PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 - damaged but works normaly

Asking Price
$400 O.B.O.

Shipping Destinations
United States

Item Description
So, one dark and stormy night, my tripod was blown over by a thunderstorm gust front and my DA* 16-50 received some internal damage in the clutch or interface between the focusing ring and the the internal focusing components. The lens still auto-focuses perfectly, and manually focuses perfectly, but if you spin the MF ring around (you know, the way that the SDM focusing ring can continue to spin while the internal focusing mechanism stops at it's limits...), you find a spot where the ring catches a little - it has a bit more resistance at that spot, which must be where there is some damage or bent component which matches up with the internal ring...When you leave this catch spot matched up with the middle of the focusing range, it can seem to mess with the autofocusing a bit, but since you can rotate the outer ring away an leave it alone, it never really interferes with AF or MF operation of the lens.

The glass, zooming, and focusing of this lens are all flawless, and there doesn't appear to be any decentering or other optical problem caused by the fall (I'm sure I've shot over a thousand photos with the lens since the "incident") - but of course there's the chance that something will eventually go wrong internally - I don't get that feeling, but there's a chance. There really is almost no external evidence of the fall other than scratching on the front cap, and I believe the weather sealing has not been affected (but I haven't tested that ).

Since I've switched to Canon (with the exception of my K20D + 1.7x AFTC + Tamron 400mm for a long tele use) I think I'll seldom if ever use this lens, so I may as well sell it to someone who will. The asking price is $400 or best offer.

I understand you will want to check out the lens and possibly return it, so the plan is that the buyer will have two weeks from receiving the lens to determine if they will accept it's condition. If you're not happy with it during that time period, you may ship it back to me at your cost and I'll refund you what you paid (minus the shipping to you).

The sale includes the original box, papers, hood (with the filter-spinning-window-cover still in it ), case, caps.

Pics of the lens - note the pristine glass (the lens has had a filter on it since day one)...

now a couple samples from the lens - post incident...

I would also be interested in trades fast Canon glass (100mm f/2, 85mm f/1.8, etc...), a 100mm-ish macro (even a Tamron Adaptall-2 90mm macro), Canon flashes or similar...

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Damaged

Item Location
Central California

Shipping Charge
included

Shipping Services
USPS Priority

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
The buyer will have two weeks from receiving the lens to determine if they will accept it's condition. If you're not happy with it during that time period, you may ship it back to me at your cost and I'll refund you what you paid (minus shipping). I'm keeping the sale to US residents only to keep the cost of shipping and return shipping low.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by heliphoto; 11-24-2009 at 11:10 PM.
11-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 42 (98%)
PM Sent with questions.
11-24-2009, 03:47 PM   #3

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
2nd in line..also interested
11-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #4

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
DA* 16-50mm f2.8

pm sent. Thank You

11-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 53 (100%)
Original Poster
PMs replied to - several interested parties already. Sale tentatively pending...