PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
vivitar 70-210mm f2.8-4 pka pentax

Asking Price

Shipping Destinations
Continental U.S. Only

Item Description
hi all.....
selling my vivitar 70-210mm f2.8-4 series 1, version 3 lens....
bought from b+h photo... and never really got around to using it..... just love lba !!&^%&^%*&^%###
it's in very nice condition, i listed it as good, i don't see any fungus, dust, gremlins or any lens imperfections... the zoom and focus work well, well damped, without any issues.....
this mounts without issues on my new k-x, also on k200d....
hope this finds a home where it will get used.... well regarded... gets favorable reviews.....here are some pics of the lens and shots taken with it.... not artistic, just to show it works...
vivitar 70-210mm f2.8-4 - a set on Flickr
thanks for looking.... pm me with any questions...
regards and happy new year, dave m

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Item Location
rhode island

Shipping Charge
free for the united states

Shipping Services
usps priority

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order

Return Policy & Additional Details
sold as is...... no returns...
(please have confidence... i've been an ebayer since 1999, with a 100% feedback rating... 'alphaoscartep'....

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by dcmsox2004; 01-09-2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: clarification
01-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
Hi, can you tell me if the zoom creeps on yours when it's either oritented up or downward?
I have another copy of this lens and I it does this so I wondered if they all did it(I was thinking of trying to get another).

Also, how does this version perform under 100mm?
Again... not to pull punches(I'm just looking to improve my own kit), si I wondered if your version does better than mny own in the 70-99mm ranges. My copy really wakes up at 100mm. However, I find it to be mediocre between 70-99mm

Sorry for the barrage of questions.
01-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #3

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
I'm interested in this lens for my K-x. Do you think the weight of this lens would be an issue with the small frame of the K-x?
01-10-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 21 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Hi, can you tell me if the zoom creeps on yours when it's either oritented up or downward?
I have another copy of this lens and I it does this so I wondered if they all did it(I was thinking of trying to get another).

Also, how does this version perform under 100mm?
Again... not to pull punches(I'm just looking to improve my own kit), si I wondered if your version does better than mny own in the 70-99mm ranges. My copy really wakes up at 100mm. However, I find it to be mediocre between 70-99mm

Sorry for the barrage of questions.
no problem... to be honest... i've not really used this much... as you know, they don't make 'em like this anymore, it's a heavyweight! consequently, i can't address the issue of zoom creep.... but if i were to carry this brute around, i would, like my 35-105 f3.5 pentax, support it with one hand at all times...
as far as shooting with this, i've not played around with it enough to determine the so called sweet spot(s).. it seems that with most of my zooms, i tend to use them at the far end of their focal length, i.e., my 55-300mm pentax....
it's an impressively built lens, it's a shame it's not been used more by me...
regards, dave m

---------- Post added 01-10-2010 at 08:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TheEstablishment Quote
I'm interested in this lens for my K-x. Do you think the weight of this lens would be an issue with the small frame of the K-x?
good question... while i've not used this on my k-x, it is a heavy lens.
i did use my pentax smc a 35-105mm f3.5 vintage lens yesterday, and it too is heavy.. but when carrying this about, i cradle it with my left hand while shooting...
these older lenses are built like tanks, some have excellent optics, and honestly fun to use with today's pentax bodies.... there's no doubt that this lens weighs quite a bit more than the k-x body................ i guess it all depends on how comfortable someone would be with this setup, a combination of an older heavy lens, and this new body.. my impression, for me, no problem.. regards, dave m

01-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 67 (100%)
This line of lenses is somewhat equivalent to the modern 70-210 f2,8. More PF but encredible optics. I used the version 1 for a while, this one is even better for everything except closeups.
01-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
no problem... to be honest... i've not really used this much... as you know, they don't make 'em like this anymore, it's a heavyweight! consequently, i can't address the issue of zoom creep.... but if i were to carry this brute around, i would, like my 35-105 f3.5 pentax, support it with one hand at all times...
Hi, thanks very much for the response.
On my lens(current one) if I take the lens in my hand and angle it(pitch wise) either up or down, the zoom will begin to move. Which is a real problem for me as I'd prefer to set up a focal range on the lens and walk around with it type of things. Can you confirm that yours does or doesn't do this as well?

I hope I'm not asking to much, but since you don't have a return policy I'd really need to know before making a commitment. I would be devastated if I purchased this lens and found that it was identical to the one I'm using now
01-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #7

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
Thanks for the answer, it sounds like it would work for what I need it for.

I did a bit more reading on it this morning, and I noticed this post:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/872703-post8.html

I take it that the version you have is different, and it fits the K-x without modification?

Assuming it fits with no issues, and if JohnBee does not want it, I would be willing to take it off you hands.

Thanks

Last edited by TheEstablishment; 01-10-2010 at 12:47 PM.
01-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 21 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Hi, thanks very much for the response.
On my lens(current one) if I take the lens in my hand and angle it(pitch wise) either up or down, the zoom will begin to move. Which is a real problem for me as I'd prefer to set up a focal range on the lens and walk around with it type of things. Can you confirm that yours does or doesn't do this as well?

I hope I'm not asking to much, but since you don't have a return policy I'd really need to know before making a commitment. I would be devastated if I purchased this lens and found that it was identical to the one I'm using now
no problem... the lens will, because there is no lock, move downward... it is well damped, moves velvety smooth, but will travel, as gravity will take control... but from everything i've read about this lens, it's supposed to...
Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 Macro Zoom Lenses - Mark Roberts Photography
hope this helps.... dave m

---------- Post added 01-10-2010 at 03:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TheEstablishment Quote
Thanks for the answer, it sounds like it would work for what I need it for.

I did a bit more reading on it this morning, and I noticed this post:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/872703-post8.html

I take it that the version you have is different, and it fits the K-x without modification?

Assuming it fits with no issues, and if JohnBee does not want it, I would be willing to take it off you hands.

Thanks
here's a great post regarding this lens (and similar models)... this is the komine brand.... this mounts without any issues.... check the flickr link i attached early on this this post... you'll see actual pics taken with this lens, as well as the lens itself... i took it on and off my new k-x without any problem whatsover...
Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 Macro Zoom Lenses - Mark Roberts Photography
hopes this helps...... thanks for the interest, dave m.
pm me if interested...
01-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Okay thanks again for the info.
Given what I've read, I guess they would be the same in terms of zoom creep.
Which isn't to say it's a bad lens, I haven't had time to use it outside yet, though I do find that aspect of the lens a little unfortunate.

Given this information, I guess I'll pass on trying to fnd a replacement at this time.
Thanks again for all your help with this.