PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Sigma APO 100-300 F4 - $550.00

Asking Price
550.00 obo

Shipping Destinations
United States

Item Description
Hello! Thanks for looking. If you're interested in this lens, you are probably curious as to why it is priced so low... please read on. I received this lens in a trade. To make a long story short, without testing the lens a great deal, I decided to sell it due in large part with how large it is. I have gravitated towards small primes mainly and this didn't fit my current shooting style.

The good: It is a big lens with excellent optics.

The bad: As it turns out, the lens has a back focus issue. The member that bought it from me uses a K-7 and could not dial in the appropriate focus adjust. It was just too much for the K-7 to bring back. He has returned it and I have since returned his money.

Now, the back focus is obviously an auto focus issue. Using manual focus, yields sharp images. Again, the optics are excellent on this lens. Sigma has said since they cannot flash the chip on this lens to fix the focusing issue, they can't (won't) repair it. I haven't tried a third party repair outfit, but that may be a possibility.

That being said, depending on how you use the lens, it may not be an issue. Also, the auto-focus issue probably varies from camera to camera. I only have a K200D and K2000 (both have a very similar auto focus system) and the back focus is similar. YMMV.

In the follow-up post, I am going to post three images from using the lens today. Simply put, F4.0 images at some distance (50-75' +) back focused enough to cause the subject to be out of focus. F8.0 images at a similar distance, produced a sharp, well exposed subject. Depending on the distance to your subject, F5.6 or F7.1 might work. What is odd is that the subject distance seems to affect just how much it back focuses. Under 50' seems to have little or no focus issues. So again, depending on how you would use the lens, it may not matter to you.

It is a tremendous lens. If you are OK with occasionally using manual focus (manual focus is very easy with this lens) or will tend to stop down for added depth of field, this is a great lens at a heavy discount. Before I knew there was an issue, I originally sold this for $750. If you need perfect auto focus at F4.0, this isn't for you - regardless of my price.

The lens is in physically fine shape - glass is very clean with a few dust specs evident under the front element. There is some slight peeling of the EX finish (normal) around the tripod mount. The worst of it will be in a picture below. Auto focus is fast and sometimes accurate .

The original box comes with the lens, as does the front and rear caps, hood, and soft case.

I am asking $550 plus $25 shipping in the USA. I will entertain offers. If you are in the Philly area and want to meet to check it out, I welcome that opportunity. Please PM me for details.

I am trying to be as honest as possible about this lens - I want no surprises. Let me know if you have any questions.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Fair

Item Location
Philly (USA)

Shipping Charge

Shipping Services
USPS Priority Mail

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order

Return Policy & Additional Details
as-is

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K2000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K2000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K2000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K2000  Photo 
11-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 27 (100%)
Original Poster
As previously mentioned, I am posting three images from today to give an idea of what the lens is capable of. For the sake of providing some 'real world' images, I used it to photograph my niece today. These are about 70% crops (I didn't do the math). They are all cropped similarly to be able to compare.

All three are at 280mm (by chance).
#1 is F4.0
#2 is F8.0
#3 is F8.0

No sharpening applied to the first two and slightly applied to 3. As you can see, the grass a few steps behind her is in focus on the first, not her. However, in the next two she is in focus given the added depth of field from using F8.0.
Attached Images

11-08-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
Maybe.
11-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #4

Feedback Score: 8 (100%)
Just for clarifications sake, this is functioning lens, but with a back-focusing problem, which is unfix-able, but can be worked around?

Thanks!

11-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pwn4g3_P13 Quote
Just for clarifications sake, this is functioning lens, but with a back-focusing problem, which is unfix-able, but can be worked around?

Thanks!
Simply put, yes. I am sorry if that was not clear. It is 'unfixable' via Sigma as they have stated that they don't want to do mechanical repairs on the lens. Whether or not an independent repair outfit could and would work on it, is another story. I have not investigated that option. It is still capable of high quality shots both via auto focus and manual focus, there are just a few limitations.

EDIT: It is also possible that this lens will behave differently on different bodies as well. I only have a K7 and K200D/K2000 to go off of.
11-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 67 (100%)
Did Sigma clarify exactly why they would not do any mechanical repairs? I have the newer version EX DG which is still under warrenty for 2 more years so I can't imagine them not repairing mine if such a need occured.

Still, all in all the lens you have has some life left in it and could be used easy enough. I manually focused this shot on mine.

11-09-2009, 05:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Did Sigma clarify exactly why they would not do any mechanical repairs? I have the newer version EX DG which is still under warrenty for 2 more years so I can't imagine them not repairing mine if such a need occured.

Still, all in all the lens you have has some life left in it and could be used easy enough. I manually focused this shot on mine.
I have come to understand that some older versions of a current lens are no longer able to be rechipped for whatever reasons, I have read responses from Sigma stating it is because the lens itself is not able to acccept the newer chip/firmware.

And for mechanical issues it could be that some parts are not in stock by Sigma...BUT...you could call CRIS to see if they can do anything. I have had excellent results with them on the couple in-warranty service I have needed. So, maybe contacting CRIS directly could provide a solution?

It would be a shame to see a lens like this go unwanted because of the AF issue.
11-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
Hi Joey,

PM sent

Scott

11-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Scott - replied to and will mark as sold pending payment. Thanks!
11-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
100-300 sigma

Do any of you who use this lens have any experience with teleconverters w/ the lens? How does that perform?

Also, wouldn't this lens in this condition be a candidate for the Pentax 1.7 AF TC?
11-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Inspector 17 Quote
Do any of you who use this lens have any experience with teleconverters w/ the lens? How does that perform?

Also, wouldn't this lens in this condition be a candidate for the Pentax 1.7 AF TC?
Hi Inspector 17,

I would primarily plan to use this lens with TCs. It should be fine with the Sigma EX 1.4x as it's listed as compatible by Sigma, and the F 1.7x AFA is physically compatible with any K-mount lens, and has been a valuable addition to my FA*300/4.5, so the ability to AF will not be an issue. It also has a comparable minimum focusing distance at @ 6 feet.

At over 3lbs, it will be 1.5x heavier and a bit more of a handful than the FA*300 for handholding, and it's considerably bigger with an 82mm filter size as opposed to the FA*300's 67mm. Comparing it to the alternatives, it's about a lb less than the Sigma 150-500 HSM, and just a tad more than the now discontinued Sigma 170-500 -- while pretty much matching the FL range and speed (the 100-300 + 1.7x AFA will be 170-510 f6.8), but will have internal focusing and zoom which will make it much more compact in use at the long end -- and the balance point won't change while zooming which will make my Wimberley Sidekick happy. I also like the finish of the EX line better than the sub EX xxx-500 zooms. I also find a constant aperture zoom more convenient in use as there are no shutter speed change surprises when shooting a relatively slow lens in marginal lighting conditions.

IQ is really dependent on the particular lens, but by reputation, the resolution is close to the newer Pentax *300s. I do expect the bokeh will suffer a bit in comparison. I'm hoping that the TC combos will work out well.

Scott