Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 149 (100%)
[SOLD] [Worldwide] Pentax SMC K 28/2 28mm F2 Rare Collector's Item, Like New In Box

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Pentax SMC K 28/2 28mm F2 Rare Collector's Item, Like New In Box

Asking Price
$650USD

Item Location
Singapore

Item Description
Selling one of my collections to buy something else. Bought the lens from a local shop as new old stock. Yes, it's brand new one I bought it, and the lens is almost as old as I am Only played it a few times, it's been stayed in dry cabinet most time.

Lens looks like new, w/ no sign of use, yes, I mean every part of the lens looks mint:glass and barrel. The hard case looks pretty old on the outside, but inside is very new. The retail box looks old too, but still in excellent shape w/ no tear or crack. There are some tiny dust inside the lens which shouldn't affect picture quality, no fungus/scratch on the glass that I can see, aperture blades are dry and clean. Aperture and focusing rings work like new. Of course it comes w/ original matching front and rear caps.

This is a very rare lens, and it's even rare to get one copy as new as this one. This is the early K version w/ 9 elements in 8 group, features some floating elements, not the later M or A version. Selling it to get ready for the big thing which you all know

You can find the specs and some reviews of this lens here:

Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 28mm F2

I really like Phil(gofour3)'s comment about this lens. Hope he doesn't mind I copy it over:

QuoteQuote:
The K28/2 came out of a joint early 1970’s collaboration with Carl Zeiss of Germany. This collaboration also produced the ultra wide K15/3.5 lens. Pentax finally released their version of the 28/2 in 1976, a year after the initial K series releases. The K28/2 features a floating element design that was a first for Pentax, the only MF Pentax lens to feature it. (A prototype M35/1.4 also had a floating element design) The K28/2 was only in production for part of six years (1976-81) and then the floating element optical design was scrapped. The totally different M28/2 then A28/2 lenses replaced it. Two variants of the K series lens exist, the “SMC PENTAX 1:2/28” (1976-77) and the “smc PENTAX 1:2 28mm” (1977-81).

The K28/2s lens design and the fast f2 ended up creating a heavy expensive lens for its time. The K28/2 was the size of a medium telephoto lens and cost almost $200.00 more than the K50/1.2 & K24/2.8 when it was new. (January 1978 prices were $287.50 for the K50/1.2 & K24/2.8 and $471.00 for the K28/2) This would also explain its current rarity, as not many of these lenses would have been sold at that high price.

The 28mm focal length on a film camera, is my favorite for a wide angle lens. I have owned the K28/3.5 since it came out in 1975 and loved its sharpness. Its only knock is that it’s on the slow side. I had been searching for a faster wide angle that was equally sharp. I have the K35/2 and it’s fast but not as sharp as the K28/3.5, the K30/2.8 & K24/2.8 are sharp, but one stop slower than the K35/2.

The K28/2 fits the bill perfectly; it’s fast and is perfect for night/indoor shooting. I mostly shoot 100ASA slide film, so one stop does make a difference, especially at night. In the floating element lens design, some of the lens elements actually move when you focus for close-ups. This design creates much sharper images and eliminates aberrations. At close focus range the K28/2 can create a 3D image I have only found with one other lens, the K50/1.2. This is one sharp lens when used for close-ups, amazing!!

The K28/2 has a 52mm filter diameter and shares a common plastic clip-on lens hood with the other K series 28 to 35mm wide angle lenses. It’s also built very well and has a nice “meaty” feel to it.

The K28/2 is one of those rare unique Pentax lenses that have a collector’s aura about them. This is unfortunate as most people will never know how good it really is. How good is it? The best K series wide angle by far and probably the best MF Pentax wide angle lens ever made.

Here are some photos of the actual lens:

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Like New

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
$25usd

Shipping Services
Registered Airmail. If shipped by EMS, it'd cost $50USD

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Payment by paypal. No extra paypal cost. Shipping cost doesn't include insurance. Insurance is $15usd extra, that's the minimum our post office asking for nowadays

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by frank; 02-19-2010 at 10:08 AM.
02-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 51 (100%)
PM sent...
02-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 38 (100%)
Not at all, good luck with the sale. This is one amazing and rare lens!

Phil.

PS If you or the eventual buyer wants to part with the hard lens case separately, I’ll take it!! (I’m missing one for mine.)

PM me for an offer.
02-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 149 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Not at all, good luck with the sale. This is one amazing and rare lens!

Phil.

PS If you or the eventual buyer wants to part with the hard lens case separately, I’ll take it!! (I’m missing one for mine.)

PM me for an offer.
Thanks Phil

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
PM sent...
Thanks Steve

Now lens has been sold.

Cheers!