Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 95 (100%)
[SOLD] Rare Pentax-F SMC 24-50mm f/4 zoom lens - excellent condition!

SMC Pentax-F 24-50mm f/4 zoom lens - $149
Shipping in Continental U.S. - $6.95

Hello all-

I have been going back and forth on selling this lens for weeks. I have way too many lenses, and this focal range well-covered by other zooms and primes. As a result, I do not use this one much - can only use one camera at a time! But, when I do use it I get great results. It has decent sharpness, great color rendition and contrast over a perfect range, for me. The constant aperture is nice, the solid build quality is impressive, and manual focus is smooth and well-damped. It focuses reasonably closely (40cm) and as such makes a very handy all-purpose lens when you are only taking one - hiking and camping trips, for instance. It goes from wide angle to mild telephoto range with minimal distortion throughout. It is definitely a big step up from the kit DA zoom. And it provides a very wide angle experience on film, complete with an aperture ring, and will work well on any forthcoming full frame DSLR! The only flaw I have noticed is a slight tendency toward flare shooting into bright light, not all the time and easily dealt with in PP.

I got it from KEH in "bargain" condition, but couldn't tell you why it was marked down - looked basically new. Maybe because it was missing the caps? But I have those now, and will include them along with a protective filter. There was a little gunk around the serial number window, but that wiped off easily. The glass is clear without haze scratches or fungus, and all operations work efficiently and smoothly.

A review here: Pentax Lens Review Database - 24-50mm F4
and 2 reviews of the opticaly identical A version here: Pentax Lens Review Database - 24-50mm F4

So, the wife says some camera stuff has to go, and I guess this lens could be yours. Happy to refund your money if the lens is in anyway other than as described; also happy to ship internationally, although of course shipping will be more. The only other one of these I could find for sale was listed at $285 (Pentax 24-50/4 SMCP-F Zoom Lens AF (IMP)), so maybe this is a bargain? Let me know if you interested!

Thanks for looking, Nick

Sample Shots:

08-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Let me say again, this is a great lens. It is definitely a nice upgrade from the kit lens, and while it may not be quite as handy as the DA16-45 on digital, it is smaller and cheaper. Plus it has an aperture ring and can be used on a film body as a wide zoom. Another sample:

08-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 101 (100%)
24-50mm certainly is an ideal range for "street shooting" on film. Very nice pictures too!
08-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Wally! Lens is on hold now for someone.

09-05-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
And... SOLD!