Item for Sale
Sekonic L398 Hand-Held Light Meter:

Asking Price
50.00 USD

Item Location
Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

Item Description
Sekonic L398 Light Meter:
If you have ever wondered if you needed a hand-held light meter, this meter will convince you. It does not require batteries, is simple to use, provides instant readings, does not make the mistakes that your camera does, fits in your shirt pocket and I have used it in -28 degree weather. Its primarily use is incident meter readings, but does reflected readings with optional accessories (all still available) but most cameras do an excellent job of reflected readings.

https://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/3369/incident-vs-reflected-light-a...better-photos/

https://blog.pond5.com/7066-perfecting-exposure-how-and-when-to-use-a-light-meter/

It has been continuously manufactured by Sekonic since 1976 and is still being made today, 2022, some 46 years, which I am sure must be a record for longevity of a photographic accessory.

Sekonic L-398 - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

They have made three models, an L398, L398M and the current model an L398A. The only difference between them is the size of the print on the dial!

They made a gold faced version to commemorate their one millionth unit, and produced the same one recently for their 70th year in business. It sells for $498 US, very pretty, but I think I will pass!

Sekonic celebrates 70th anniversary with a limited-edition, retro-inspired light meter: Digital Photography Review

I think I have only had this one for about 40 years and a few years ago I broke the swivel housing (two components) and when I contacted the Canadian distributor, they had all the parts in stock, threw in two new screws and I had them in a week. To say I was amazed would be a huge understatement, gob-smacked might be more appropriate!

Why am I selling it? I replaced it with the newer model. Did I need to? …NO, why did I replace it? … because I could! I simply told myself that at my age I need the larger print. BTW when you talk to yourself it’s called a “staff meeting”.

The manual did not survive the years, but included will be a thumb drive with printable PDF copies of the manuals for all three models, a “Quick Start Guide”, a brochure, and the production history.

If you read all this, I hope you enjoyed the story!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
Continental US & Canada $17.50 US

Shipping Services
Canada Post

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Return allowed if not as stated.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo   
02-20-2022, 08:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
I definitely enjoyed your little writeup of a cool piece of gear. Thanks. No batteries! Basically unchanged in production for 46 years! That's pretty cool!
Good luck with sale.
03-20-2022, 04:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 56 (100%)
Original Poster
Bump!

Bump to the top