[SOLD] SMC Pentax-FA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF]

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SMC Pentax-FA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF]

Asking Price
$1150 USD

Item Description
History

I purchased this lens from Japan via eBay (Matsuiya Store) at Christmas 2007. I have thoroughly enjoyed using it for any number of subjects from soccer to hockey to birding to candid family moments from a distance.

Condition

The lens is in excellent cosmetic and working condition. It came to me as such, and I have done nothing to change this. After opening the packaging and the box, I immediately put on a protective UV filter. It has never come off.

The lens hood, however, does have one nick (ding) in it after falling from a picnic table to a concrete sidewalk. Consequently there is a blemish and slight out-of-roundness which means the hood is tighter than normal when affixing or removing it from the lens itself. In no way does this affect the performance of this lens.

For Sale

If I'm selling this lens to you, I'm looking for $1150 USD and this price is firm. This, I feel, is not unreasonable given the fact I am absorbing the shipping costs as well as the PayPal fees. Oh and did I mention that I have only seen one other FA*200mm on the open market currently?

For Trade

I would be happy to trade this lens to you under any of the following conditions...

DA* 50-135 + 500 USD
DA* 16-50 + 550 USD
FA77mm LTD (black) + 600 USD

a combo of both DA*s - straight up
FA* 85 - straight up

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling or Trading

Item Condition
Used
Excellent

Item Location
Ontario, Canada

Shipping Charge
included in price

Shipping Services
Canada Post Express Post

Shipping Destinations
North America

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Additional Details
Pentax Lens Review Database - 200mm F2.8 ED [IF]

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by SouthShoreRob; 03-17-2009 at 05:16 AM.
02-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
SouthShoreRob

Feedback Score: (%)
samples

Three sample photos taken with this lens (and K10D)

All three resized, but not otherwise processed...many more examples can be seen in my galleries by following my signature link below.

02-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #3

Feedback Score: 19 (100%)
Was about to buy but saw another one for sale on Ebay (Matsuiya Store!)
02-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 38 (100%)
Why did you choose the FA* over the DA* 200mm? Is there much of a difference? I thought they were the same optical formula and the only change being no aperture and getting SDM plus weather-sealing on the DA*. Am I worng on this or is it just a collectors thing? The FA* does look very cool, but then again I do like the look of silver lenses.

02-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by AlbertSiegel Quote
Why did you choose the FA* over the DA* 200mm? Is there much of a difference? I thought they were the same optical formula and the only change being no aperture and getting SDM plus weather-sealing on the DA*. Am I worng on this or is it just a collectors thing? The FA* does look very cool, but then again I do like the look of silver lenses.
Hi Albert, thanks for the question. I purchased this beautiful lens just prior to the release of the DA*. Yes, you have basically summed up the differences correctly. The newer model features SDM and weather sealing. Mine (the FA) offers the possibilty of digital or film usage; the silver colouring with PENTAX boldly emblazened in black.

Oh, and an impeachable reputation too!
02-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 38 (100%)
The more I look at it the more I like it... I really like the silver color and I don't know why, but I love the big PENTAX on the hood. Maybe it would be fun to use that when i'm near all the Canon people.
02-22-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
Oh, and an impeachable reputation too!
I think you mean "impeccable"!

Now the new SDM motors, on the other hand, with unremarkable speed and, I hear some rumours of prematurely failing motors (they're so new none should be failing yet, right?) might be impeachable. In that context, an old screwdrive AF could be seen as an advantage.

Good luck with the sale!
02-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
Todd K.

Wow, a 200mm lens with will still be working in two years. Well worth the additional expense over the DA* 200.

02-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by David Whiteley Quote
I think you mean "impeccable"!

Now the new SDM motors, on the other hand, with unremarkable speed and, I hear some rumours of prematurely failing motors (they're so new none should be failing yet, right?) might be impeachable. In that context, an old screwdrive AF could be seen as an advantage.

Good luck with the sale!
@ David

Hehe, thanks for the literary correction. Even as I typed it I felt it was the wrong spelling yet for some stupid reason I didn't bother to cross-reference it. My bad.

@ Albert

The look of this lens does really set it apart. Fantastic in every way - except that I don't have $ for a second body to shoot wide angle, so it has to go and a 50-135 will take its place.

@ Todd

I think you missed a noun somewhere in that sentence, but I caught your drift nonetheless; thanks.
02-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
SouthShoreRob

ONE WEEK BUMP

Price lowered $100 to $1150 USD.

Still open to trading as well if you have what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Rob
02-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
request

photo of nick (ding) on hood and photo of end view that shows the out of round end of hood

Thank you
02-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #12
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by nate Quote
photo of nick (ding) on hood and photo of end view that shows the out of round end of hood

Thank you
I apologize if my product photography isn't up to snuff, but here goes...

1) photo of ding, with hood reverse-attached to lens

2) photo of ding from slightly elevated position

3) photo of ding (out of roundness) straight on

4) photo of ding with hood properly attached in shooting position

02-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 58 (100%)
That is one very well documented ding! I'm no technical expert but I'm guessing it has no discernible effect on photos taken with that lens ;~) Too bad I'm out of the game at the moment.
02-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #14
SouthShoreRob

Lens is now sold. Thanks.

Rob