Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 53 (100%)
[SOLD] K20D, Tamron SP 400mm f/4, Pentax-F 1.7x AF Teleconverter, AF 160SA Flash...

Since selling most of my Pentax gear for a system switch, I've been hanging onto this combo as my long lens setup, but I could get a lot more use out of additional Canon lenses and a flash or two and have just as much fun stalking birds with my 100-400mm (and the TC I just ordered) as I can with this rig, though for sure, I won't get as close ...

The offerings:
  • K20D - Sold
  • Tamron SP 400mm f/4 LD-IF (Model 65B) w/ 1.4x and 2x Adaptall Teleconverters - Sold
  • PK/A Adaptall-2 Adapter - Sold
  • 112mm UV "Normal" filter
  • Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter - Sold
  • AF 160 SA flash unit
  • 16 GB Transcend SD card - sold
  • 8 GB Transcend SD card

Shipping and sales out of the US:

Unless stated otherwise, shipping will be at actual cost for insured shipping - it's included within the US for the big lens and anything you choose to buy with the big lens.

In the US expect $6 to $15 or so depending on the size and insured value of your purchase.

Shipping out of the US will likely be around $30 to Canada and $40 or $50 to other countries (recent experience includes Australia (the one with kangaroos), Austria (the one without), Chile, Canada, so I'm getting a feel for it.) Expect shipping the big lens out of the country to cost as much as $100 or more, so I'm hoping it will sell within the US.
The stuff is located in central California near Yosemite, so if you're close, you can stop by to check something out.

Returns:

If you are unsatisfied with something, you may returned it within 7 days of delivery (well, at least initiate the return and ship it within 7 days ). When I receive the returned item, I'll refund you the purchase price (not the shipping - that's your cost). I will be shipping all the expensive items insured with tracking etc., and returns need to be handled the same way - insurance is required on any return, so if an item is lost in the mail, it's covered.
Large Photos of all the major items (ie, not the SD cards) are available here in this gallery.

112mm UV "Normal" filter - $125[/B]

Tamron Multicoated 112mm unmarked glass and coatings, with sweet leather case. Again, this is reserved for the buyer of the Tamron 400mm and if the buyer of the lens doesn't want it it will be open for general sale.

AF 160 SA flash unit - $15

This one's unrelated to the super telephoto stuff - just something I won't be using. This site claims it has a safe voltage - I've fired it a couple times, but that's it - I make no promises about the voltage - test it yourself before you fry your nice digital camera .

8 GB Transcend Class 6 SD Card - $12 shipped in the US.

Note: I've found the 16 GB card to write too slowly for K-7 video, and I imagine the 8 GB version is as well. No trouble otherwise they've been reliable for me.

Please send me a private message if interested in an item!

Sold Items moved down here:

Tamron SP 400mm f/4 LD-IF (Model 65B) w/ 1.4x and 2x Adaptall Teleconverters - $1,000 shipped in the US. - Sold

This is a very sharp fast telephoto lens. It's manual focus, when combined with the PK/A adapter sold below, the lens has fully auto aperture and can work in all auto exposure modes on modern Pentax cameras (Av, Tv, TAv, program, etc...). Combined with the Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter (for sale below) it is effectively a 680mm f/6.8 lens with the ability to autofocus within a certain adjustable range (due to that magical adapter) - while clearly not as good as a true 700mm prime might be, I have had quite good results using this combo (you'll need a decent tripod to support this lens).

Included are the Adaptall 1.4x and 2x Teleconverters, , the soft case, original caps, pad for lens barrel, and hood (though the hood had been broken in it's history, so it is a little shorter than stock). The lens exterior shows some wear, but is not too beat up considering it's age. The front element has a few small marks and fine "cleaning mark" type scratches, but I'd rate it as 8 out of 10 where 10 is completely unblemeshed. These small marks have no impact on the images produced by this lens (they are truly miniscule compared to the 112mm front element as a whole ). The rear element is way inside the lens and pristine as far as I can tell. There is a little internal dust, but not bad, and not surprising considering the age of the lens. There is no fungus or contamination visable in the lens and the no sign of de-bonding or problems with the elements - all looks great.

The aperture functions perfectly, and the blades are clean, dry and snappy. Focusing is likewise, fantastically smooth - less resistance than a Takumar would have, but equally smooth - much like the Tamron AF 90mm macro in feel (though this lens may have a lighter touch than the 90mm - it's my personal favorite manually focusing lens I've ever used). The focusing ring has a locking detent collar for holding the focus at one point or acting as a focus preset. The built-in tripod collar has detent stops at the horizontal and vertical positions (like the DA*300 does) - very sweet.

The lens comes with the 43mm Normal filter included in the rear filter tray - the 112mm front Normal filter may be purchased as a separate item below.

Some specs on this lens can be found here on the Adaptall-2 site - note the minimum focusing distance of only 3 meters - that is quite close for a long lens like this and allows for good closeups of small things, especially when coupled with the teleconverters. Here's a review I did of the lens shortly after acquiring it (and before I had a decent tripod ). Here are some blog posts I've tagged as related to this lens containing many photos. Here are some photos in my gallery shot with this lens (most are also on the blog).

