Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
[SOLD] Original *istD DSLR 6MP semipro body

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Original *istD DSLR 6MP semipro body

Asking Price
$210

Item Description

Original PENTAX *istD camera body with box, manual and cables.

In 2004 this was the first, and for a while, the best PENTAX DSLR camera with the price tag $1800
It is roughly the size of KM/K2000, a tiny bit bigger

Small form factor
2 wheels operation
RAW button
Pentaprizm viewfinder
L60 focusing screen with grid
CF cards up to 4GB capacity
TIFF and RAW formats
PTTL and TTL flash support (The *istD and *istDS cameras are the only ones supporting old PENTAX TTL flashes)
Wireless flash support
All the main function including meeter, ISO,RAW,DriveModes, Image Modes,Flash Modes, Exposure Bracketing, etc are controlled without going into menus
6 MP SONY sensor with good noise control up to ISO 1600
It is very solidly build and looks like miniature K20D
Operates on AA batteries
Metering and focusing of this camera was somehow more accurate then metering of my K10D
Shutter is a little quieter then regular Pentax shutter mechanism and was rated by PENTAX for 100000 actuations.

It was my favorite Pentax DSLR, I kind of regret letting it go.

It is a little slow by todays standards and back LCD is a bit small, but still can take 2.5 FPS in RAW
JPEG engine is not that good IMHO, but if you are using RAW there's no difference in IQ between istD and later models, but istD is much better controlled ergonomicaly

Camera is used but never abused, there are no defects or scuffs on the body as you can see, and all functions are working as expected.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition
Used
Excellent

Item Location
NYC, USA

Shipping Charge
$15

Shipping Services
USPS

Shipping Destinations
United States
P.S. I will ship to Europe as well, if you have PAYPAL confirmed address. All the EU duties will be buyers responsibility.
Shipping charges will be actual shipping charge to destination.

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy/Additional Details
yes you can return it, if it is DOA

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by awo425; 10-07-2009 at 04:51 PM.
10-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 123 (100%)
What is the shutter count?
10-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hard to say. probably around 20K, but may be less
if you can tell me the app that can read this info from EXIF I will post shutter count here
Thanks
10-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Inactive Account

PhotoMe is a free download.

10-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
PhotoMe is a free download.

Thanks a bunch, I will post shutter count tonight.
10-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Banned

Feedback Score: 8 (79%)
the istD is an excellent camera in every respect. yea it may be outdated, but its still performs where it counts. and if you are looking for a body to use manual lenses, you really have to consider the istD to be the absolute best choice. I purchased one for this reason, and I dont regret it one bit. it actually resparked an interest in using a digital body. its really a completely different camera from the current crop. the K-7 is very similar in some respects, but the istD is still just "different". a wonderful body. if I could justify having two I would pick it up myself!
10-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #7

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
the istD is an excellent camera in every respect. yea it may be outdated, but its still performs where it counts. and if you are looking for a body to use manual lenses, you really have to consider the istD to be the absolute best choice. I purchased one for this reason, and I dont regret it one bit. it actually resparked an interest in using a digital body. its really a completely different camera from the current crop. the K-7 is very similar in some respects, but the istD is still just "different". a wonderful body. if I could justify having two I would pick it up myself!
I agree. ist D is an excellent camera. I still have it and still use it even though I now have K2000. K2000 is good also, but at higher ISO, e.g., 1600 or 3200, ist D is better.
10-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just went outside and took a snapshot with the camera and MF SMC 55/1.8 mounted on it.
This is frame number 18592, according to PhotoME

10-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 105 (100%)
Great shot!
10-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 8 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
if you are looking for a body to use manual lenses, you really have to consider the istD to be the absolute best choice.
Why? (Other than for the TTL flash)

QuoteOriginally posted by Genes Pentax Quote
I agree. ist D is an excellent camera. I still have it and still use it even though I now have K2000. K2000 is good also, but at higher ISO, e.g., 1600 or 3200, ist D is better.
Yes, the *istD is a very good camera.

I had an *istD and now have a K7 and the *istD still has comparable high iso performance up to 1600 iso. The cameras look and feel very similar to handle.
10-08-2009, 05:27 AM   #11
Banned

Feedback Score: 8 (79%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Why? (Other than for the TTL flash)

Yes, the *istD is a very good camera.

I had an *istD and now have a K7 and the *istD still has comparable high iso performance up to 1600 iso. The cameras look and feel very similar to handle.
true penta-prism viewfinder with interchangable screens. better high ISO performance. much better metering with non-A lenses. (better than all bodys after it, except K-7, as that has yet to be determined) much more "pro" (I hate using that word) control layout, with more direct button or mode dial access to the main settings, xp-flash sync, its small size, which can be a big plus for someoe buying this for a specific use, or a backup. dual control wheels, among other things.

I will say this. I started using manual lenses on a K110D. when I purchased a istD it was a night and day difference in usability of these lenses. yes there are some drawbacks. such as the very outdated LCD, the much slower FPS, the use of CF instead of SD. but for using manual lenses this body is still king for most people. as again, it has yet to be determined whether or not the K-7 is better suited. even if so, its much more expensive.

the main comparison here isnt the K-7 though, as that is the newest flagship model. its all bodies from the K20D back the the istD. which one of those can be had at current istD prices and offer what the istD does in the way of using manual lenses? heck for a beginner, its perrformance difference would be unnoticable from even the K100 series.
10-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sale pending
10-10-2009, 06:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 23 (100%)
PM Me if sale falls through...
10-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
awo429,

Consider posting that image in the "bicycles" thread.
10-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sold and on it's way