Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
do you always carry camera manuals

when you are out shooting do you have your manuals with you?

How about an I-POD or PDA?

If you have an IPOD touch or PDA you can get PDF file readers and have your manuals with you at all times.

I also have a calculation sheet for macro work with lens data plus extension tube info to calculate macro magnification ratios, and a sheet for flash calculation.

I will soon add the sheet I use for exposure as a function of aperture for all my lenses.

I find it useful to be able to carry all this in a small package, plus a few bird guides as well.

What used to take about 1 cubic foot of volume in paper now fits in something smaller than a wallet.

05-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #2

My camera manual is well-worn and completely dog-eared and highlighted due to the many times I have read it, but I still have it in the bag every time I go out and, maybe it's my 59 year old brain???--but I still have to consult the manual on occasion. But even if I do not, the comfort of knowing I can is worth the added weight and room.
05-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Cameras come with Manuals?

(couldn't resist)..

I have a PDF copy on my computer for quick search purposes. I doubt I could even see it on an iPod or PDA screen (which I don't own) so I try to know how the camera feature works before I leave the house.

05-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Only for the K1000.

05-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Only for the K1000.
Only for the Kodak Brownie and my pinhole camera.

Never kept a manual on me and still don't. Usually when I am shooting there is no time to read a manual. If I have a special project idea in mind when I go out that's not second nature I'll read that part of the manual or get online for opinions. But I never carry the manual.
05-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

When I got my first DSLR I read the manual cover to cover as I was going from a K1000 (film) to a K10D. And I was totally clueless on half of it. With the subsequent cameras I only refer to them when I'm stuck on something so no, I don't carry them around. If I get stuck on something while out shooting, I make a mental note and figure out a work-around, then go back and look it up when I get home.
05-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to keep it in my camera bag all the time but have bought too much lenses or other gear that get priority over the manual when deciding what to take with me. I never referred to it that much out in the field but I do like having it with me just in case - I think I've found a reason to buy a new bag.

05-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Directions are like recipes... Only for girls...

Ducking and weaving like only a man can...
05-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #9

I carry my manuals in pdf format on my iphone.
05-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a crapberry (not a crackberry because I haven't found it addictive). Anyway it's not real useful for viewing PDFs but I do keep a PDF of the manual on my USB flash drive that I carry everywhere - useful if I have my laptop with me or there's a computer handy but less useful if there isn't because I didn't come with a USB port.
05-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i keep my original manual at home in dry storage box along with the rest of my camera gear, and i have a pdf copy of it on my smart phone which reads pdf's, i rarely have to look at it tho.
05-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
interesting to see there are several others that have it on a smart-phone/pda/ipod/iphone

I put it on my ipod to have as a back up reference, but in reality what I wish I had was a technical manual that showed the range of adjustments, perfromance curves and lens performance of all my lenses.

I'm sure it will get less use than a field guide

For my PZ-1 it came with a custom function cheat sheet that went in my wallet. That was useful when you wanted to do things you rarely did, like back wind film part way through the roll with the leader out.
05-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't carry any manuals with me. I read through it when I got the camera and put it away.
05-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I read the manual thoroughly beforehand... then it's all in the head.
05-11-2010, 02:19 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
Must be old age, I like having it in the bag for emergencies. Every once in a while there is something that pops up that I like to check to make sure I have it right.
If I'm busy taking pictures, it also makes it a lot easier for people to answer their own questions about "What's a Pentax?".