Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 101 (100%)
[SOLD] Tokina 400mm f/5.6 Low-dispersion PK telephoto lens, Worldwide ship!

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Tokina 400mm f/5.6 Low-dispersion PK telephoto lens, Worldwide ship!

Asking Price
$200 USD

Item Description
I have a Tokina SL400 (Super Low-dispersion) 400mm f/5.6 k-mount lens. The image quality with this lens is fantastic. I only was able to find 2 samples on my computer from before, but here they are. These are wide-open at f/5.6:

While the physical/cosmetic shape of this lens and the glass is excellent/near-mint, there are some notes about this lens: It had some kind of weird, old PK mount with an aperture lever that didn't let the lens stop down while mounted on a digital SLR. Changing to a lower aperture would have no affect. I have a couple lenses like this and they are a pain. I did some minor surgery on this lens to remove the aperture lever, so that you can stop this lens down. It now can go from f/5.6 all the way down, to f/22 I think, and it wasn't able to before. However, two things happened in this process: the ball bearing for the aperture ring came out and I can't locate where to put it back in, so the aperture ring is smooth and doesn't click. This can be a good or a bad thing; for me it was good because now your can adjust to different lighting conditions even quicker. And the second thing that happened is that a screw was misplaced from the mount, so there is one missing. The mount is still extremely securely screwed in, it has no affect on the structural integrity.

So now the lens can be stopped down properly on any camera, including digital SLRs. I have the aperture lever and ball bearing still, the process I performed is fully reversible if for some reason you'd like to do that. I can include it if you want.

This lens produces very sharp, colorful, and contrasty images and is surprisingly small/lightweight (smaller and lighter than the Pentax SMC-A 400/5.6) for the reach it gives. It comes with the original box and packaging. No pics yet, as I'm still waiting for my K-x to arrive.

PM me if interested, thanks!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition
Used
Excellent

Item Location
United States

Shipping Charge
Free USA, $20 Canada, $35 Worldwide

Shipping Services
USPS Only

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order Other (Elaborate)

Return Policy/Additional Details
Returns accepted if notified of being not as-described within 24 hours of receipt.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

10-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pictures of the item for sale:

10-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are some more sample pictures that I just took today with this killer lens:

Most of them link to very large versions for pixel-peepers.
10-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #4

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
None of the images link to larger versions, at least in IE8.

Are the latest pictures also at f5.6?

Best Regards.

10-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by michael_anthony Quote
None of the images link to larger versions, at least in IE8.

Are the latest pictures also at f5.6?

Best Regards.
You may need to open in a new tab/window. They work fine in Firefox and other non-IE browsers

I am pretty sure all the most recent pictures were taken at f/5.6, yes.
10-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
You may need to open in a new tab/window. They work fine in Firefox and other non-IE browsers

I am pretty sure all the most recent pictures were taken at f/5.6, yes.
yep- all working in Firefox

nice

pity about the lack of funds- otherwise , it would be a keeper
11-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will take $185 plus applicable shipping costs (still free in the USA). I think the images above still speak for themselves!
11-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #8

Feedback Score: 8 (100%)
What makes you believe that this is the super low-dispersion (SD) version? As far as I know the SD version should have a red ring behind the hood. Your lens says RMC which I believe was the cheaper non-SD version. Furthermore the super low-dispersion lens is called SL 400SD while you package only says SL400. Does it say SD somewhere on the lens?

11-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chse Quote
What makes you believe that this is the super low-dispersion (SD) version? As far as I know the SD version should have a red ring behind the hood. Your lens says RMC which I believe was the cheaper non-SD version. Furthermore the super low-dispersion lens is called SL 400SD while you package only says SL400. Does it say SD somewhere on the lens?
SL is Tokina's moniker for "Super Low Dispersion". So, the box tells me that it is, to my knowledge. RMC is the coating (Royal Multi-Coating, I think), and has nothing to do with the elements in the lens. The red ring is just cosmetic on some Tokina models, not like Canon's L series where it's a requirement.

Also, if you have any questions such as this, it's best to send it in a PM.

Last edited by wallyb; 11-03-2009 at 09:47 PM.
11-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bumping again!
11-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lens is now sold! Thanks a lot!!