Asking Price
$860

add 3% to total for paypal
OR
none if personal paypal payment funded through bank

Shipping Destinations
United States

Item Description
For sale is an early production 31mm Limited in black with original rose color leather pouch. These are pretty rare. Excellent condition with few signs of use. Everything functions exactly as it should. There is a spec of dust inside that is somewhat pronounced. It's difficult to tell from the picture, but the dust is actually up against an edge and out of the optical path. I'm only selling because I'm gathering funds for a three month photography vacation. Truly an outstanding lens and a pleasure to use. Please see my other ad for an early 43mm and buy both for a discount!

Please PM with any questions. Thank you.

Made in Japan.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Item Location
Dallas, TX

Shipping Charge
$20 to USA
Priority Mail Insured to $900

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Item is described accurately. Returns only authorized if misrepresented.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

Last edited by QuixoticTonic; 01-31-2010 at 06:02 PM.
01-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 17 (100%)
No go for us Aussies?
01-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #3

Feedback Score: 14 (100%)
PM sent with interest.
01-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #4

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
Original Poster
I honestly wish it were easier to send things international and accept paypal. The problems are a few fold. Maybe you or someone else can make a suggestion.

1) Paypal charges a higher rate for international payments (minor)
2) Paypal HEAVILY sides with buyers for any disputes UNLESS I ship it a method that requires signature confirmation, fully insured and is trackable the entire way. This service is around $75 last I checked. Maybe even more for an expensive item. I wouldn't expect a dispute, but it is a risk. A dishonest buyer could say it was not received or make some other claim, and I'd be totally out of luck. Paypal does this because credit card companies have the ability to reverse their funds to paypal, and they just pass it along to me if I can't provide rock solid proof.
3) I don't like to take the risk of marking a package a gift (not that you asked). I figure once all the other fees for expensive shipping, higher paypal rate, and then import fees are paid, that international buyers won't find it so attractive anymore.

Like I said, I'm open to suggestions or if you're interested for a higher rate. I would accept Western Union, but then the risk is just transfered to the other party.

Best,

Chris

01-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 101 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by QuixoticTonic Quote
2) Paypal HEAVILY sides with buyers for any disputes UNLESS I ship it a method that requires signature confirmation, fully insured and is trackable the entire way. This service is around $75 last I checked. Maybe even more for an expensive item. I wouldn't expect a dispute, but it is a risk. A dishonest buyer could say it was not received or make some other claim, and I'd be totally out of luck. Paypal does this because credit card companies have the ability to reverse their funds to paypal, and they just pass it along to me if I can't provide rock solid proof.
Actually, that's not true. You only need to provide a tracking number that is traceable online and shows the destination zip/area code, in case of a dispute. No signature required. Furthermore, USPS Priority Mail International offers signature confirmation upon delivery, and full online tracking including destination zip code. This is available for about $35 and up depending on weight.

3) I don't like to take the risk of marking a package a gift (not that you asked). I figure once all the other fees for expensive shipping, higher paypal rate, and then import fees are paid, that international buyers won't find it so attractive anymore.
Marking an item as a gift on customs papers when money was exchanged is a federal crime in the United States, punishable by fines or jail time. So I would hope you wouldn't worry about this in the first place. Just about all the international buyers I deal with are fine with and understand that, and I still get my items sold, all around the world.
01-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #6

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Actually, that's not true. You only need to provide a tracking number that is traceable online and shows the destination zip/area code, in case of a dispute. No signature required. Furthermore, USPS Priority Mail International offers signature confirmation upon delivery, and full online tracking including destination zip code. This is available for about $35 and up depending on weight.
I spent a long time on the phone with Paypal once over this matter and the rep gave me some different information. Over a certain amount I'm certain a signature is required, even in the US. I don't see it as an option on the USPS site for Priority International. Further, the rep made a big deal about the package needing to traceable the entire way. Maybe he was trying to scare me away from it, but I specifically asked about delivery confirmation and he said it was not sufficient.

Trust me, I'd love to sell abroad so I'm looking to help rather than deny. I just need to be certain of the stipulations.

Chris
01-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 46 (100%)
I spent a long time on the phone with Paypal once over this matter and the rep gave me some different information. Over a certain amount I'm certain a signature is required, even in the US. I don't see it as an option on the USPS site for Priority International. Further, the rep made a big deal about the package needing to traceable the entire way. Maybe he was trying to scare me away from it, but I specifically asked about delivery confirmation and he said it was not sufficient.

