Feedback Score: 37 (100%)
[SOLD] KatzEye for K10D / K20D only $60

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
KatzEye for K10D / K20D only $60

Asking Price
$60 US

Item Description
KatzEye focusing screen with a 2mm long scratch on the upper left side of the screen. Does not interfere with the view finder functunality. Not distracking either. Sold as is.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition
Used
Good

Item Location
Ontario, Canada

Shipping Charge
$5 US

Shipping Services
Canada Post

Shipping Destinations
North America

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order

Additional Details
KatsEye focusing screen - Used - Has a scratch about 2 mm long on the upper left side of the screen. Please see the pictures. Also has a couple of stubburn dust specks that need to be brushed off (I don't have any brushes) - Sold as is - My K20D front focuses when focused manually. It does not have a shim to remove to shift the focus to the back. I tried to install it several times hoping to get a firmer push on the latch to get the focus right. In the process I scratched it.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

05-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup

I also have an O-ME-53 Magnifying Eyecup which is in "As New" condition for sale for $35. The buyer of the KatzEye screen would have the first option to buy the eyecup with it. If he/she doesn't want it, then I can sell it separately.

Cheers
05-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Things to consider before buying a KatzEye focusing screen

Here's my two cents worth about things to consider before buying a KatzEye focusing screen:

1. The focusing screen does not affect auto focus at all. It only affets manul focus.

2. The KatsEye screen is slightly thicker than the sandard screen. It causes the focus to shift slightly forward.

3. If the camera with standard screen has slight back focus, then chances are KatzEye will improve it, or make it perfect.

4. If the camara with standard screen has perfect manual focus, the KatzEye will cause front focus. So the shim located on top of the screen (between the screen and its seat in the camera body) has to be replaced with a thinner shim. The problem is that some of the bodies do not have a shim. So there is nothing to replace with a thinner shim.

5. I recommend you check your camera. If you feel your manual focus is slightly off to the back, I think it should be okay without having to worry about shim. The KatzEye will shift the focus to the front and improve the manual focus.

6. If your manual focus is already perfect, then open the focusing screen to check and see if there is a "removeable" shim. The shim is located on top of the screen between the screen and the prizm. If there is a shim, then adjustments can be made.

7. If the MF is way too far to the back, the Katz Eye with increased thickness may ne be able to bring the focus to the front far enough to make it perfect. In that case a shim has to be put in there to bring the focus forward even farther.

8. I have played with KatzEye and three Pentax bodies. On the K10D KatzEye worked perfectly. I guess it must have had backfocus before changing. On a K20D KatzEye caused front focus and there was no shim to remove. So it did not work. I put the original screen back in and got perfect MF. On a K100D I removed the copper shim and I made a shim from glossy photo paper. The paper was slightly thinner than the copper shim and the focus moved back to being perfect.

9. If your manual focus is already perfect and your camera does not have a removeable shim, I do not recommend getting the KatzEye.

I hope this information helps your decision about getting a KatzEye screen.

Cheers

Last edited by Stratario; 05-18-2009 at 10:29 AM.
05-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #4

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
The shims to correct back focus / front focus are available from Pentax parts for 0.54 each - there are five thicknesses. Rest of what he indicates is on the money, its just a little bit of open heart surgery to get it in and right on the money - good item if you use manual focus long or macro lenses.

05-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #5

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
Free bump, almost...

Never heard about the adjusting manual focus about the shim's. My k10D is back focusing in manual focus, particularly when using Voigtlander 125. I have to check this out.

By the way, if you are willing to ship to Europe, I will buy you screen (so not a free bump)
05-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #6

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
Read threads already existing about this issue or PM me and I can explain this to you in detail - better as it is a bit off topic to what this guy is trying to do. Either or he got a few free bumps.
05-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This item has been sold pending payment.