Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2007, 06:49 AM   #1

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
[SOLD] K100d

Selling a brand new K100D body, bought to get double rebate. 395 shipped to your door, only 20 shots taken to test it. Paypal fee 3%

e-mail me or PM. USA only please.

Tim

07-14-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
What is this obsession with "USA Only"? Who cares where you sell it so long as the buyer fronts the shipping charges?
07-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 19 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
What is this obsession with "USA Only"? Who cares where you sell it so long as the buyer fronts the shipping charges?
I'm not the seller in this auction, but I have sold a number of items both here and on eBay. I can think of at least 2 reasons why it is much easier for a U.S. seller to sell to a U.S. buyer:

1. When I ship to the U.S., I just print the label from PayPal, tape it on the box, and drop it off at the local mailbox/shipping store shipping counter that is on my daily route. Takes less than 2 minutes with virtually no gasoline cost.

When I ship outside the U.S., I have to print 4-5 copies of the "customs declaration" label, and then take the whole mess to the Post Office (which is about 10 minutes out of my way). I then stand in line until I get the next clerk. Then I sign each copy. Then the clerk stamps each copy, enters the data into the P.O. computer, finds the proper official plastic, self-adhesive envelope for the papers, etc. Then he asks why there are 4 copies instead of 5, to which I answer that I don't know; it's just what was printed out from PayPal shipping. He then has to go and find the supervisor and discuss whether 4 or 5 copies of the declaration are required to ship to Canada. He then returns, checks that PayPal paid the correct postage (it is wrong about 50% of the time), and I then pay the extra postage. Then I have to drive back home or to the office. Elapsed time is about 30 minutes, plus the extra cost of the gas. I charge a $10 "service fee" for this inconvenience, but the real cost in my time is probably more like $50. (I'm self-employed and I charge my clients $200/hr, but I wouldn't charge this much for an errand to the post office.)

2. The U.S. is turning into more of a police state in the past few years. The Gestapo, umm, I mean the Department of Homeland Security, FBI, CIA, and NSA are constantly watching everything, especially international communications and commerce. I can envision being hauled into the office of some government agency and questioned:

"Sir, you have shipped 2 sophisticated cameras and 5 high powered lenses overseas in the last year. Some of your "customers" have foreign names and in live in suspected terrorist havens like France and the U.K. Isn't it true that you are supplying surveillance equipment to Al Qaeda?"

"Officer, actually I'm just a camera hobbyist and have this compulsion to buy and sell mass quantities of camera gear. In fact, the last 2 lenses were sold in anticipation of the new DA* zoom lenses that are coming out. Surely you've heard about the new ...."

Five years later you are still locked up at Guantanamo.

OK, maybe I got a little carried away with the second reason, but you get the idea. My apologies to the O.P. for the off-topic rant.

Last edited by GaryML; 07-14-2007 at 10:05 AM.
07-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #4

Feedback Score: 8 (100%)
Sorry to hear that.

What you are losing in this, is better prices due to a higher reseller rates here and very high euro vs. dollar exchance rate (we get 1.378 dollars per euro :-)

07-14-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
I was wondering that too. But its much safer for us to buy locally at least for larger purchases. I bought a Sigma 24-135 from Cameta (New York) last year for $99. Great price. When the aperture ring died (the lens became an FAJ type and I hate lenses that don't have the aperture ring option) I went to Gentec Intl. (At Warden and 14th Ave.), the sole Canadian distrubitor for Sigma Products, to inquire about my so called 1 year International Warranty.

Turns out they don't even accept it because in business speak, Sigma US/Cameta made profit off the lens and Gentec (here in Canada) would lose $$ for the cost of repair/parts. The guy told me had I gone to say Henrys, the canadian warrantly would typically be about 5 years for most lenses. The guy let me off though and said if I have the original bill of sale, I can go ahead with the repair and the invoice would be billed south of the border where the lens came from. I checked in with Cameta and the replies never came.

===============================================
The repairman I spoke to at Gentec told me that there's been large number of lenses coming in (to their service dept.) and usually from Cameta, BHphotovideo and Adorama. More so than sigma lenses bought from canadian retailers.
===============================================

I accepted it as a price paid for a $99 lens. It still works ok on "A" setting...but I can't use the aperture ring. For a relatively small purchase like this, it may not matter as much but if you are looking for a new digital camera body, I suggest you check Henrys, Downtown Camera, Aden Camera...even cameracanada.com. The local stores will bend and match prices so good luck on finding your best price on a K100D. Remember that you'll get the local warranty and if something does happen, you can get it checked out and serviced without breaking your wallet.