Trust me, I'd love to sell abroad so I'm looking to help rather than deny. I just need to be certain of the stipulations.

Chris
Every thing is separate with the postal service. You have to purchase the signature confirmation request separately. You can do it return receipt where you print your name and address on a card that gets mailed back to you or a simple signature confirmation. You can also get delivery confirmation (which I find useless) as well. On the tracking note, I recently learned that the customs tag numbers are trackable. They will at least show progress as I found out when I mailed my Bigma to Canada a couple weeks ago.

Within the USA, anything that goes insured usually requires a signature for delivery.

01-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 101 (100%)

Chris
Yes, but I've had international disputes and all I've needed to prove was delivery confirmation. PayPal reps are designed to make you feel better about giving them your money and using their company's services, not to give correct facts. PayPal reps often give me blatantly wrong information. Why not just read the website?

You're definitely missing out on sales by not using USPS PMI.
01-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #9

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
< $250, signature confirmation is not required
> $250, signature confirmation is required.

Chris
01-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 67 (100%)
USPS Priority Mail does not allow signature required overseas. The only method of tracking is from the insurance Customs Declaration and Dispatch Note and that gives limited information. It does show delivery conformation.

I just shipped a lens to Australia this method with value of $625, weight 5.40lbs and it was $52.00. ( about $20.00 more than I quoted for shipping ) Expidited Shipping is far more expensive but it does allow better tracking.
Funny thing, I sent another lens to the same area at the same time First Class and it was delivered 2 days ago. The one shipped Priority Mail has yet to arrive.

I prefer not to ship overseas but I will if the buyer has some sort of positive feedback.
I have yet to have a dispute but I think if I did that would be the end of my overseas shipping this method.

Last edited by OrenMc; 01-31-2010 at 02:13 PM.
01-31-2010, 12:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 17 (100%)
Ooooppppsss sorry QT. Seems I've opened a can of something squirmy here mate.

It's cool if it's a local sale on this item....though DON"T let that be a lesson to the rest of you!
01-31-2010, 12:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 34 (100%)
international shipping

I did ship 4 itesm to australia and two items to canada. fortunately, i have not had any problem so far. but it is a risk one has to contemplate. it is not easy or cheap to add a tracking that is acceptable to paypal.
01-31-2010, 12:46 AM   #13

Feedback Score: 14 (100%)
I'm from Canada. Last time I bought a lens from a seller from US. He sent the package via USPS Priority with insurance, tracking, signature confirmation, the whole nine yards, and it cost me $30US for a 2 lbs package. I guess it comes down to whether you can trust the other side to honor the deal.

Regards,
Peter
01-31-2010, 04:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
I don't want to, but I would interject some help(?) here. Shipping international is not as difiicult as once upon a time.
  • First as a NON-EBAY transaction the only thing that PP requires is proof of delivery. And for all international parcels you are going to have to sign for an item due to the value when you pay the duty. Though some countries do NOT charge duty if you call the lens a USED Camera lens {insert name/etc here}". The key is the use of the word USED. Which, in this case it is, so it will either be duty free or will have that duty greatly reduced. but this will vary by country.
  • Now, as to expense...even with this year's current price increases USPS International Express Mail (called EMS by many folks) is an EXCELLENT deal. As an example I ran a fast check for my price to ship to OZ for a 31mm with insurance of your asking price it comes to $39.33 (that includes USPS Insurance - I assumed a 2lb weight. If it is 3lbs it will cost $44.49) for delivery in 3-5 days. Think about that, it's only 3-5 days and under $50 to send a $900 lens halfway around the globe or about 12,000mi...the price for PM is only slightly less, maybe $8 less so it makes zero sense to even offer it in this case. Oh, I also did not include any cost of packing materials as I never do because I consider those expenses when I negotiate the actual price with a buyer or when I indicate international shipping when listing items on eBay. But I buy boxes in bulk. OH, NEVER buy your boxes at a UPS Store, highest prices anywhere...Walmart as fair prices for on-off kinda deals. Otherwise a vitamin shop or even Starbucks usually have nice smaller boxes they will give you if ya ask nice. I haven't scrounged boxes in ages but still remember it can be a PITA so if I have to spend $3 on a box in a pinch, so be it...but remember also, you would be buying those things even if shipping in the US.
  • An added bonus for international shipping now is that you can use ANY of the free boxes PM and Express Mail supplies from the USPS to ship internationally, which is very nice!!
  • As for the PP International fee, well that is 1%...or in the case of a near $800 sale, $8...if that $8 matters to either party in the transaction, neither should be even doing business in this fashion...
  • Now, very, with PP it is not possible to send funds free of charge. The paying party, can send PERSONAL FUNDS not a regular payment...if paid as if you are just sending cash, and funded from an existing PP balance or a checking/savings account it will cost neither party anything, well, maybe the 1% fee, but that would even be charged by an bank, and even then your bank would likely charge MORE. Now, both parties must trust each other for this sort of PERSONAL FUNDS option. So, knowing this PayPal, under the same Send Personal Funds tab, has an option where the paying/sending party can enter the amount of the fees they are going to pay which can be the normal PP percentage OR a specific amount. As I recall it might even allow for each party to pay a percentage of the transaction fee.

