PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Pentax K10D IR Infrared Converted 720nm with D-BG2 Grip

Asking Price
150.00 USD

Item Location
Utah (United States)

Item Description
I'm selling my first Pentax IR body as I've recently had my K-01 converted to full spectrum.

I bought this from eBay - the seller did not know the wavelength but I believe it is 720nm from the output it produces.

Body in overall great condition. There were some scratches to the LCD when it came to me - I've added a glass screen protector (I managed to get a smudge on it as i put it on but its not visible when the camera is on). I've added the grip, which works as it should. Comes with a charger and two batteries, one does no seem to hold a charge well, but I'm throwing it in anyway.

I've attached a couple of sample pictures. I've found that if the pictures are particularly light or overexposed, there appears to be a herringbone pattern visible - just want to be completely honest about my experience with this camera (see the overexposed shot of the mountains). The sensor could probably do with a clean as there are a few dust spots visible.

Feel free to ask any questions,.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
Free in USA, Elsewhere at cost depending on location

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Only if not as described

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by rosettaquarrier; 12-01-2019 at 01:32 PM.
07-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 85 (100%)
Original Poster
Now with Free USA Shipping
07-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Might be interested, but question

Hi!

I'm only window-shopping for now, but I'm someone who has done a fair bit of IR photography with old digicams (prior to 2006, many mid-level digital cameras had no IR-blocking filter).

Do you use/need an IR-pass filter on your lens when you use this converted Pentax?

Thanks!
07-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi - no filter needed, these are all straight through a variety of lenses. Some post processing on them, but no filters used. Thanks

07-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, I'm possibly interested. Could you post some more B&W shots? Or PM me if you don't want to post them publicly.

Using an IR-pass filter on my pre-2006 digicam, I must tripod use looonng exposure times of 2-8 seconds. Does an IR converted k10 need long exposures, or can you shoot landscapes handheld?
07-04-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
HI, No problem, a couple more attached. All converted to B&W in Apple Photos

All these were shot hand-held, no need for a tripod!! I love the way clouds look in the black sky with IR

Last edited by rosettaquarrier; 12-01-2019 at 01:32 PM.
07-05-2019, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
@PocketPixels, I have a full spectrum converted K1 because I shoot both IR and UV.
A couple of wonderful things about using a converted camera is you can hand hold using normal shutter speeds and low ISO, plus you can achieve spot on focusing without having to use the IR hashmark on the lens as in the film era. LV and SR are excellent for this.
The 720nm is a great all around start point, as you can do both the deep blue skies with light foliage (with color swapping in post) to good B&W detail. You are still free to add higher transmission filters (88 and 87 series) to the front of the lens for more contrasty B&W work.
Having the converted camera has brought alot of joy to shooting IR for me. If you go for it, be wary though - you might find it to be extremely addictive

07-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sunday bump - off to eBay soon if there are no takers here.
07-08-2019, 07:12 PM   #9

Do you still have this camera? I am planning a trip to Yellowstone and this could be a cool (or should I say warm) addition.

I am just starting to learn about IR photography. If I am right this is measuring the heat signatures of items with the hotter items being brighter. But when I look at pictures of the creek, the water is brighter than the banks or the rocks in the stream. Where am I going wrong?

Will all of my Pentax K mount glass from my K-73 and k-70 fit this camera or it limited to certain lenses?

Finally, do I need any filters for my lenses beyong the UV, CP, ND, etc. filters I already own?
07-08-2019, 07:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi, I still have it. Yellowstone would be a great place to try it out.

Infrared is a different creature to thermal imagery- see this primer:

https://www.adorama.com/alc/how-do-infrared-cameras-work?

I believe all K-mount glass, both AF and manual, will work. The body has contacts to work with the latest SDM lenses.

You would not need any filters - but of course could experiment with them to see what happens.