Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #1

Feedback Score: 104 (100%)
[SOLD] Pentax-A 100mm f2.8 Lens Rare Non-Macro Version

For Sale is one Pentax A 100mm f2.8 Prime Lens.

This is the rather rare non-macro "A" version. Weighing in at a mere 260grams, it is exceedingly compact and light (much lighter and shorter than the 100mm macro which weighs about twice as much). Barely bigger than a FA50 (see photo).

The construction quality is very good. The body is made completely of metal, even the built-in hood. The lens has a very quality feel. Of course this is a manual focus lens, but with the "A" setting for automatic aperature control and will allow easy use of PTTL and Auto flashes.

The M version of this lens is much more common, but has garnered very good reviews nonetheless (check reviews section of this forum). This A version has everything the M version has in addition to a built in hood (very handy) and reportedly better and more updated coatings (I can vouch first hand that it is extremely flare proof).

This particular sample is in very good condition. The glass is perfect. No scratches, yellowing or fungus. The multicoating is beautiful and shimmers brightly. The aperature ring clicks solidly and the blades are snappy. Focus is smooth and damped with no looseness. Hood slides out easily. The body shows minor wear and a bit of brassing. The only problem with this lens is a very small ding on the filter ring. The ding is barely visible (see photo), but extra effort is needed to put on filters and the first couple of turns are tight. I find that brass ring filters (like B+W and Heliopan) go on without too much difficulty while aluminum ring ones take a bit of playing with before they go on right. If you don't constantly change filters, then it is no problem.

The pictures from this lens are bright and well saturated. The bokeh is very nice and smooth. It's an excellent focal length for a portrait lens. Edge to edge sharpness is very good. The size allows you to carry it easily anywhere. Especially useful in concerts and other venues where light isn't that great and you can't get that close.

Included are Original Front and Rear Caps. Original Pentax Fitted Case with Strap in excellent condition. Hoya 49mm UV filter.

Price Reduced $265 + shipping

International buyers are welcome, I ship internationally all the time. Shipping is via USPS Priority Mail. Insurance is included in shipping price.

Shipping is:

$12 in the US
$24 to Canada
$29 to Australia
Please inquire for other locations.

On a separate note, I also have a few filters available for sale. All of them are scratch free. Some of them are brand new and unused. If the filters come with a case, it is noted as such. Shipping is a flat $4 in the US, $6 to Canada or Australia no matter how many items you buy, so the more you buy, the more you save. They are listed in order of size. If you buy the lens listed above, shipping is free on the filters.

$2 - Telesor 48mm Coated UV filter - Excellent Condition. With original box.

$15 - Genuine Pentax 49mm Close-Up Lens #1 - Mint Condition with original case. (Perfect for converting a 50mm to macro use.)

$6 - NEW B+W 55mm neutral density filter x2. Comes in a square padded case. Brand New. Very useful for bokeh shots in bright light when you shutter speed just can't compensate. These are usually very expensive, so best to just get one of these and some step-down rings. Great Deal! You can't find these cheaper. (see picture)

$18 - Hama 77mm Linear Polarizer - Excellent Condition with case. (I removed the little handle to accomadate the hood and don't have it anymore, but it turns very easily and smoothly) (Hama is a German photography company which makes very nice equipment at reasonable prices. (Linear Polarizers work perfectly fine with Pentax Autofocus cameras. I have sold many of them and haven't had any complaints. Plus I have tested them with my own K100d, K10d and K20d never had any problems.) Usually difficult to find at a good price for such large sized polarizers.

$2 - Kalt 55mm-52mm step up ring - A little rough, but still usable.

Last edited by Youngster; 01-18-2009 at 09:57 PM.
01-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #2

Original Poster
Price Reduction

The price on this unusual find is reduced. You don't see this lens come up often.
01-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 53 (100%)
Interesting. If I didn't have this focal length duplicated by three stellar lenses, I'd be interested.
01-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
PM-ed with an offer...

01-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
Dan
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
Superb product shots

Your photos of the lens are very well done. The lens you used provides beautiful renderings--very sharp, great contrast, and no annoying aberrations. I see from the EXIF that it is the 50mm DFA Macro. I think I need to order one. So the good news is that your posting sold a lens. The bad news is that it isn't the lens you listed for sale.

Dan
01-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 61 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
Your photos of the lens are very well done. The lens you used provides beautiful renderings--very sharp, great contrast, and no annoying aberrations. I see from the EXIF that it is the 50mm DFA Macro. I think I need to order one. So the good news is that your posting sold a lens. The bad news is that it isn't the lens you listed for sale.

Dan
DFA 50 macro's a good lens, but the 100 2.8 (M version) is a special lens also,
with better bokeh. The A is going to be just as good optically as the M, and
will have the A setting. I'd get this lens over the DFA 50 macro, unless you really
need an actual 50mm macro lens. (In which case I'd probably get the A 50 2.8 macro )

(shooting through the flowers with M 100mm at f/2.8. Ah, summer...)

(That shot's a very good CA test, as I was shooting right into a light source basically.)
01-19-2009, 12:08 AM   #7

Original Poster
Every lens has its purpose. For product shots, I find 100mm macro lenses to be too long, the 50mm macro works better. If you want to chase after bugs, choose the 100mm, if you want to do still work, I recommend the 50mm.