Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #1

Crazy,possibly stupid idea for a Pentax EVIL camera

I saw this picture and it got me thinking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoshinori_kikuchi/3583850039/

Why couldn't they just take a point a shoot and adapt it to use C or CS mount lenses. It would seem to relatively simple and it wouldn't require any new technology. This camera would also be much smaller than any m4/3rd's camera out there. Pentax already makes lenses for these mounts. I know it popular to use C mounts on M4/3rds camera already because f their size advantage and the crazy speed available on them. Noktor make a 50mm f.95 that was originally built for the c mount.

NOKTOR - Ultra Fast Lenses - Home

The big advantages
1. Much smaller than competitors
2. Existing technology
3. A unique product.
4. probably much cheaper than the competitor

The Disadvantages
1. Inferior Image quality
2. Kinda weird
3. Probably would not support other lens type ( a big M4/3rd's advantage)

To me, the reason why m4/3rd is so interesting is that it give the maximum amount of flexibility at a minimum price. Anyway its just an idea.

Last edited by BLD367; 05-06-2010 at 09:37 PM.
05-07-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two cons

1) It's a screw-mount, isn't it?
2) C mount lenses are usually made for smaller sensors. For instance, this sensor from Pentax (a 12.5 mm f/1.4!) is for use with "1 inch CCDs". 1 inch sounds like pretty close to the 28 mm diagonal of an APS-C sensor, but it's easy to get fooled by the funny inch-numbering system of sensors. The real sensor diagonal of a 1-inch sensor is only 16 mm.
05-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is neither news, nor rumor. Moving to General Photography.