PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Tamron SP 52EP 90mm f2.5 AF Macro 1:2

Asking Price
120.00 USD

Item Location
Aurora, CO (United States)

Item Description

This is the last version of the Tamron model 52, with autofocus. The previous versions were Adaptall mounts but this one has a dedicated Pentax mount. Optically the lens is the same as the manual focus Adaptall-2 version. AF versions have full electrical contacts, a shorter focus throw (180 degrees) and a focus limiter. The lens body is metal with a rubber focus ring at the front. Build quality is excellent. Filter size is 52mm.

When the focus limiter switch is turned to Limit, the focus is either about 2 feet (0.6m) to infinity or 1.29 feet (0.39m) to 2 feet (0.6m). In magnification terms, the closeup range is 1:2 to almost 1:4. In my use, I set it to the closeup range for macros and the distant range for general purpose use, like portraits. The distant range is similar to some 85mm lenses or the DA70. It makes this lens very versatile.

Reviews of all the model 52 lenses should apply. Read those, it's really good. I feel compelled to mention the one flaw. The rear element is really flat, and reflections off the sensor can cause a visible purple spot in the center of the frame. It becomes obvious at f11 but it's there at f8. Mostly it's not there - see the reviews. I think the classic worst case is a product shot of a lens on a white background. My theory is that bright surroundings in the frame make the reflections worse. When I came up with this theory, I adjusted my framing and think it fixed the issue. I bought the Tamron 272 because of the siren song of 1:1 macro, but it was not really necessary.

Unfortunately I don't have the hood. The front element is very recessed at infinity so a hood isn't all that important for general purpose use. The lens does tell the camera its focal length but doesn't have any name in Lightroom. I use a program called LensTagger to add a name to the EXIF.

An album with more photos is here: Tamron 52EP | Flickr

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
Included US, ask int'l

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
returns if not as described

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

11-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 44 (100%)
I have the earlier 52BB - same as this one, optically - and even though I have the hood I never use it. The infamous "purple spot" has only appeared a couple times for me, and a slight adjustment to the composition solved that. A very, very good lens.