Oh becareful if you go to Downtown camera. They tend to be a bit more manipulative and will try to upsell on expensive accessories and stuff.
07-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
OK, maybe I got a little carried away with the second reason, but you get the idea. My apologies to the O.P. for the off-topic rant.
Valid point Gary. Security is getting rather stingy about cameras here too.
07-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
Because he wants to. When you sell something just put "anywhere but the US" and feel even.
07-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #8

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
I seem to remember Adam asking folks not to comment on items for sale unless they were involved in the purchase. You could have easily put this in as a separate forum thread or even used PM.

Besides, its the seller's item. He/she can put whatever restriction he wants on the sale. He doesn't have to explain to you or anyone else. If he only wants to sell to left handed blind people, he can. It's his item.

I'm not the seller but there are plenty of reasons not to sell abroad. You're not entitled to an explanation from the seller but I'll list some of the obstacles I see selling abroad.

1. Paypal Currency Exchange fees - this is an easy step to overlook. You list a US $ price and then a potential buyer gets nasty if you "change" the price on them to include the extra fees involved. If you forget to mention it you eat the fees yourself.
2. Custom forms are tedious and a pain.
3. USPS will not insure items over a certain dollar amount (I think $300) shipped to foreign countries.
4. USPS will not confirm delivery in foreign countries. This is critical as Paypal generally asks for delivery confirmation in trade disputes. No proof means you're out the item and the cash.
5. The alternatives to USPS - FedEx & UPS cost 2x - 3x more to ship to similar areas as USPS (Buyers aren't real happy about that). DHL is not trustworthy as they have left packages without signatures out in public or in the rain.
6. Figuring out the final price after shipping and currency exchange is difficult for some folks. I'm comfortable with it, but others hate doing the math to determine the right price.
7. In my experience it takes at least an hour more work to sell to a foreign country than within the US when you factor in waiting in lines, forms & currency exchange. Plus the communication delay usually means waiting longer to complete the salel.

Anyways, those are more than enough reasons to look for a US buyer.

07-14-2007, 08:16 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 55 (98%)
shipping overseas can be a pain...but some of the reasons mentioned here just aren't true....at least at the 5 post offices that I take packages to.

I've sold several items overseas since the new USPS changes went into effect in May. Now, the customs forms print with the 'stamp' pre-printed so there's no need to wait in line to have a clerk stamp them. the last 5 or so packages I've sent overseas I just put the customs forms in the envelope and stick it to the package(I keep some of these on hand)...and I can just drop the package at my post office just like a domestic package if it doesn't need insurance over $500. You can even now use the FREE USPS priority mail shipping boxes to ship Global Priority Mail...in fact USPS is now encouraging it.

You can insure international packages up to $5000 by purchasing insurance at the post office (this cannot currently be done online for items over $500)

That being said...the problems I have shipping overseas are different...and they deal with things that happen/can happen AFTER the package is shipped. For one...you're open to chargebacks because Paypal will not offer their chargeback protection without a confirmed address...which the only non-US countries I'm aware of that Paypal wil 'confirm' an address for is the UK and Canada. For two...I've had too many overseas buyers ask me to try and get around the VAT (or whatever their countries customs fees are called)...they want to mark the item as a gift valued at $20....well guess what, I can't likely insure a package for $500 if I'm claiming it's value at $20. My other gripe is it just takes too damn long. It never fails...I ship something overseas, 3 days later I get an email from the buyer asking where his package is...USPS is ALWAYS slower than their quoted time.

Anyway...just my $.02
07-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #10
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
[QUOTE=alinla;76413]
Besides, its the seller's item. He/she can put whatever restriction he wants on the sale. He doesn't have to explain to you or anyone else. If he only wants to sell to left handed blind people, he can. It's his item.

Not so fast - what if he decides he won't sell to blacks or Muslims or Jews?
07-14-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 55 (98%)
Oh...someone mentioned you can't confirm packages abroad...you certainly can...