Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 04:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Feedback Score: 117 (100%)
[SOLD] K20D for $225.00 Shipped to Ca and USA

Yeah that caught your eye. But there's always a catch.
$225 incl shipping to USA or Canada

This camera has an issue. I can't figure it out. It was sent to my local service depot (not Pentax Canada but an authorized Pentax repair center I've used anytime I've had an issue over the last 25 years) and they sent it back saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it and the issue I wanted looked at.

First the SDM link in the camera is not working. It's a screw drive only camera. I have another K20D and a K10D and my SDM lens works in SDM fine on both but not this body. I never cared about this and like the SD better anyway. It's faster. I did not ask the local service guy to check this issue.

Second, there's an issue with the AE-L button. It will randomly lock exposure in any mode. That includes M (manual). So I could fire off 30-40-50 shots just fine and not have any issue. Then suddenly the next 3-4 5 shots will have the AE-l feature just click in by itself. The button still works fine and I can turn the AE-L off to take the shot but I leave the beep on to know when it might lock the exposure values.
Because this is a dual function button, it will ask to "Protect or Unprotect" images sometimes when you are playing them back or reviewing them in camera. This is rare and not much of an issue.

I don't know what this has happened and the service shop couldn't get it to do this. They opened up the unit to look for obvious issues, like moisture or a cracked board and found nothing.

My guess? Something called a "Cold Solder joint" It's when a solder spot on a circuit board or wire connection has a hairline crack. It warms up or gets cold and will randomly turn a circuit on and off like a light switch. Easily repaired if a skilled tech wants to take the time to check each solder joint. I'd do it myself if I thought I could open the camera up and put it back together correctly. But with those WS joints/body, I doubt it.

It's been this way since July and still seen quite a bit of use. It's gotten no worse since I first noticed it. In fact it seems to happen less now than when I first noticed it.

As many know, I shoot weddings. For that work this just is unacceptable. You just can't frig with the camera when under pressure. For casual shooting, it's not an issue to hit the AE-L button once in awhile.

So Since I have 2 other good bodies and really don't need a 3rd. I'm going to offer this at a cheap price to someone who wants to either repair it or live with the AE-L issue.

I'd recommend it be someone from the USA if they decide to send it to service. They have the best repair centers.

So the going rate for a used K20D seems to be $550-650 plus shipping.
I'm discounting this to $225 including shipping to allow about $300 - 400.00 for a repair for someone who might want to do it. Who knows, it might cost an hour of labour to fix and you get a smoking deal for a $60.00 repair bill. Or you leave it as is and get a great camera cheap with an issue that doesn't get in the way too much for the casual shooter.

So It's sold completely as is. No warranty or returns. No refund. I've been clear and honest. There are no other issues although the camera has had about 20,000 frames shot and shows wear. It's never been dropped.

I'll post pics of it later today.
It will come with the box and other bits that was originally sold with a new body. I might be missing some box packaging.
This isn't OBO. $225.00 firm. Anything less and I'll send it to Pentax Canada myself when I have time.

10-25-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 17 (100%)
If someone had a set of failed DA* SDM's, will it AF using screw-drive?
10-25-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Yes. I have a DA*16-50mm and it will focus with SD on this body. So as long as the lens isn't jammed somehow and the SD works on the lens, this camera will drive the focus.
10-25-2009, 04:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 23 (100%)
PM Sent...........

10-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 23 (100%)
10-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Yup that was quick. Hope you get good use out of it Nick.