Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
[SOLD] FS: SMC Pentax-FA 1:2.8 20mm

SOLD! On its way to a new home!

This lens has a story, which I'll tell here.

I bought it new from B&H in May 2005 to take on my first trip to lovely Oregon. It produced one of my more popular images from that trip from atop Garfield Peak surrounding Crater Lake:

On that very trip this lens took a tumble out of my poorly designed and complete piece of crap LowePro bag. LowePro makes junk, junk, junk, and I will always hate them and please everyone do me a favor and never buy their crap again.
Anyway, I was on some rocks in Northern California when the lens fell out of the aforementioned crappy bag and banged on a single rock before coming to rest. The cap was on (thankfully) so the damage was restricted to the threads only - the glass never came in contact with the rock or anything else, as you'll see by the utterly perfect glass.

I had the threads repaired recently by Authorized Camera Repair in Willow Grove, PA. While it was in for that repair, I had ACR adjust the infinity focus for my K10D because I was experiencing trouble just before infinity. (Note that this problem existed since I purchased the lens and before the crappy bag dropped it - I simply never had it adjusted nor did I send it to Pentax. I wanted to use the lens on my K10 which was farther off than the DS.) Matt (who owns ACR and worked personally on my lens) is a great guy and warranties his repairs for 12 months. This warranty goes with the lens and is valid until 21 February 2008. The repair slip will ship with the lens and you are welcome to call/email Matt personally - he surely knows the lens. He did not have to open the lens elements to do his repair.

So that's the story. I'll post pictures of the lens in the reply, but feel free to check them out on my For Sale gallery and I have a gallery of pictures here.

The front and rear glass are perfect, as are the aperture blades. The body has unfortunate marks from the above story and the crappy bag.

The lens ships with the original box, all paperwork, and original front and rear caps. I'm also including a lens hood for it - not the 'real' hood which is impossible to find but rather a screw-in lens that came from an old Takumar Zoom lens. A little known fact - the hood for the Takumar Zoom 1:4 45-125mm lens (which has 58mm threads) is really just a 58-67mm step-up ring and a 67mm hood. That is why it fits on the FA 20.

Given that it is not in 100% condition, I'm open to offers. PM or e-mail me.

Thanks for looking,
Sean

Last edited by carpents; 07-27-2007 at 02:47 PM.
06-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
Original Poster
Pictures...

With the nifty hood:

The resultant damage from the crappy bag:

(Note - filters will mount just fine.)

The perfect front glass:

The rear glass:

Finally, a picture of the mount. There are my normal marks from putting the lens on and off the cameras.
06-04-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 19 (100%)
Sean,

PM Coming.
06-25-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 23 (100%)
Hi is this lens still available pls?