Feedback Score: 101 (100%)
[SOLD] Minolta Rokkor 85mm f/1.7 Fast Portrait Lens converted to M42 Mount

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Minolta Rokkor 85mm f/1.7 Fast Portrait Lens converted to M42 Mount

Asking Price
$375 USD

Item Description
Hello! This is a tough one, I never really saw myself selling this lens -- a bit like my other Rokkor 50/1.2 still for sale. But I need the money and someone else needs this lens!

This is the sharpest lens I've ever used at this focal length. Even sharper than the Jupiter/Helios 44-2 85/1.5 that I also own. It's a conversion from the original MD mount that allows for perfect infinity focusing on ANY camera -- M42, adapted Pentax, adapted Canon EOS -- ANY camera. If you shoot multiple systems like I do, you'll understand how amazing that is. You just have to invest in *one* sharp, contrasty, colorful lens to take care of all your cameras.

The quality of this lens is easily comparable to that of the Pentax SMC 85/1.9 and 85/1.8s, and slightly faster. It is a compact lens and not much larger than either of the aformentioned SMC lenses, and nothing like the huge monstrosity of the Jupiter 85/1.5. If you are comparing lenses, this Rokkor lens is much sharper than the Jupiter 85/2.

The lens itself is in excellent condition with only minor handling wear around the scalloped and grooved focus ring and the rest of the all-metal body. There are only very small superficial scratches or dust on the rest of the glass. The aperture ring stops down the diaphragm correctly at all apertures. However, there are two small things to note: 1) there is a very small nick on the inside of the front element that you can see in the last picture. The only way you can ever see it in pictures is if you're taking bokeh-shots of unfocused lights . Otherwise you'll never notice it. 2) the lens lost its filter ring and had another one fabricated for it by the person who did the conversion. It's basically a short plastic tube with a 55mm filter ring at the end. So, this lens takes 55mm filters. Oh, and the front element unscrews, that's how I can show you the small nick, but that's true for all of these lenses.

Check out the eyecandy!

The lens will come with itself, a 55mm filter, a rear screw-mount cap, and a leather case to hold and carry it in.

Thanks!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition
Used
Good

Item Location
Connecticut, USA

Shipping Charge
Free in USA

Shipping Services
USPS

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order

Additional Details
All prices are in United States dollars. All prices are with domestic Priority insured shipping included. Domestic shipping is included in the price, and International Priority shipping starts at just $10, depending on size/weight of what you buy and destination country. Payments of PayPal and Postal Money Order are both gladly accepted. If paying with PayPal, please add 4% to cover fees.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by wallyb; 02-17-2009 at 04:48 AM.
02-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bump! All interesting offers/trades considered.
02-17-2009, 04:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Price drop.
02-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #4

Feedback Score: 23 (96%)
Bump for an awesome manual focus lens with great bokeh!
I use this on my 10Mp Canon setup so it should work even better on the K20D.

JayT

02-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sirfishalot Quote
Bump for an awesome manual focus lens with great bokeh!
I use this on my 10Mp Canon setup so it should work even better on the K20D.

JayT
Woah great shot! Thanks a lot for the kind words about this great lens. It really has excellent bokeh -- the kind that I like to describe as 'glassy', almost like the background is made out of porcelain or blown glass.
02-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This will be put on eBay soon if there's no more interest for it.
02-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One last bump before going on eBay or somewhere else.