[SOLD] Pentax F 50mm f1.7 in original box + extra

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Pentax F 50mm f1.7 in original box + extra

Asking Price

Shipping Destinations
U.S, U.K, Canada, Australia

Item Description
What: Pentax F 50mm f1.7 in original box + original receipt + expired warranty card + original unique front and rear caps + original Pentax F series lens brochure

This is once in a year opportunity to get a Mint- Pentax F 50mm f1.7 lens. You can not and do not want to get a brand new F lens, since it would be in a box for more than 10 years. It is the best to bring it out of the box and shoot a couple of pictures from now and then. That is what I have done. I live in a very dry area. Humidity is constantly below 35% in my house. So fungus has never been a problem for me.

The lens: the red font on the lens makes it ultra classy. This lens works on all post screw mount Pentax cameras including all digital one. It is arguably one of the best Pentax lenses. I have no quarrel with that finding.

Conditions: lens and accessories (mint); box (show signs of use)

One important caveat: I found this today. When I took photos of the rear lens element from a particular angle under particular lighting conditions, there are some extremely small dots on the inside the rear element. I have not seen this for the years in under my possession. Could it be dust or manufacturing imperfection? I do not know. I know this does not affect the image quality in any perceptible way. Just want to be very careful and have full disclosure.

See more photos:
Picasa Web Albums - yuzhou88 - Pentax 50mm F...

Why sell: I hate to let this go. I purchased this a while ago and thought that it might give birth to more 50mm f1.7s. Unfortunately, this has not happened. I can not use a new lens so I recently bought a used one with much worse condition. To fund my LBA, I have to let this go.

Trade: would trade any short focal length lens (shorter than 20mm); details to be negotiated.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling or Trading

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Mint

Item Location
Salt Lake City, UT

Shipping Charge
free

Shipping Services
USPS priority

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order

Return Policy & Additional Details
7 day inspection, buyer pay return shipping; if DOA I pay return shipping. International shipping extra.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by yyyzzz; 11-08-2009 at 04:18 AM. Reason: To be consistent with the forum rule
10-30-2009, 04:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 52 (100%)
PM Sent on the F 50mm 1.7 Thanks and regards.
10-30-2009, 05:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 48 (100%)
The spots look like some liquid was sprayed over the lens. They should be quite easy to clean with a lensPEN or the proper fluids and cloth.

Nice package. I have one such lens and would never sell it. I'm impresed that you still have all the boxes and documentation.

Question : I purchased one such lens used, and it has a Pentax front cap, but it's not a push cap, rather a clip-on cap (like most modern lenses). Is it possible that Pentax made two types of caps for this lens? The same question applies to the rear cap. I'm just being curious here
10-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The spots look like some liquid was sprayed over the lens. They should be quite easy to clean with a lensPEN or the proper fluids and cloth.

Nice package. I have one such lens and would never sell it. I'm impresed that you still have all the boxes and documentation.

Question : I purchased one such lens used, and it has a Pentax front cap, but it's not a push cap, rather a clip-on cap (like most modern lenses). Is it possible that Pentax made two types of caps for this lens? The same question applies to the rear cap. I'm just being curious here
My F has the clip type cap. It came with a bunch of equipment I bought at a pawn shop. By the condition and receipts included I'm pretty sure my 1.7 came with that cap when it was bought in 1989 for 69.95.

10-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 34 (100%)
Original Poster

The spots appear to be inside the rear element. I have never seen them through the years of my ownership until last night when I took the photos. I put the lamps in different direction and discovered this.

I have never seen those push up caps before either. They appear to be Pentax authentic. It feels more snuggle than the old Takumar push on caps, since it is made for 51mm. Very unique, I have to admit.

Thanks for your interest.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

10-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
early 80s

The lens was originally bought in the early 1980s for about $81. Thanks.
10-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some photos

Here are some...
Attached Images

10-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 105 (100%)
These sorts of spots are visible in the elements of some lenses. The Sigma 70-200/2.8 is known for this in particular, I believe. Something to do with the cement between the elements or something?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/69952-sigma-24...t-element.html

10-31-2009, 12:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the note

The microspots are on the rear element. I am pretty sure they are not about the cement between lens elements. They seem much less visible than the spots on your lens. When I look at the lens straight up, I would not be able to see anything. I think they could be manufacturing imperfections. Anyway, if this scares buyers off, I would like to keep it. Maybe it will help create future generations.
10-31-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 105 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by yyyzzz Quote
The microspots are on the rear element. I am pretty sure they are not about the cement between lens elements. They seem much less visible than the spots on your lens. When I look at the lens straight up, I would not be able to see anything. I think they could be manufacturing imperfections. Anyway, if this scares buyers off, I would like to keep it. Maybe it will help create future generations.
Yeah, sorry. I wasn't trying to scare people off. Just trying to provide an explanation.

It's entirely possible (even likely) that it's something quite benign.
11-05-2009, 04:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
pm received and responded

pm received and responded
11-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 38 (100%)
A fantastic lens, one of the best I've ever owned/used. Very tempting but I will continue to resist because I already have the 1.4s.
11-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
Anyone have opinions on this vs the FA version?

I know these are sharper than the 1.4's
11-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 38 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
...I know these are sharper than the 1.4's
I currently have both the F and FA f1.4, and had an F f1.7 which was quite sharp. But I wouldn't definitively say that the F f1.7 is sharper at all apertures than the f1.4s.
11-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Comparison

The two seem to produce somewhat different images, becuase they have different optical designs. I do not think that you can use technical charts to sufficiently tell the differences. Lens is not only a technical item, also a piece of art.

However, if one does want to focus on resolution as the criterion, I can say that the resolution is quite close and the f1.7 edges out the f1.4 ever so slightly at the largest aperture. Again, I do not think resolution should be the only criterion. Thanks for the interests.

Last edited by yyyzzz; 11-06-2009 at 01:07 AM.