Feedback Score: 101 (100%)
[SOLD] Phoenix 100-500mm f/5.6-8.0 KA auto-aperture super-zoom lens

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Phoenix 100-500mm f/5.6-8.0 KA auto-aperture super-zoom lens

Asking Price
$250 USD

Item Description
Up for sale is a MONSTER of a zoom lens, a 100-500mm f/5.6-8.0 KA lens by Phoenix. I know what you might think, Phoenix is a brand name and not a manufacturer, and there are some duds in what they've put their name on over the years. Well, let me tell ya brother, this lens ain't no dud! To the best of my knowledge it's simply a copy of a Vivitar Series 1 model from back when the Series 1 line was some of the best 3rd-party lenses you could own on any system (think of the Kiron macros and Komine zooms, and even the awesome "Plastic Fantastic" 100mm f/3.5 macro lens sold under Phoenix/Vivitar/Cosina/etc.)

This lens is incredibly sharp for the price and focal range. There is almost no quality loss from 100mm to 500mm and boy does it start sharp. If you don't mind manual focusing (a very easy one-touch zoom model, by the way), I see no reason not to use this instead of a "Bigma" lens and save yourself a couple grand. The "slower" aperture of f/5.6-8.0 really just means, in practice, sharp results wide-open, and not having to worry about stopping down. It also translates to a smaller and lighter body, and a very accessible 67mm filter diametre.

B&H sells this lens for $349.00 and currently only has the Contax/Yashica model in stock. I'm not familiar with that system, but I am quite sure it would be a fully-manual lens. This lens is KA-mount so you don't have to fiddle around with apertures or stopping down in the viewfinder; everything is handled for you automatically and done very well. It also has a built-in tripod collar so you can very easily set it up for very clear wildlife shots.

Here are pictures of the actual lens for sale. It comes with the original case (not pictured), instructional inserts (not pictured), lens, and front and rear caps, and a UV filter. The condition is just-about-new, with only subtle marks on the mount to show it was ever used. The glass is mint/near-mint with just a little external dust along the bevel.

And here are pictures taken with the lens. Please, let me preface them: I suck I mean, I have some skill I suppose, but there are absolutely 0 things around here that are interesting at 500mm. Very wildlife-devoid, sadly. Compounding that, these pictures were taken without a tripod, at a high ISO, handheld, on an overcast day. It's turning to fall here in the northeast, and the sun never wants to come out anymore. So, please forgive the boring subjects and odd angles, and possibly high amount of noise. DO notice the sharpness of the lens. I'll try to shoot some more pleasing pictures if the sun ever comes back out.

~400mm?

500mm:

500mm:

Also notice the very pleasing bokeh in that last shot, at least to my eyes. The only time I've gotten sharpness like this at the 500mm focal length was with the Tamron adaptall 500mm mirror lens, and as sharp as that was, it still had brutal bokeh because it wasn't a reflex lens.

Send me a PM if you're interested and post any questions here!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition
Used
Excellent

Item Location
United States

Shipping Charge
$10 USA, $25 Canada, $35 Worldwide

Shipping Services
USPS only

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order Other (Elaborate)

Additional Details
I accept all forms of payment for this item.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

09-08-2009, 03:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 39 (100%)
I had never heard of this make or model but then again, I have not really heard much. Do they make this now and if so, is it available in AF?

Can you please post a photo of this thing next to something else recognizable for reference in size? You know, like a DA 40mm?
09-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
I had never heard of this make or model but then again, I have not really heard much. Do they make this now and if so, is it available in AF?

Can you please post a photo of this thing next to something else recognizable for reference in size? You know, like a DA 40mm?
I am almost positive there is no AF version of this lens. I will post a reference image next to a more recognizable item in a little bit for you!
09-09-2009, 04:50 AM   #4
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
I just have the vivitar 1 version of the lens, it works well. I did try on a Sears 3x TC, under the noon sun, It gave out decent pictures.

09-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #5

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
pm sent few minutes ago
09-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
I had never heard of this make or model but then again
Phoenix lenses are listed prominently in B&H ads, among other places - a 500/8 mirror and a 100mm macro in particular, both pf which are made by other companies.

QuoteQuote:
I think that's going to be a pretty funny picture...
09-10-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 39 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I think that's going to be a pretty funny picture...
That was exactly the point, as the pancake is the smallest of my lenses and one of my most favorite.

09-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is the lens next to the best reference I have available, the FA 50mm f/1.4:

As you can see, it's really not that much larger than most IF 70-210mm zooms, like the Pentax-A 70-210mm f/4. At 100mm, at least; it does extend quite a bit
09-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
SOLD pending receipt of payment from one of the best buyers on this forum!