More shots of the lens (with large versions available) are here in this gallery.
PK/A Adaptall-2 Adapter - $50 - Sold.

This is the "A" mode version of the adaptall-2 adapter for pentax allowing all auto aperture modes to be used. I've been having a bit of trouble with intermittent signal loss - which just means I have to jiggle/twist the camera on it's mount for it to reaquire signal, so I'm selling it for only $50 rather than the $100 it should get when working perfectly. This adapter is reserved for the buyer of the Tamron 400mm and if the buyer of the lens doesn't want it it will be open for general sale.

16 GB Transcend Class 6 SD Card - $25 shipped in the US. - SOLD

K20D - Slightly damaged but working perfectly... $450 o.b.o. - SOLD
This is the counterpart to the DA* 16-50 I recently sold also damaged in the same incident. What happened is that the tripod was blown over by a thunderstorm gust, causing some internal damage to the lens, and destroying the DBG-2 battery grip - for many months I thought the camera body had survived completely unscathed, but a couple months ago I noticed a very small hairline crack in the base plate next to the tripod mount threads. I can detect no play in the tripod mount , and I haven't seen the crack enlarge, and I can't flex the base plate or move the crack, but there it is. I imagine the crack has compromised the weather sealing to some extent, so if I were going to use the camera with a weather sealed lens in dusty or inclement weather or very humid conditions, I'd probalby cover the crack with electrical tape (If I were keeping the camera, I would just tape it and forget it). The only other "negative" is that the shutter count is fairly high at 17,097 but I remember reading that these things are rated to 100,000 actuations, so this isn't really too high.

Every thing is working perfectly with the camera, and other than the above mentioned crack, the only other cosmetic blem I can find is a small scratch on the metal tab used to open the SD Card slot. It's had screen protectors on it since day one, and I will leave them on for you, so any screen scratches you see in the photos are on the protectors. The camera body comes with original box, papers, cap, battery, strap, etc... Also included are 2 Spare Konica Batteries for the K20D.

More photos are available in this gallery.

Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter - $320 - SOLD
This is the Legendary and Magical (well it is pretty cool) autofocusing teleconverter which will allow current pentax AF cameras to autofocus any lens attached (be it a Takumar, M series, A series or modern). It does this by moving the elements within the TC, and only has a limited range, so you need to get fairly close with the lenses focusing ring, and then the TC will be able to fine tune the focus. This is great for telephoto use as it works like a built in focus limiter, so if the TC fails to lock focus, the hunting period is extremly short - it also focuses very quickly and has as good an image quality as I've seen from a TC!

A few signs of use are visible, no scratches - it's in great shape, the glass is pristine and it functions perfectly. Here are some images shot with this TC.

Last edited by heliphoto; 12-02-2009 at 11:30 AM.
11-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 52 (100%)
TC (and Tamron) sample photos

Wow, those are some great shots! I imagine the birds and insects don't know the difference between a Canon and a Pentax!
11-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 7 (100%)
pmed =] bumpp
11-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nicholas621 Quote
pmed =] bumpp
Thanks - 16gb SD card sold.

11-26-2009, 01:49 AM   #5
Damn Brit

Feedback Score: (%)
PM sent on TC.
11-26-2009, 02:10 AM   #6

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
Tamron Adaptall 2

I'm interested in the PK/A adaptor in case it doesn't get sold with the telephoto lens.
11-26-2009, 02:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 34 (100%)
Great photos!

They are fabulous!
11-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #8

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
PM send on Tamron 400

11-26-2009, 07:20 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 22 (100%)
Cracked bottom plate fix

The cracked K20D bottom is very easy to replace and it costs below $10 - see my post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/67566-cracked-bottom-plate-k20d.html

Cheers
Slawek
11-26-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
PM Sent on K20D
11-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All PMs replied to. Sale pending on the 1.7x AFTC

QuoteOriginally posted by michael_anthony Quote
I'm interested in the PK/A adaptor in case it doesn't get sold with the telephoto lens.
Ok, thanks
QuoteOriginally posted by yyyzzz Quote
Great photos!
They are fabulous!
Thanks! (It's the gear you know - you should buy this stuff )

QuoteOriginally posted by slawek Quote
The cracked K20D bottom is very easy to replace and it costs below $10 - see my post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/67566-cracked-bottom-plate-k20d.html

Cheers
Slawek
Good info, thanks Slawek!

All items aside from the 1.7x AFTC and the 16gb card remain available... Happy Thanksgiving ...
11-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K20D is sold...
11-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #13

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
PM sent regarding Tamron
11-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry everyone, my internet was down this morning (still is withdrawls are hittin' bad - I'm at my mom's at the moment to get a fix) Sale is pending on the Tamron w/ the PK/A adapter - fusionimaging, you're second in line for it as it stands...
12-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tamron 400mm and pk/a adapter are sold.

112mm filter is now available for general sale - price is firm. I've decided to keep the flash...

Edit: I'm going to close this thread and list the filter separately.

Last edited by heliphoto; 12-05-2009 at 09:15 AM.