Feedback Score: 105 (100%)
[SOLD] SMC Takumar 1000mm f/8

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SMC Takumar 1000mm f/8

Asking Price
US$500.00

Item Description
Getting this lens to its current state has been quite an odyssey. As you'll see from that link, I got the lens via eBay, where it was advertised as a Takumar 500mm f/4.5. It turned out to be the SMC 1000mm f/8, and I got a hell of a deal. Of course, as with many eBay purchases, things weren't perfect. A bolt was loose inside, and several light baffles had also become unattached. Moreover, the mount had been custom fitted to the Nikon F-mount. With the help of many members of the forum I mananged to get the mount situation figured out. With the help of Eric Hendrickson, I got the lens's internals fixed and also got the elements a thorough cleaning.

Remaining quirks with the lens:
1. Infinity focus is not currently possible, as the T-mount adapter used to get it to K-mount is slightly too thick. However, it focuses several hundred feet without issue.
2. As you might gather from the above, the lens mount can be switched out at will for any T-mount adapter. Currently the lens has a K-mount adapter (thanks to Paul aka monochrome). However, you could conceivably use a screwmount, F-mount, FD-mount, MD-mount, or whatever you like, with no issue other than the above-mentioned infinity focus. (...which should be able to be fixed by filing/cutting off a few mm of the adapter.)

The lens is quite sharp considering its age/design. You can see my initial test pics here. Included are the lens, caps, the K-mount adapter, the F-mount adapter that came with it, and the original(?) steel case. The shipping weight is just over 30lbs. The lens by itself weighs about 12lbs. You'll need a sturdy tripod for this.

I'm selling because I've finally resigned myself to the fact that I have no need for it as I don't typically shoot wildlife or spy on my neighbors across the street. Well, across two or three streets...

I'll give first dibs to any of the guys who helped me out in the above-linked thread.

CONUS sale preferred, but I will consider WW on a case-by-case basis. Interested WW buyers, please understand that WW shipping may be considerably more expensive for a lens of this size.

Photos:

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition
Used
Good

Item Location
Santa Fe, NM

Shipping Charge
Varies by location (approx. $25 CONUS)

Shipping Services
FedEx

Shipping Destinations
Continental U.S. Only

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy/Additional Details
Buyer has 7 days to inspect the item and report any issues not described in this sale post. If necessary, full refund will be issued upon return receipt of item. Buyer pays return shipping.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

10-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some nibbles but no bites yet. Gentle bump!
11-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bummmmmmmmp!
11-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
any photos you have taken with the lens??

I would be interested to see what there is.

ALso, have you considered removing the T mount, and replacing it with a M42 Screw mount Flanged adaptor, so that it will then achieve infinity focus, or simply replacing it with a mount stolen from another lens?

11-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To be honest I haven't done much more with the lens than sharpness tests in my front yard, etc. There are some samples in a link in the text in the OP, and there are some more here: 1000mm Test - deadwolfbones' Photos. No sharpening applied.

The problem with the mount is that (I believe) it's been machined to accept the T-mount adapters, and there's not an easy way to get back to infinity focus by the means you suggest. The easiest way would probably be grinding off a few mm from the T-mount adapter(s).

I took it out the other day for a range test. The shots in the link directly above are at about 65 paces, and the max focusing range is about 170 of my paces, so probably about 170 yards or 510ft.
11-04-2009, 04:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 61 (100%)
I have this lens in K-mount. It has it's limitations (not suitable as a walk-about or for low-light photography) but it's pretty impressive optically.
11-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
Did you happen to ask Eric about fixing the mount?

11-04-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did, but he didn't seem to know very much about that sort of thing.
11-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
It's too bad I don't have 500 to spend :/
Bump.
11-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by palindrom Quote
It's too bad I don't have 500 to spend :/
Bump.
At the rate this is going, it might still be around when you do.

Bump!
11-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
Agghhh, I can't believe this is still for sale. I paid more than $500 for my 500mm SMC Tak. I've only spent about 3x as I intended this year on photography stuff and snowmobiling season is fast approaching and isn't cheap otherwise I'd be all over this beast.
11-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
I use a Tokina 800 mm f8 with my K100D for long range wildlife pictures. It is my dream to photograph young eagles in the nest which usually requires elevation above tree tops and distance of over 600 meters from the nest. Best spot I have found is on the bluffs above the Mississippi river which puts the range closer to a km or half a mile and more. The lens does the shots very well and the DOF at distance is good but the birds have not cooperated yet in giving me the shot. (Sigh). Yes I know others have taken these photo's but it is not the same as my taking the photo. I have different T-Mount adapters and they all give me infinite focus except one which has the same labeling. Then I discovered that the sections of the mount were screwed together and by removing a set of set screws(3 around the outside) I was able to screw it in farther and "viola" I had infinite focus! So I might suggest you examine the mount carefully and see if this is possible for yours.
Alan W.
11-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
I use a Tokina 800 mm f8 with my K100D for long range wildlife pictures. It is my dream to photograph young eagles in the nest which usually requires elevation above tree tops and distance of over 600 meters from the nest. Best spot I have found is on the bluffs above the Mississippi river which puts the range closer to a km or half a mile and more. The lens does the shots very well and the DOF at distance is good but the birds have not cooperated yet in giving me the shot. (Sigh). Yes I know others have taken these photo's but it is not the same as my taking the photo. I have different T-Mount adapters and they all give me infinite focus except one which has the same labeling. Then I discovered that the sections of the mount were screwed together and by removing a set of set screws(3 around the outside) I was able to screw it in farther and "viola" I had infinite focus! So I might suggest you examine the mount carefully and see if this is possible for yours.
Alan W.
Thanks for the tip, Alan! I'll give it a look.
11-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 61 (100%)
In case anybody out there is thinking this is simply a novelty item, think again. I have a copy of the K-mount version and, let me tell you, this is serious glass. It's demanding--shooting with it isn't a p&s sort of thing--but very rewarding.
Attached Images

11-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
PM sent. not that I should be interested right now.