All-in-all shipping international is as easy and shipping anywhere, except for a couple countries, like Italy and France where their Postal Service is, well, just different...hehehehe...but stuff still gets there...heck, I have shipped to Reunion Island (a small beautiful island just off near Madagascar for the geographically challenged like myself) with perfect service...and even shipped to Nova Scotia and Azores with nary a problem and got to know some wonderful people in the process.

Postal service to OZ is superb via USPS. Their scanning, etc, is near as good as the BEST postal service I have found on the globe and that is Japan where I an ship from here in SoCal and have the parcel DELIVERED in 3-days, usually 2-days via EMS.

There are a lot of misconceptions, especially when shipping is not something ya do all the time. But all of this can be done, usually including buy insurance, online at the USPS site. In fact when you do it online I believe you will get somewhere near a 7% discount on the postage. Then just print out the forms, sign them, be sure to indicate what is to be done with the parcel if undeliverable or you might never see it if there is an address issue. Also, GET A PHONE NUMBER for the recipient so their postal system can call them is there are issues. Having their email on the form can help as well.

But as someone who ships 100's of international parcels at least this expensive every year, it really is not as bad as you thinks. And PP's Buyer protection for NON-EBAY sales is different. I always prefer to have a signature...ohh, last, every international parcel has online tracking and it's called the Customs ID/Number...that is how one tracks the international parcel, even some 1st Class parcels can be tracked, but not insured.

My suggestion is to offer EMS and if the buyer feels it's too much, then no harm done...also you can get a shipping estimate at the USPS site as well...so you can check for yourself. And remember for international, save Canada, it's the same price anywhere in the country. The USPS has a special deal with Canookia to help make it easier to cross ship.

It is not anywhere near as worrisome as once upon a time...and I honestly do not blame anyone for concern, that is only prudent. But consider this, shipping in the US is not safer in terms of SNAD claims via PP. Only Buyer Protection terms are much different outside of eBay. And NEVER EVER accept the word of a PP help line, call at least 3x about the same thing, you know just like the IRS... But each answer will be different, and often the person you speak with will not understand the question...in this case ask about buyer protection for non-ebay private party sales. That should get the best answer than assuming the help line people will understand it is a non-ebay sale. Only a few words but they change the way the policy applies...

How much better is it these days? I ship very spendy items to Russia Federation and Ukraine all the time with no worry at all...only Italy really concerns me because, as I mentioned, their postal service is just, ummm, unique...but the are getting better!! hehehehe...but the one country I am actually considering no longer shipping to is Canada because of the internal conflict Canadians have with Canada Post. But I still do, even though there have been several instances where their own Postal Service denied a given address even exists, but each eventually got worked out, only I take the hit on delivery time...sigh, nothing is perfect.

Very sorry to have written this much but felt it might help a few people...and I am NOT saying just ship there because that is up to your own comfort level...it is just that the USPS has improved by amazing leaps and bounds over the past decade. Even Priority Mail is getting closer to finally becoming a tracking number in that they now require the local post office/hub to scan all PM items before the carrier gets them and then they are scanned at the local PO before being put out for delivery. And the carrier cannot claim they never received the item and keep them for themselves...which actually was happening a LOT more than I would have thought.

So to any of the mods if this does not belong, please do remove it, but I am simply trying to help the marketplace out a bit as the only other option would be an article, but that would not be as instance specific....and shipping is almost always very individual.

Last edited by brecklundin; 01-31-2010 at 05:06 AM.
01-31-2010, 05:32 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 46 (100%)
I think the mods ought to strip this thread out for QT. If the man doesn't want to screw with international shipping that's really all that needs to be said. He doesn't need to justify it to anyone.