photos below show some roughness in a section the filter threading. I haven't tried screwing in a filter, so I can't say if one would go on not. If I had to guess, I'd guess yes, but that would be a guess.

I got this screw-mount version a year ago and have used it some, but not a lot. I find myself using my Pentax M or K 50/1.4 lenses instead. But the bokeh on the Vivitar is . . . well, unique. It can get crazy sometimes, yielding very interesting results.

I'm including a couple photos I made last night to show how the lens sharpens up at f/2.8; the first triceratops image was made at f/1.2; the second image was made at f/2.8. They're not great photos; I really made them to examine the change in image quality. I adjusted the exposure of each image, and I also applied a small amount of sharpening in LR, 57/1.9, and LR applied normal sharpening during export.

$160 US, PayPal. Please note that the price includes insured shipping via Priority Mail. (I prefer to ship within the contiguous US, but if a potential buyer is willing to pay for shipping otherwhere, I'll consider that.)

Thanks for looking!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
Continental U.S. Only

Shipping Charge
included in price

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Buyer may return lens within 3 days of receipt if not as described. Buyer responsible for return shipping, insured, via Priority Mail or FedEx.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by grey goat; 05-27-2019 at 09:11 AM. Reason: detail about filter threading
05-21-2019, 02:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 31 (100%)
Original Poster
Here are two other images made with the Vivitar 55/1.2.

The first is a macro landscape of moss; I made this one with the lens wide open at f/1.2, which gives you an idea of the bokeh this lens produces.

The second is of our cat Tuulikki. I'm sure I made this one at f/1.2 as well, but the lack of highlights in the background means the bokeh is nowhere near as pronounced as in the moss image. This photo of Tuulikki also shows how sharp the Vivitar 55/1.2 can be if you nail the focus.

Right now I can't recall how much sharpening I applied to either of these images, but I still believe they reveal something of the lens's character.

---------- Post added 05-27-2019 at 11:13 AM ----------

"Mew," says Tuuli the cat; "A price drop. But where's the tuna?" [note from grey goat: There's no tuna included with this lens.]

---------- Post added 05-27-2019 at 11:21 AM ----------

bump. . . .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by grey goat; 05-27-2019 at 09:22 AM.
05-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
bump for bokeh. . . .
05-29-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
Bump for Tuuli, who reminds my wife and I of our late Tiger. We say Tuuli gets all the tuna!

06-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
pm sent for lens
06-02-2019, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider rob Quote
Bump for Tuuli, who reminds my wife and I of our late Tiger. We say Tuuli gets all the tuna!
Thanks, raider rob! I'm glad she's bringing a bit of joy into others' lives, too, especially her reminding you of Tiger. She's a sweetie and a snuggler, and she doesn't seem to know or care that she's a runt (her brother is very different, long and lithe): she doesn't back down from any of our three other cats.

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
pm sent for lens
Thanks, pepperberry farm. I'm about to look at the filter threading with a loupe now--rather, as soon as the coffee kicked in and my eyes wake up. I'll get back to you soon.
06-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Two more photos of the Porst--that is, the Vivitar 55/1.2. No cropping, shot at 1:1 or close to it, edited to show detail.

The first image shows the damage to the filter threading--and plainly shows what I'd overlooked before, that the filter size is 55mm. Perhaps this image will help you form an opinion on whether a filter will actually thread onto the lens, but I'm still hoping to borrow a 55mm filter to find out for sure. Part of me thinks that the damage could be cleaned up enough to fit a filter or hood on the lens, but obviously I haven't done that.

The second image shows what I thought was a bit of dust on the lens. Looking at it with a loupe, however, I realized it was a tiny gouge or chip. It's just to the left of dead center in this image, an elliptical spot. It's small--about the size of the inner part of the "6" above it--and hasn't, so far as I can tell, impacted the lens's IQ at all. But it is there, and may be related to the damage to the filter ring. (Looking at lens surfaces with a loupe is a bit scary. There are tiny, tiny scratches or scuffs that the naked eye doesn't reveal--again, so slight, no effect on IQ. But, again, they're there.)

Anyway, take a look at the images and see what you think. If and when I find a 55mm filter, I'll post another update. . . .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
06-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 16 (100%)
P.M. sent with question.