Feedback Score: 63 (98%)
[SOLD] A flawed diamond: Pentax SMC-A 50/2.8 Macro..with oil on the blades :-(

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
A flawed diamond: Pentax SMC-A 50/2.8 Macro..with oil on the blades :-(

Asking Price
US $99

Item Description
Oh man, this is a sad one. I've never owned one of these lenses, but had heard only good things about them. Finally found one as part of a package deal. Got it, and while the lens is absolutely gorgeous cosmetically, and the glass is in excellent condition, there is some oil between two of the aperture blades and it is causing some functional issues.

First, the bad stuff. The lens won't effectively stop down past f11, and starts to drag around f8. This causes overexposure at those f/stops as the camera expects a smaller diameter aperture than the lens actually delivers. f/2.8 - 5.6 = perfection. F8-f11 = starting to see the effects of the drag between the two oiled blades. f16 and up, the lens doesn't really get there, but the camera thinks it does.

Now the good stuff. As I said before, this is a beautiful lens and takes wonderful, sharp photos, even wide open. It focuses smoothly and accurately. I prefer the long throw of macro lenses when focusing manually as it gives me much more precision than that of a normal lens.

I believe the last one that sold here sold for around $180 and my googling on oil removal seems to show a $75-$80 price (disassembly, cleaning and reassembly).

As it is right now, for portraits, general photography and some macro work, this lens is as good as it gets. For maximum DoF on macros (i.e. f/22), this lens won't cut it.

Some pics of the lens:

This shot shows the lens fully stopped down. This can only be acheived by hurling the lens violently to the ground. Wait, you can also do this by flicking the lens a bit to overcome the oil induced friction. The oil is visible between the 4 o'clock and 5 o'clock position.

Here's some pics from the lens:

Very sharp wide open at f/2.8

Even more so at f/5.6

Here's the wife and youngest son in the witness protection program :-) Something caught their attention as I was about to shoot, so I shot anyway.

Here's a macro shot from this lens. macro is 1:2. Focusing is very precise.

Thanks,

Kevin

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition
Used
Damaged

Item Location
Tampa, FL USA

Shipping Charge
US $6, int'l actual shipping costs

Shipping Services
USPS

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Additional Details
shipping is USPS Priority Mail.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

01-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 58 (100%)

(hey, that kid's hair looks like my little guy's!)

EDIT EDIT (apparently can't make comments on price even if they're positive )

This lens is simply stunning:

Last edited by jsherman999; 01-27-2009 at 08:37 AM.
01-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
Exactly what I was looking for! however, now's not the time for me to purchase yet Bills are killing me!

bump for a great deal...
01-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
Oh man, a legendary macro for $100, even oily... I think I gotta get it. Man, and just after picking up an FA*24/2--LBA here I come! But at least this one won't break the bank.

(Jshermann, yet again your photos here convince me to buy a marketplace offering! You're killing our wallets with your great photos!)

All that to say... PMing!

01-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #5

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
Looks like a great lens, but have you considered taking it apart your self ? Iv learned that with time and the right tools , itīs not that hard.
01-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 63 (98%)
Original Poster
Lens has been sold.