Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 9 (100%)
[SOLD] SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2

Asking Price
500 US

Item Description
It is aperture f1.2 not f2. (Just in case)

This lens has been in my possession for almost 2 years. It is well built and has earned me quite a bit of cash to sponsor this expensive hobby.

Manual focus lens. Smooth manual focus control. Reliable optical quality.

One thing to note:

The front element of this lens has been modified for lab work by the previous 1st owner (I am the third owner). The modification was needed to fit the lens onto a laboratory set-up. The lens itself is in pristine condition and the front glass elements is untouched and unharmed.

There is no original lens cap where a pinch grip cap is fitted onto.

My gallery of A 50mm f1.2 images are shown here

A 50mm f1.2 gallery

Cheers

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition
Used
Mint

Item Location
Melbourne Australia

Shipping Charge
20 US

Shipping Services
International post

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Additional Details
This will be listed for 1 week. After that, I will put it on ebay.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

10-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
Oh man. We need a drooling emoticon.
10-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 149 (100%)
I made a mistake selling this one a while ago, and I see someone is making the same mistake now ...

Pity I don't have extra fund for this one, otherwise I don't mind buying it back.
10-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
just from the drugstore - prescription filled

10-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Oh man. We need a drooling emoticon.
It is a great lens and it copes with spetacular highlight better than Canon 50mm f1.2L. Why am I selling it? I am investing another system.

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I made a mistake selling this one a while ago, and I see someone is making the same mistake now ...

Pity I don't have extra fund for this one, otherwise I don't mind buying it back.

Frank, I know what you are thinking Thanks for the heads up.

I hardly regret selling my lens collection as I consider lens purchase as burning cash. Once money is spent on a lens, my money is already burnt off. To get money back is a bonus and this is a lesson from my previous investment with canon L primes and zooms. Sean Carpenter sold this lens too. I think this lens will be better used by someone who will utilise this lens better with better skill.

I deliberately lower the pricing of the lens in pentaxforum marketplace. At ebay, I am sure I will get better price.
10-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 30 (100%)
Oh man, what are you doing...?
10-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
didn't you notice that Joele from .AU is selling his (her) stuff too...

10-07-2008, 10:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
At ebay, I am sure I will get better price.
at ebay you are going against new one in the box from matsuiyastore
10-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
Roentarre...... you are selling precious???? (sorry just had to use that line that I saw another forum member use regarding a limited 77 and reference to the Lord of the Rings). I have this lens and to me it would be my precious. I guess because it makes me work hard and toil more than any of my other lenses, sometimes it seems a tad cruel, but when it all comes together the images are pure magic. When considering selective DOF / targeting elements this lens is a surgeon / sniper and can deliver DOF in waffle thin like increments. It can also be a magnificent light sponge that can absorb light from scenes that other lenses would render dark. This is truly a useful lens / weapon to have tucked in your camera bag, plus some serious bragging rights (as one of Pentax’s faster lenses).
10-08-2008, 12:21 AM   #10

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
How does this stack up to the A 50 1.4, besides the extra .2 aperture?

Sharper wide open? Less CA?
10-08-2008, 12:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 17 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
didn't you notice that Joele from .AU is selling his (her) stuff too...
his ;-)

sorry for the off topic James..
10-08-2008, 04:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Jose, thanks for the concern. I had an agenda beforehand and made this decision to sell. Though that particular agenda is no longer my priority, I think I will see how it goes with the sale. You see that I am not in a hurry

frank already tried to stop me from selling it and he is really a nice guy. I will see how this one goes anyway.

p.s. When I sold my canon 14mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8 IS, 100mm f2, 300mm f2.8L, 24mm TSE and 180mm f3.5L 2 years ago to purchase pentax gear, I had no regrets and of course, these lenses are no pentax A* quality. But they are surely expensive to buy, cheap to sell. I guess my guts are hardened.
10-08-2008, 04:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
Roentarre...... you are selling precious???? (sorry just had to use that line that I saw another forum member use regarding a limited 77 and reference to the Lord of the Rings). I have this lens and to me it would be my precious. I guess because it makes me work hard and toil more than any of my other lenses, sometimes it seems a tad cruel, but when it all comes together the images are pure magic. When considering selective DOF / targeting elements this lens is a surgeon / sniper and can deliver DOF in waffle thin like increments. It can also be a magnificent light sponge that can absorb light from scenes that other lenses would render dark. This is truly a useful lens / weapon to have tucked in your camera bag, plus some serious bragging rights (as one of Pentax’s faster lenses).
To be honest, this lens was from Jonas B who treated this lens as his precious. He still sent me messages regarding how this lens was going. I think I have not used this lens to the best of its capability and seeing that Jonas B candid work from using this lens is really putting a shame on me.

Again, he sold the lens for reasons that he is switching to a different brand and needing cash at the time. I was blown away with his sample images and you see none of his images floating around on the net because he is very concerned about image theft these days. He probably put codes on all his image with the lowest resolution possible on the web display then deleted after a few days.

I am fickle and my current precious is actually Fa 31 ltd that is least used.

What gets used the most is Fa* 80-200mm f2.8 even though I think it is very over-rated. What prompted me to keep that lens is the vanity. No matter how terrible the images are from this lens, people would say wonderful things about them as soon as I said the shots are taken by this zoom.

A 50mm f1.2 requires an effort to try to use. I often carried it with my travel but its keeper rate with wide aperture gets about 1% keeper rate. All pentax 50mm has the same sharpness at f2; so buying this lens needs justification.

I can still remember the recent messages sent to me calling me gear heads and a ****** for owning these lenses from friendly members etc... Maybe selling lenses helps to improve that image.
10-08-2008, 04:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
his ;-)

sorry for the off topic James..
No problems, kind of funny to read this. LOL
10-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 31 (100%)
i asked in another thread but i guess you didn't see it. what are you going to do with all the proceeds?

personally it's kind of disturbing to see people dumping gear like this. in the DSLR forums we always have the people who try to "keep the peace" and say that Pentax is great but seeing people leave and sell their gear isn't a good sign of this. especially when the economy's down and the sales aren't so hot and people are still willing to sell.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
A 50mm f1.2 requires an effort to try to use. I often carried it with my travel but its keeper rate with wide aperture gets about 1% keeper rate. All pentax 50mm has the same sharpness at f2; so buying this lens needs justification.
QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
I have this lens and to me it would be my precious. I guess because it makes me work hard and toil more than any of my other lenses, sometimes it seems a tad cruel, but when it all comes together the images are pure magic. When considering selective DOF / targeting elements this lens is a surgeon / sniper and can deliver DOF in waffle thin like increments. It can also be a magnificent light sponge that can absorb light from scenes that other lenses would render dark. This is truly a useful lens / weapon to have tucked in your camera bag, plus some serious bragging rights (as one of Pentax’s faster lenses).
bragging rights is one of the reasons i bought it. but in the end it for me didn't seem worth the effort. it's one thing to have awesomely thin DOF, but another to find the correct situations to use it. after the initial novelty factor then it sinks in. i like how you used the word TOIL because that's exactly what that lens makes you do at F1.2. focus bracketing would be a wise idea to say the least.

i wrote a bunch of stuff on the lens here if anyone's interested
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/27090-pentax-5...on-photos.html

personally i'm quite saddened that Sean Carpenter has sold his, because his tests on the 50's is the most comprehensive 50 test ever done for pentax online. and he concluded this was the best