Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 101 (100%)
[SOLD] Bausch & Lomb "Criterion 4000" 1200mm f/12 Mirror Lens + Hard Case

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Bausch & Lomb "Criterion 4000" 1200mm f/12 Mirror Lens + Original Hard Case, T-Mount

Asking Price
$130

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Item Description
I'm now selling a 1200mm Bausch & Lomb catadioptric lens that I picked up to see if I needed the extra reach over my other mirror lens. Turns out that I don't even have anything that is far away enough for this lens But in the right hands, in the right situations, it would be an amazing lens. I tested the resolution and it's very good for the reach it gives. I don't have any samples though, because all I was able to take pictures of were tiles on the sides of houses If you have the need for 1200mm though, this is an excellent way to get there without breaking the bank.

The lens is T-mount and comes with the original cushioned and emblazoned hard plastic case. It has the extension tube for use with T-mount, and the original front cap, and a rear cap that I don't know is original or not (looks like the top to a film canister). I believe the lens can be used as a spotting scope without the extension tube, but there's no included adapter to use it as such. The lens is in excellent condition overall, with just some light dust on the front. I don't see any scratches, and there definitely isn't any fungus/haze/mould or anything else like that. Here are some pictures of what you'll get:

I'd really like to ship the lens and case together, and you should have them together to protect the lens. But if you really just want the lens/caps/tube, and not the case, you can subtract $10 from shipping charges (including international ones). There is no K-mount adapter for the T-mount. You will need to use your own m42 or T-mount adapter. I have an extra T-mount adapter that I use that I can include for an extra $9, though. If you have any questions, let me know here or by PM. Thanks a lot!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Item Location
United States

Shipping Charge
$15 USA, $35 Canada, $50 Worldwide

Shipping Services
USPS only; No Int'l Carrier Fees

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Returns gladly accepted if notified in 24 hours of receipt and no shipping damage has occurred. Items will be insured during transit.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by wallyb; 02-01-2010 at 07:45 PM.
01-28-2010, 02:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
There are three versions of this lens that I've read about.
Can you tell me which one this is?

Also why were you not able to take telephoto pictures with this lens?
01-28-2010, 03:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
There are three versions of this lens that I've read about.
Can you tell me which one this is?

Also why were you not able to take telephoto pictures with this lens?
Three versions? News to me! Let me know what they are and I'll try to help you with what this is.

And my "inability" to take pictures is simply due to my lack of interesting subjects at 1200mm. It's just my lack of skill. Sorry if it seemed like there is something wrong with the lens -- there's not, it's great, I just am not able to use it to its full potential.
01-28-2010, 03:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I've found this(without looking): Excelsis Ratings/Reviews - Bausch & Lomb 4000

01-28-2010, 05:23 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
Wally: In the link he provided there is a part about the 3 different lenses in this series. However, I don't think is applicable to your sale as they are the 4000, 6000 abd 8000. Yours is obviously the 4000.

JohnBee: You are encouraged to send a PM to the seller with questions and comments if you are interested in purchasing the lens. If not, these posts tend to clutter up the thread.
01-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Wally: In the link he provided there is a part about the 3 different lenses in this series. However, I don't think is applicable to your sale as they are the 4000, 6000 abd 8000. Yours is obviously the 4000.

JohnBee: You are encouraged to send a PM to the seller with questions and comments if you are interested in purchasing the lens. If not, these posts tend to clutter up the thread.
I would gladly use PM for questions, however... as you may have noticed, often times other members often chime in with helpful information which really helps things along.
The alternative(with PM), would be to spawn a separate thread which really doesn't seem very practical imo.

On the issue of applicable comments, the reference clearly shows the same model that's being offered here.
Though I too saw other references, I'm almost 90% sure the initial post was intended for the Bausch & Lomb 4000
QuoteQuote:
there are a few versions of these and this opens the opportunity to come closer to good optics.
the earlier ones have a gold band around the top of the tube assembly.
I'm not trying to stir the pot here but I thought it was worth putting that out there to help illustrate why I was asking.

As for using the PM, I was not able to find any concise guidelines as to when or how the comment sections under the marketplace should be used(if not for questions). Though I would be more than happy to view or revise any information I may have missed to that effect along the way.

JB

Last edited by JohnBee; 01-28-2010 at 08:13 AM.
01-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #7

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
I'm also willing to see pictures taken with the lens. I don't care if they are uninteresting I just want to see the image quality.
01-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #8

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
There is another version that I have, that is set up as a telescope, with eyepieces, and a motor drive to keep time with the earths rotation. Yours seems to be set up as a lens only instead of having the right angle eye piece along with a small scope on top of the lens for easier orientation when looking at stars.

I believe optically the versions of the 4000 are the same.

Tom

01-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
JohnBee, I'm still not sure what question you're asking? If you're asking about three versions of this lens, 4000, 6000, and 8000, obviously mine is 4000. I don't see any other question in what you're writing...

To everyone else, I will try to get a sample picture today.

---------- Post added 01-28-2010 at 11:36 AM ----------

Here are some sample images. There is slight camera shake present in all these pictures, because I only have a small portable tripod for stabilization. Anyone with a half-decent tripod will get even better results.

You can see there is good resolution for a 1200mm mirror lens, and smooth bokeh compared to the normal "wall of donuts" effect you get with most mirror lenses. These were all shot on my K-x at ISO 400 (also a factor in shake, but it was better than noisy pictures -- it's a very overcast day).
01-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
JohnBee, I'm still not sure what question you're asking? If you're asking about three versions of this lens, 4000, 6000, and 8000, obviously mine is 4000. I don't see any other question in what you're writing...
Hi wallyB,
I actually found the answer to my question in the link I posted(it's the one with the gold band on it )

Oh and thanks for the images(your very kind to post them), they are most helpful.
01-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Hi wallyB,
I actually found the answer to my question in the link I posted(it's the one with the gold band on it )

Oh and thanks for the images(your very kind to post them), they are most helpful.
Not a problem! Glad everything is sorted out
02-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Price down to $130 plus shipping for this super-long-reaching lens!
02-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #13
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Hello how much for shipping to Ireland ?
02-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Hello how much for shipping to Ireland ?
Shipping anywhere in the world other than Canada and USA for the lens + case is $50 for fully insured 7-12 day delivery. If you want just the lens and not the case, it's $40. Thanks!!
02-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sold and getting shipped, thanks tons to the buyer!!