Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2008, 02:42 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
The UK street price is now around £579 incl. our 17.5% VAT, just about everywhere.

That's £492.77 w/o tax = US $836, so UK is cheaper! WOW!

10-14-2008, 03:09 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 30 (100%)
The extended warranty is a good idea. My K10D is 13 months old and has developed a problem with the mirror. Of course, I don't have an extended warranty
10-14-2008, 06:41 AM   #33
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
The extended warranty is a good idea. My K10D is 13 months old and has developed a problem with the mirror. Of course, I don't have an extended warranty

Extended warranties are losers. Why do you think they push them so hard? Somebody's making a ton of money and it's not the consumer.
10-14-2008, 06:55 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
didn't catch that... good idea for when the cashback is available
but who knows how long it will be up for? once the cashback is gone, putting it up on ebay won't be worth it.
nobody is saying to put all in advance - but if buyer is calling and asking, can you please do this for me - why not... and you can always have one sitting there, once sold - put another one... just my 2c.

10-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
That's a great offer. I'd get one if I didn't have one already. I'm surprised how much we're talking about how to sell it rather than just buying it It's a pretty good deal and is good for this online community.
how about to put your money where your mouth is - buy it
10-14-2008, 07:07 AM   #36
m8o
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by bobjames Quote
Extended warranties are losers. Why do you think they push them so hard? Somebody's making a ton of money and it's not the consumer.
What is with the posts here? Are people reading? You do realize you replied to someone who said they could immediately make use of the warranty to save money, that it's a waste of money?! Just as I could have saved money if I had it... Then there's the highest poster in this thread, so concerned about what's good for the forum but is not site supporter whereas some have paid the more than once in one year to support it, won't be going for this deal because they have the camera, and is telling someone who said it's a great deal and they'd go for it if they didn't already have the camera, to go buy the camera!!!

My close to $300 I paid to bring my K10D back from near death would beg to differ about it not being worth it. And I was kicking myself for not getting it on my K10D when purchased, but I had such a sh*itty time w/the B&H sales person I was dealing with that just needed to get out of there was all I had on my mind... Chances are extremely high the K20D as the 2nd DSLR I've owned will be handled with greater care and not be abused, but, I'm happy to buy that insurance when affordable.... $49 is affordable.

Last edited by m8o; 10-14-2008 at 07:21 AM.
10-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
MyZX-L pentax film body came with a 4 year pentax factory waranty bump. Included a cool little credit card looking thing for the additional coverage.

My samsung dslrs came with 3 additional years so a total of four years coverage. They just had a simple bundle of paper included for additional zero deductable & transferable warranty.

Is this 2 year warranty on the K20D your selling a pentax offered item or is it a mack, or sage max, or ? , warranty?

Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
My close to $300 I paid to bring my K10D back from near death would beg to differ. And I was kicking myself for not getting it on my K10D when purchased, but I had such a sh*itty time w/the B&H sales person I was dealing with that just needed to get out of there was all I had on my mind... Chances are extremely high the K20D as the 2nd DSLR I've owned will be handled with greater care and not be abused, but, I'm happy to buy that insurance when affordable.... $49 is affordable.

10-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
$49 is affordable.
$50, not $49 - but it is a good value for 2 years, unless you plan to dump K20D and to upgrade to K30D immediately once available.

pentax sells warranties alone for $100...

however also take a note that you need to send $20 to cover shipping & handling if you are using it (warranty)... so the real cost is at least $70 in this deal and at least $120 if buying directly from Pentax (at least = 1 repair)... $70 sounds like a good investment in ~$700 camera.
10-14-2008, 07:52 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Is this 2 year warranty on the K20D your selling a pentax offered item or is it a mack, or sage max, or ? , warranty?
good question though... I hope it is... Pentax offers one camera check up during the extended warranty period, so you can at least send it in to have sensor cleaned
10-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #40
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
[QUOTE=m8o;367152]What is with the posts here? Are people reading? You do realize you replied to someone who said they could immediately make use of the warranty to save money, that it's a waste of money?!

The conclusion is inescapable that, if warranties are being sold, they are profitable for the seller, and not the buyer. The seller is betting your item won't need fixing and you're betting it will. The seller wins. Statistics and his bank account provide evidence.

The person who wrote that he regretted not getting the warranty is now in danger of believing he should buy an extended warranty every time he buys something. He will surely lose money if he does. He played the game well and lost, now he will adopt a bad strategy and lose big.
10-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #41
Veteran Member

You can always check your credit card terms if they extend the standard warranty. My CC does extend warranty for up to 1 year.
10-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #42

Feedback Score: 9 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
Or he can just pull the deal and no one gets it. STFU already. His products, his deals, he can do what he wants. Why are you whining about it when you're obviously not gonna take advantage of this anyway?
Seems to me most of the replies regarding the price violate the forum rules, but davesz - jeez, no need to be so nasty!
10-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
It is what it is.

If you like the price, buy it. If you don't, move along!

10-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #44
m8o
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by bobjames Quote
The conclusion is inescapable that, if warranties are being sold, they are profitable for the seller, and not the buyer. The seller is betting your item won't need fixing and you're betting it will. The seller wins. Statistics and his bank account provide evidence.

The person who wrote that he regretted not getting the warranty is now in danger of believing he should buy an extended warranty every time he buys something. He will surely lose money if he does. He played the game well and lost, now he will adopt a bad strategy and lose big.
I know... I used to sell them on the Video Deck (raised platform like a messanian) @ Crazy Eddie's when I worked there in the late 80's... AND it was the only thing I'd get commission on.

Doesn't change the fact that with some judicious analysis on a price/reward basis coupled to someone's risk level, some technology does indeed warrant it when that something is not at 'commodity' levels of pricinng. That being technology that's highly compact, complex, is heavily used/handled, and at a cost level where the [I, the] owner considers it not to be a commodity item easily/cheaply replaced if it were to fail.

Feel free to spend your $ the way you what. I & a few others will too, and I don't have to agree w/your opinion on the utility of it if my analysis of risk/reward differs from yours. Had I not been stuck with a bastard of a salesman @ B&H and had bought the warranty @ the time I'd be a few $$$ ahead. Hey, I just happened to call IBM up today and followed-up my IBM X61 purchase w/an 2-yr extended warranty on that, not liking the feel of the keyboard & swivel screen's pivot point. Miserere had a point regarding the irony of his having not bought the warranty. I have the right to support that given my experience as well.

Last edited by m8o; 10-14-2008 at 11:54 AM.
10-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 14 (100%)
Shot Chris. I bought my K20D about a month ago. If I hadn't I would be getting one from you.

Jim