Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #16
JML
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by David Whiteley Quote
At first I thought: "It would take a very generous person to go through the trouble" but then I realized:

What a great way to get a bit of time to spend with a 31 Ltd!!!

JML, if you're OK with the middleperson taking a few shots while the 31 is in their hands, that might be a real incentive. I myself would love to do some comparison shooting between my 24/2, 16-50 and a 31 to decide if I want to take the plunge. Unfortunately, living in Canada, the shipping and taxes (sure no duty, but yeah almost certainly taxes) wouldn't make it viable (unless that "something for the effort" you're offering, JML, is pretty huge--but in that case you're up to "might as well buy new" rates). But sounds like a great opportunity for someone!

DW
Hi David,

You might have come up with a splendid deal here. Thanks for your positive interpretation, .
Are there really that many taxes if it is shipped to Canada? Can't it be sent as a "gift"? In that case you might be the one who can practice some time with this lens, .
Of course, if taxes to Canada aren't that high I can pay them, but if they are too high I prefer somebody within the US.
Any philantropes left there in the US, after the crises in the bank environment?
Come on guys or girls, you're more than welcome!

Thanks for thinking it over, .

JML

02-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
My recent 24/2 purchase was marked "gift" but also insured at actual sales cost, and Canada Border Agency assessed sales taxes as if a sale. Since in fact it was a sale not a gift (the "gift" designation was offered by seller, I never set out to sneak by taxes), I'm not inclined to look into whether I could contest the taxes on a "gift".

Taxes would be 12.5%. Shipping + Insurance from US to Canada for that lens would probably run oh say $25ish for Priority International (and I gather lesser mailing options from USPS aren't to be trusted). Seller-listed UPS might cost even more as it will likely involve brokerage fees crossing the border.

So to get it to my hands would I think cost $700 USD or more. Getting to handle the lens would be a bit of an incentive but I'd still appreciate a little something for my trouble. Add shipping to Europe on top of that, and it's sounding doubtful to be worth your while.

If I'm wrong, we can talk, but seems more plausible you'll find someone in the US who'd be interested, at a better rate.
02-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #18

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
I recently made a purchase from here for a non_paypal USA only transaction ... After several emails with the seller ... he agreed to take Payapl as I covered the the transaction costs and the cheque fee (Paypal to send a cheque to him) and send to me in Australia. It all went very smoothly ... Both parties have left positive feedback .... having said that ...

If you change your mind with regards to Paypal and selling to Australians then please PM me as Im very interetsed.