Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 7 (100%)
[SOLD] [EU/WW] MF Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC.

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
[EU] Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC.

Asking Price
200$ + Shipping

Item Description
For sale is:
-Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, with box, both caps, hood, pouch and all purchase papers (warranty included, but ended already).
-Matching 62mm Cokin UV filter.

I'm selling it or willing to trade (preferable) against FA35/2 or F/FA50/1.4 with additional payment from me (50$ for 50mm, 100$ for 35mm, EU preferable).
I can offer both Sigma and DA70/2.4(fully functional, lens and caps only, some body wear, optics good) for DA 35/2.8 Ltd.

About the lens:

In general i think it has defective AF. Some users in here tried to convince me that it is normal behaviour and this is just operator error. Anyway i sell it as defective - think of it as 30mm f/1.4 manual focus lens offer .

Why? I cannot get the AF to lock at infinity. Point at moon, sea horizon, distant trees - it goes no further than 4 meter mark. May go unnoticed from f2.8 and up, but it is obvious at F1.4. This cannot be some operator error, but clear malfunction and when i manually put it to infinity it's tack sharp.

It has high inconsistency at closer subject distances in low light (like 50:50 or less hit rate). Sometimes it is spot on, other times it is 1 meter front focus - was it too dark, the subject wasn't contrasty or that is it the lens, i don't know but its not acceptable for my use . And is obvious at F1.4.

And its is not economical for me to repair it, because local sigma representative would send it to Japan.

I've observed different problems (BF on k100ds, Inconsistency on another k100ds, FF on k200d) on various bodies. One k10d user reported that the lens worked fine for him, but i doubt he tested well.

Other than that, the lens produces stunning images. It is not only the low light capability of F1.4 but the shallow DOF as well. It allows you to capture useful field of view and still isolate the subject even at some distance.
Sometimes the shots have such depth that it feels like they've been produced on some larger medium like 35mm film.
Still you can instantly see that it's designed for digital camera, because of the rich, contrasty and correct colours it renders, without any haze.
Even at F1.4 it is sharp at centre and gets even better when stopping down, achieving excellent image quality at F4..5.6.

The optics are in perfect condition without dirt or scratches (used with UV filter most of the time) and same goes for body. Only some dust here and there that can be easily blown away.

Exposure is spot on and somehow is much better than with KIT lens.

Manufacturer homepage:

Sigma - Lenses

Lens Review:

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 30mm F1.4 EX DC
(The last review by me expresses most of my thoughts about the lens).

(Click on image for flicker set of the lens and some samples).

Feel free to ask any questions or request additional pictures.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling or Trading

Item Condition
Used
Damaged

Item Location
EU, Latvia, Riga

Shipping Charge
Approx. 28$ US, 24EUR UK/GER (or EU), 35$ Austrl.(And probabliy the same for the rest of the world). Incl. Insurance.

Shipping Services
Plain post.

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Additional Details
It is possible to ship cheaper without insurance BUT buyer takes ALL responsibility if anything happens during shipping. If it get's lost or damaged i hold no responsibility.
If you're willing to take the risk ( usually i do ):

~5.50 EUR to the EU.
~9.35 $ to US and the rest of the world.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by ytterbium; 08-18-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Updated shipping info
08-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
PM sent with FA35 offer
08-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 7 (100%)
Original Poster
Sorry, just checked that even with exchange i still had to pay VAT. Exchange only in EU.