Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 38 (100%)
I am not familiar with Tamron adaptalls and was wondering if this Tamron 90mm F2.5 Adaptall-2 is usable directly on my K20D in AF mode or do you need the Adaptall-2 P/KA Pentax Mount?

I've been looking for an affordable portrait supplement in the 85mm to 105mm focal length range, and was curious to see if this lens fit the bill.

Thanks.

Last edited by EsBee; 04-10-2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Correction
04-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #17
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
Original Poster
esbee... you will need to the adaptall-2 mount to use the lens.... since this is a macro lens it might be a bit sharp for portraits...

thanks ... let me know if ur interested..
04-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
manumon-

I recently picked up the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 myself for what I imagine are much the same reasons that you are looking for one. I have to say, that I'm totally loving the lens! Yes, it is a very sharp lens as EsBee said- which for me is great because I love to shoot many different types of subjects, not just portraits. I do find it pleasing wide open in available indoor light for portrait shots, but they are definately not "dreamy smooth" like some other lenses when wide open. However, that's what post production is for! I'd rather take away detail and sharpness than not have it there at all.

I've put up some sample shots in the Tammy club thread- here's a link. I have a few more shots on the last page of the Tammy club thread, after the thread page I linked to . You'll find other shots of this lens there also.

I did get the lens with the P/KA adapter, and I feel very lucky to have done so. I have 3 other manual Pentax primes, so no big deal, but it's just one less step (green button metering), and easier when out street shooting.
04-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I am still not too clear on the Tamron adaptall lenses and the adaptall mounts. If the adaptall mount is needed to use the lens, why isn't it permanently glued to it in the first place? When and where would you use the darn lens without the mount?

Or is it something like, adapall-2 mounts are similar to M42 to K-mount adapters as the Tamrons adaptall lenses are to Pentax screwmount lenses?

And of course, now to the main part of my original question, even when this lens is used with the adaptall-2 P/KA mount, do you have AF capability on a K20D?

BTW, sharp isn't necessarily a bad thing for me when it comes to portraits.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

04-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
EsBee- sorry, my last post was for you, not the seller!

Basically, adaptall 2 lenses were sold without a mount, so that if you had multiple camera bodies from different manufacturers, (e.g., canon, nikon, pentax) you could use the same lens on different bodies with different mounts- you just needed the mount for your different bodies. That way you could use the same lens on many different bodies.

As per your question RE auto-focus: no, this isn't an auto focus lens. But I do find it very easy to focus manually due to it's focal length- subjects tend to "pop"- and the bright/fast f/2.5 aperture for focusing.

Hope that helps!
04-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 39 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
I am still not too clear on the Tamron adaptall lenses and the adaptall mounts. If the adaptall mount is needed to use the lens, why isn't it permanently glued to it in the first place? When and where would you use the darn lens without the mount?
Tamron did it so they didn't have to make a different lens for each camera. The shopkeeper could stock a single high cost item -- the lens (e.g. the SP 90mm/2.5 macro) -- and half a dozen low cost adapters. This way they could meet the needs of customers with Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Konica, etc, cameras.

Gluing the adapter onto the lens would totally defeat the objective -- which was to have a lens that can be adapted to any camera on the market at that time.

QuoteQuote:
And of course, now to the main part of my original question, even when this lens is used with the adaptall-2 P/KA mount, do you have AF capability on a K20D?
No -- autofocus came later.

You have autoexposure with the P/KA adaptall adapter. I have the P/K adapter, which requires the use of the green button (with the K10D) to get stop-down metering.

seems I type (and probably think) slower than you, virgil!
04-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
EsBee- sorry, my last post was for you, not the seller!

Basically, adaptall 2 lenses were sold without a mount, so that if you had multiple camera bodies from different manufacturers, (e.g., canon, nikon, pentax) you could use the same lens on different bodies with different mounts- you just needed the mount for your different bodies. That way you could use the same lens on many different bodies.

As per your question RE auto-focus: no, this isn't an auto focus lens. But I do find it very easy to focus manually due to it's focal length- subjects tend to "pop"- and the bright/fast f/2.5 aperture for focusing.

Hope that helps!
Thanks, I think I now understand that I have to manually focus, which I am not really very good at, a lens that wasn't made for my Pentax so I have to get an adapter to mount it.

Its a damn shame that the focal length and max aperture are so good, though.
04-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by duncsuss Quote
Tamron did it so they didn't have to make a different lens for each camera. The shopkeeper could stock a single high cost item -- the lens (e.g. the SP 90mm/2.5 macro) -- and half a dozen low cost adapters. This way they could meet the needs of customers with Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Konica, etc, cameras.

Gluing the adapter onto the lens would totally defeat the objective -- which was to have a lens that can be adapted to any camera on the market at that time.

No -- autofocus came later.

You have autoexposure with the P/KA adaptall adapter. I have the P/K adapter, which requires the use of the green button (with the K10D) to get stop-down metering.

seems I type (and probably think) slower than you, virgil!
Friends, thanks for the education and putting up with this newbie.

After I was done playing with my kit lenses when I got my camera not too long ago, I got inspired by all the talk on here about stop-down metering and using the green button, etc. So I promptly got myself a couple of M 50mm lenses (f1.4 and f1.7). They are now so tightly tucked away since I got an FA 50mm f1.4, they don't even get to collect dust.

I may one day look toward the Tamron 90mm f2.8 AF with dedicated K-mount, though.