Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 101 (100%)
[SOLD] Quantaray 500mm f/8 Mirror Lens, 77mm Filter Size, WW Ship!

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Quantaray 500mm f/8 Mirror Lens, 77mm Filter Size, WW Ship!

Asking Price
USD $150

Item Description
This is a very unique mirror lens design, it is the only one I've seen by a "generic" brand (Quantaray) that is so well-made. It must be a copy of a more professional lens that I'm not aware of. It has an all-metal body with a very smooth focus, and most surprisingly, it has a 77mm filter size. Because of this, the obstructive element in the middle of the lens that reflects the image to the sensor is relatively much smaller than other mirror lenses. This means that the light transmission is extremely close to, if not in excess, of the measured f/8 rating. What does this mean in layman terms? Very low vignetting, more resolution, better contrast, and better performance in challenging light conditions. In my test shooting with this lens, all these things proved accurate.

The condition of the lens is very good, almost excellent, if it weren't for a small amount of glue-like residue on the body of the lens from the case it was stored in. This residue doesn't affect function in any way and, actually, you can barely feel it there with your hands. But it has collected some dust because of this, and will need to be cleaned a bit better than I was able to do. The glass of the lens is just about perfect. No visible scratches or marks, and just some dust here and there.

Here are pictures of the lens:

And here is a sample image taken with the lens. Please look at it full-sized:

I am sure that you can see what I mean about the quality. It has been touched up a little in post, but I'm not a magician with editing, and I can't enhance what isn't already there. The end result is MUCH better than most other mirror lens; actually, better than every mirror lens I've ever used other than the Tamron Adaptall one which is around ~$230. A 77mm filter will be included with the lens, so that the front element stays nice and clean.

PM if interested, thanks!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition
Used
Good

Item Location
United States

Shipping Charge
Free USA, $15 Canada, $25 Worldwide

Shipping Services
USPS only

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order Other (Elaborate)

Return Policy/Additional Details
None.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

09-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Up to the front!
09-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
BTW, this does *not* appear the lens being sold under the Quantaray name more recently, which was - unless I'm mistaken - just yet another rebranding of the Samyang-made lens also sold as Phoenix, Opteka, and Vivitar.
09-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
BTW, this does *not* appear the lens being sold under the Quantaray name more recently, which was - unless I'm mistaken - just yet another rebranding of the Samyang-made lens also sold as Phoenix, Opteka, and Vivitar.
Yes Marc, that is absolutely correct. It is a different lens entirely, with different and (I assume) higher-quality optics.

Here are some more pictures I took with this lens. Please (try to) ignore the grain and low dynamic range/muted colors, they were all taken at ISO 1600 (on a K100D, mind you) because I was hand-holding the lens and it wasn't terribly bright out today:

09-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bump for more eyes.
09-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #6

Feedback Score: 14 (100%)
PM sent...
09-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster