Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Flash control

It's been a few days since I asked a stupid question, so...

I want to get a flash, but like everything else there are so many choices. I don't know how I survived growing up without all these choices... I know, choices are a good thing, I'm just overwhelmed.

Anyway, can someone explain the difference in flash modes? I looked in the supplied k7 manual to get an idea of what the camera and other accessories are capable of, but just got a little more confused.

What is the difference in 'Master' and 'Controller'?

Does a slave flash fire when it sees another flash, or is it electronically controlled?

What flash should I get if I want to shoot portraits, maybe weddings, and maybe some creative stuff like trailing curtain shots (mostly kids at Disney)? What flashes work best as Master/Controller/Slave, and which ones of the ones you guys use are the best quality?

Thanks

Bill

05-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm no expert in flash photography but I'll take a stab at some of your questions.

Master and controller refers to wireless use:

Master: If you use an external flash wirelessly, the master is the main flash fired by the camera. It can be the camera's built in flash, or a flash attached to the hot shoe. The master flash thus helps illuminate the object, and it controls the other flash.

Controller: That's a flash which doesn't fire during exposure, but it fires just before the shot is taken setting the other flashes off. The built-in flash can be set as controller in which case it controls (!) the other (external) flash wirelessly, but it doesn't help illuminate the object.

Slave flash:

A Pentax flash has two slave modes. In one mode it fires when it "sees" another flash as you put it. That is for use with old film cameras or a non-Pentax flash as master.

In the other mode it is set by a series of pre-flash impulses form the controller. This mode is a dedicated Pentax mode. Some other brands (like Metz) are compatible with the Pentax dedicated flash mode.

What to recommend:

I hope someone else will chime in - I am no experienced flash photographer. However, if you are new to flash photography IMHO you should pick a flash that is fully compatible with the Pentax P-TTL system and wireless control.
05-25-2010, 03:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ole nailed the master and slave bit. I will add that for most wireless modes, you can also specify the "channel" so that your flash won't be triggered by another camera. I'll take a stab at some of the other...

Not to avoid answering your very direct question, but I think that most dedicated flashes (Pentax, Metz, Sigma, etc) would give you some degree of wireless capability, trailing curtain, etc. There are many different styles for flash use and for all of those situations that you listed, so it would be difficult to say "This is your answer ________." (check out Hot Shoe Diaries by Joe McNalley) built-in wireless mose works up to some distance, but beyond that, you will need to resort to radio triggers of some sort (see other posts and/or strobist). My experience has been that there aren't any wireless triggers that will carry a P-TTL signal. Sucks for us. I have the Metz 48 and once you learn the cryptic controls, the wireless works pretty well at an arms length (McNalley Pretzel Hold) or within a few feet. I haven't tried it at a greater distance. I don't shoot weddings, but that flash works well for what I need it for. Best of luck.