Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Taking star trail pics

Can someone tell me how to identify which star is the one I need to point the camera at to get a circular star trail? I am going fishing this weekend and if it isn't cloudy I'd like to try and get some star trail pics...but I have never done it before.

05-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ecliptic and star rotation in the sky

It is the North Star... you can find it on the handle of the little dipper, follow the big dipper, the two stars on the cup draw a line to the small dipper, it is the brightest star in that part of the sky...
05-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now....would it be best to just set it at infinity focus and then just crop out anything that might not be in focus?
05-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

well I would use a trick called hyper focus if you want to keep something near to the camera in focus, such as a tree or a hill or what have you... depending on which lens you want to use and the distance to anything you want to keep in focus google for a DOF calculator for whatever lens you want and check what the hyper focal point is, write down one or two options and just ball park it in the field...

05-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
Now....would it be best to just set it at infinity focus and then just crop out anything that might not be in focus?
You'll probably find that with most objects in the sky, you are actually focused at Just before infinity. One would think the moon is at infinity focus but it's been my experience, it is not. Same with the stars in the sky. Just manual focus for the sharpest you can get and since you'll be using a relatively small aperture, the rest will fall in line.