Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
In life we seldom have choices regarding rare opportunities. Anyone seriously considering this lens needs to know that the cream colored finish on the F* version is considerably more robust than the FA* silver--I know as I own the FA* version and formerly owned an F*600.

This is not a slam on the FA* lenses as I'm a fanboy of FA*, I just don't want anyone to pass on this lens in favor of the FA* as the F* is the same lens with less rounded shape and much stronger finish. If I had it to do over again, I'd prefer the F* for the more rugged finish...

Someone hurry and buy this lens so Marc Langille can sleep at night!

02-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 25 (100%)
Now that is a piece of Art free bump as if I bought it I would move in with you the missus would boot me out because of LBA

cheers
02-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 37 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
In life we seldom have choices regarding rare opportunities. Anyone seriously considering this lens needs to know that the cream colored finish on the F* version is considerably more robust than the FA* silver--I know as I own the FA* version and formerly owned an F*600.

This is not a slam on the FA* lenses as I'm a fanboy of FA*, I just don't want anyone to pass on this lens in favor of the FA* as the F* is the same lens with less rounded shape and much stronger finish. If I had it to do over again, I'd prefer the F* for the more rugged finish...

BTW, the F* version does not have power zoom:
F* 250-600/5.6 ED [IF]

Would that be a deal breaker for you Ron - no power zoom??

Cheers,
Marc
02-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
I really like power zoom, but it's not a deal breaker for me. As you mentioned in our phone conversation, no power zoom motor and circuitry means a pound lighter lens...

02-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
I thought F meant AF? What's a power zoom motor?

I need to apply for some bailout money... :-)
02-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I thought F meant AF? What's a power zoom motor?

I need to apply for some bailout money... :-)
F* and FA* are both AF lenses.

The primary difference (other than cosmetic - white vs. silver, and some subtle shape differences) is the lack of a power zoom motor on the F* lens. The F* is an AF lens, but you zoom the lens' focal length manually, like most lenses in existence.

You can adjust the focal length using an electric motor via a rubberized ring (zoom ring) on the lens barrel in the FA* version. It's the same for the several other lenses Pentax made with the power zoom function.

Regards,
Marc
02-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
You can adjust the focal length using an electric motor via a rubberized ring (zoom ring) on the lens barrel in the FA* version.
And the reason you'd need it is is because it's hard to turn without it? (like power steering?)
I don't get why you'd want/need a power assisted zoom...sounds like yet another thing to break

02-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And the reason you'd need it is is because it's hard to turn without it? (like power steering?)
I don't get why you'd want/need a power assisted zoom...sounds like yet another thing to break
Nope - you can do it via the motor or manually (using the zoom ring). Your choice - manual or auto zooming...

It can be useful at times: using a power zoom keep any lens movements minimized. Very useful in minimizing potential lens (motion) blur with longer focal lengths and keeping your attention on the subject and/or any action that might be going on. It would be a shame to miss it due to lens movement, etc.

Does that help?

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 02-10-2009 at 11:59 AM.
02-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #24
Veteran Member

It can be useful at times: using a power zoom keep any lens movements minimized.
Thanks. That does help, though I'd think you'd put more torque on the lens positioning by pushing a button on the lens.
02-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. That does help, though I'd think you'd put more torque on the lens positioning by pushing a button on the lens.
Glad to help. BTW, it's a ring on the barrel (no button).

For reference: on the FA* 250-600/5.6, the power zoom ring is the wide black ring (with the elliptical indents) closest to the lens mount:
Pentax Lens Review Database - 250-600mm F5.6 ED [IF]
02-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #26

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
Original Poster
Anybody down for $6100 shipped? I'm taking a beating on this thing but want to get a newer canon or sony HD 3CCD camera.
02-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by David Whiteley Quote
Nah, I think I'll hold out for the FA version, to match my other FA*
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote

Not sure if Ron was taking my facetious point point seriously, but from where I sit I simply find it immensely amusing to contemplate that someone would have this one-in-a-lifetime opportunity in front of them, and pass for purely cosmetic reasons.

Then again, no power zoom, I dunno....
02-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asa3dpro Quote
Anybody down for $6100 shipped?
You should probably put it up on fleabay.

If you sell it for $3K, I'd be up for it though
02-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
Imagine this with a 1.4x TC. If I'm not incorrect that would get you up to 840mm at f/8. Geez.

I hope you find a buyer for this, though the market must be pretty small. Patience and all the best!
02-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #30

Feedback Score: 23 (96%)
F* and FA* are both AF lenses.

The primary difference (other than cosmetic - white vs. silver, and some subtle shape differences) is the lack of a power zoom motor on the F* lens. The F* is an AF lens, but you zoom the lens' focal length manually, like most lenses in existence.

You can adjust the focal length using an electric motor via a rubberized ring (zoom ring) on the lens barrel in the FA* version. It's the same for the several other lenses Pentax made with the power zoom function.

Regards,
Marc
The FA* is just so much more elegant though! It doesn't have that Canonesque finish.

JayT