PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Asahi Pentax Spotmeter V

Asking Price
$125

Item Location
Aurora, CO USA

Item Description

I think this is the classic version of a classic spotmeter. Older versions of this meter work well, but rely on mercury battery technology and must be adapted for accuracy. Newer versions are digital but expensive. This one uses the common 76/357/LR44 silver oxide battery, the same used by many Pentax MF film cameras. It uses an analog meter to read exposure value (Ev) directly, and has a calculator dial to compute a combination of ISO, aperture and shutter speed to expose that spot correctly. The meter has a 21º field of view viewfinder and meters a 1º-wide spot. It has a button which lights the lower part of the scale so you can read it in dim light without altering the meter reading. Another button tests the battery. The eyepiece is adjustable but the spec sheet doesn't say its diopter range. The meter measures from Ev 1 to 19. Construction is extremely solid; it would make a good alternate weapon if you don't have an SF1.

I got this to see how my split prism screen affected the camera's spot metering. It's also a great learning tool to learn metering in general. I also use the Ev calculator a lot. The difference between this and the camera's meter is that the camera's field of view is affected by the lens you use.

The meter is working perfectly and agrees with my camera meter readings. It has one cosmetic issue, the filter ring was dented. I think this is 46mm in diameter, and I don't have any filters that size. I made it look a little better than the photo shows, but with no filter to check it, I can't say it's fixed, just better looking. The meter comes with a nifty plastic cap, I was told from a rifle scope. It slips over the lens opening (covers the dent too) and has a hinged popup cover. The batteries are about a year old and still test OK, but at the bottom of the OK range. Weight is about a pound. Soft case and metal cap are also included.

Full-size versions are in this album, half-size here:

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
$9 CONUS, free AK or HI, ask int'l

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
For worldwide shipping, I can use First Class International for a low price or Priority Mail International for faster service and better tracking.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

02-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 104 (98%)
PM sent

PM sent. PM sent. PM sent!