PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Sears A 135mm f/2.8 Macro

Asking Price
$45 (USD)

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Item Description
For sale is a Sears 135mm f/2.8 Macro lens with "A" setting. I purchased this from eBay several months ago, and even after going through a lot of trouble to "restore" it, I just don't ever use it. Maybe someone else will give it a better home.

It is currently in good condition, but it wasn't always. When I got the lens, the front-facing surface of the rear element and the rearward facing surface of the next element--on the other side of the iris--had a light case of fungus. (Unfortunately, the eBay seller neglected to mention this...serves me right for not asking.) Luckily, after removing the rear element for access and cleaning the affected lens surfaces, there was no apparent damage to the coatings or glass. There seems to be no lasting effect from the fungal infection, and if I were a less honest seller, I could easily get away with not mentioning it. But I believe in full disclosure!

While I had the lens apart, I took the opportunity to correct a couple of other problems. I removed the "Ricoh pin" from the mount, so there's no fear of getting this lens stuck to your camera. I also adjusted the aperture mechanism to improve the stop-down performance. When I first got it, the lens didn't expose proplerly when stopped down. The camera would meter wide open, but then the iris idn't close enough at the smaller apertures (I described the problem in this thread). I fixed this by adjusting the position of the auto-aperture linkage. It works terrifically now.

So, in short, this is a lens I purchased with a few surprise problems. I spent a little time and rehabilitated it, and now it works great. The cleaned glass and rejuvenated aperture mechanism make for a lens that works as it's supposed to.

As for its current condition, the lens is good optically and mechanically. There are no scratches, hazing, or residual fungus on the glass...all the elements are clear and coatings intact. The body of the lens shows very little sign of wear. The aperture ring clicks positively throughout its range, and the blades are snappy and oil-free. The focus action is smooth and well-damped.

These Sears 135mm Macro lenses all exhibit the "soft focus" effect when using the macro function. This causes a unique glow around objects in the image. The effect can be increased or reduced by changing the macro ring between the three levels of close-focus, and can be eliminated by returning to the normal setting. No one seems to know if this effect was intentional, or an unintended consequence of the design of this model, but they all do it. No matter the reason, people seem to like the unique character, and that was part of why I bought this lens.

The sample shots below show shots with and without the "glow" effect. The dandelion was shot using the macro ring at the maximum magnification setting, 1:5. The other shot is of my official lens-testing dog, Laika. It was taken without using the macro function, and it shows how the lens is quite capable of taking sharp photos. Both of these images were taken after the lens was cleaned and repaired; they reflect its current condition.

I'm asking $45 shipped to anywhere in the lower 48 states via USPS Priority Mail. (Buyers in other locations get a $5 discount on the actual shipping costs.) I will always do my best to have the item shipped within 1 business day of receiving payment. PayPal only, please. (Paypal fees are included. I'd never dream of charging the buyer for a payment method that makes my life simpler!)

Thanks for looking!

Click on any of these images to see a much larger version in my Picasa web album. There you can see a lot more detail.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Item Location
Dayton, Ohio, USA

Shipping Charge
Free*

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Returns only accepted if item is not as described.

Free shipping to CONUS. Other buyers pay actual shipping costs minus a $5 shipping discount.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

12-31-2009, 03:31 AM   #2
MrM

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
PM sent
This will be my first Pentax Lens in my non existent collection.
12-31-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 9 (100%)
Original Poster
The lens is sold. It generated a lot more interest than I expected! Thanks everyone!