Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
[SOLD] Quantary (Re-Badged Tamron)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Quantary (Re-Badged Tamron)

Asking Price
$100 CAD

Item Description
Looking to sell my Quantaray LD 70-300mm F4-5.6 1:2 Macro zoom lens with UV filter and hood. It's in mint condition, rarely used.
I'd prefer to deal locally (Toronto area) but will ship.
More pictures are available upon request.

Thanks

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition
Used
Mint

Item Location
Toronto

Shipping Charge
to be calculated

Shipping Services
Buyers choice

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Additional Details
Includes lens hood and UV filter

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

Last edited by Mikhail; 05-07-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Price reduction
05-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #2

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
Original Poster
Realized the price was steep and has been reduced to $100 plus shipping (50% of what I paid and it's like new).

Thanks
05-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 101 (100%)
Quantaray is actually a re-branding of Sigma lenses for Ritz's Camera, though the Sigma and Tamron 70-300mm lenses of this era are almost identical in every way. It's really quite a nice way to get the extra reach in a "budget" setup.
05-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 25 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Quantaray is actually a re-branding of Sigma lenses for Ritz's Camera, though the Sigma and Tamron 70-300mm lenses of this era are almost identical in every way. It's really quite a nice way to get the extra reach in a "budget" setup.
In most cases, yes, but with the 70-300, it could very well be a Tammy. The version with the 58mm filter size will come up as a Sigma in the EXIF data, but the 62mm version is a Tamron.

Either way, you can't do too much better than this for a $100 70-300mm. Good luck with the sale, Mikhail!

05-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Right. I think Ritz slaps the Quantaray name on whatever they happen to be able to get their hands on that day, so any given Quantaray lens might be a Sigma or a Tamron or something else. There was Quantaray 70-300 that was very clearly a Tamron, and a Quantaray 70-300 that was very clearly a Sigma. To know which is which, look carefully at the picture of the lens in question, note the filter size, and compare to the Sigma and Tamron offerings (whcih have of course also evolved over time).

I have the same lens as the one pictured here, and it's obviously identical in every way to the Tamron (not Di version) - filter size, location and appearance of the controls, design of the zoom and focus rings, even the fonts used in the labels, etc. Whereas it has virtually nothing in common with the Sigma except the focal length and aperture range. No way this particular lens is anything but a Tamron.
05-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 101 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Right. I think Ritz slaps the Quantaray name on whatever they happen to be able to get their hands on that day, so any given Quantaray lens might be a Sigma or a Tamron or something else. There was Quantaray 70-300 that was very clearly a Tamron, and a Quantaray 70-300 that was very clearly a Sigma. To know which is which, look carefully at the picture of the lens in question, note the filter size, and compare to the Sigma and Tamron offerings (whcih have of course also evolved over time).

I have the same lens as the one pictured here, and it's obviously identical in every way to the Tamron (not Di version) - filter size, location and appearance of the controls, design of the zoom and focus rings, even the fonts used in the labels, etc. Whereas it has virtually nothing in common with the Sigma except the focal length and aperture range. No way this particular lens is anything but a Tamron.

To me, and I think most others, the difference between these lenses wouldn't be "obviously clear" without any branding and without stock grips. So, I think you may be exaggerating a little to try to prove a (long!) point Especially since you actually own the lens and have it in hand to compare. Suffice it to say, a very vast majority of Ritz's rebrandings have Sigma sources.

Cheers.
05-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Neither of those is the specific lens I am talking about - I think that the top lens is a newer version of the Tamron (han the one the Quantaray matches. Like I said, both Tamron and Sigma have tweaked their designs over the years. Find a picture of the right lens, and the match becomes more obvious. But really, the filter size alone pretty much seals the deal. You may well be correct be that more Quantaray lenses are Sigma than Tamron, though.

EDIT: I'm actually mistaken abut having the same exact one as pictured. This appears to be yet another version, at least cosmetically, although still based on the Tamron deisgn. The macro switch on the lens pictured looks like mine - and like the Tamrons. But mine and the Tamron one it matches have the logo and name info right next to the macro switch, not below it as on the pictured Quantaray. However, the naming itself - in particular, the "LD" and "Tele-macro" designations - are also identical between this one, mine, and the Tamrons.

Other details to look at: the focal lengths on the Tamron lenses are marked 70, 100, 135, 180, and 300, with the 180-300 range clearly marked as the macro range on both the focal length scale and the macro switch. The Sigma replaces "180" with "200", and as far as one can tell looking at the lens, the macro feature is *only* available at 300mm.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 05-08-2009 at 04:35 PM.