Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone bring "E2" fluid or the "Digital Survival Kit" on a plane?

Wondering if anyone knows the recent TSA rules and\or International rules (between my layover point, the Netherlands <-> Tanzania specifically) regarding the E2 cleaning solution, in a 0.5 oz bottle. That is the little bottle found in the Photographic Solutions "Digital Survival Kit " (fyi for any unsure, we need to use the "Type 2" swabs and "E2" liquid on the K10 and K100).

Can one get away with either hand carry-on or checking that in your bag?

...funny, when I was visiting family in Hungary last summer, the British terror plot/incident hit. I had been given 13 bottles netting about 10 liters of home-made plum "moonshine" and other liquor/wine that I had to bring home; I melted wax on the cap, wrapped'm in multiple bags, wrapped it then within pant legs and other cloths. Got home no problem; nobody looked @ anything. I think I'm going to have more trouble with this 0.5oz bottle of methanol or whatever it is then the 10 liters of probably 100 proof liquor!

edit... p.s. Before you say it, I can't really ask the manufacturer... they don't know Here's their statement on their website:
QuoteQuote:
Here is the latest reply from TSA, dated 15 JUNE 2007 regarding flying with Eclipse or E2 liquid in carry-on. If you can understand whether either is specifically allowed or not allowed, please let me know. I cannot make that determination based on the info they provide....

07-31-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You may want to read the following document concerning recent EU rules....

https://www.osac.gov/Reports/report.cfm?contentID=57961

Their basic advice is to only carry liquids essential during the flight onboard the aircraft, with everything else checked-in with your normal baggage in the hold. That sounds logical to me.

By the way, I understand the UK currently has even tighter, temporary, restrictions against all liquids except medicines and baby foods you're willing to try yourself. They will actually ask you to taste the baby foods before allowing them on board.

stewart
07-31-2007, 06:20 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I flew from Montreal to Amsterdam and then to Edinburgh about a month and a half back and on all flights they inspected all my bags and any fluids had to go. EU is pretty tight and I went through about 4-5 security checks during my lay-over in Amsterdam (i had to take my camera and lenses out, take the caps off and show them everything). Liquid's you MIGHT be ok with, I'd say check in with an official at the airport when you get there and inquire if you can carry it with you, stow it or need to toss it. No liquids were allowed inside of Amsterdam airport unless you had a receipt to show you purchased it within the actual premises.

Hopefully you won't have any issues!