Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I didn't have anything to do one day, and there was a race at one of the local tracks. I was standing on the outside of one of the curves at the track. I was panning cars as they came around the curve in front of me.

After about 2hrs of panning the same 30+ cars, I decided to take a break and go get something to drink. I put my camera in my bag, and look up to see a car lose control entering the turn. He locked up the brakes, and with the tires smoking from trying to stop, it blasted right through the sand trap kicking sand everywhere. It then proceeded to flip on its side, and came crashing into the barrier directly in front of me. (driver walked away from it)

It's the things like this that I hope to catch when I go to the race tracks. Bumps, fender benders, fire coming out of the exhaust, engines exploding, roll overs, cars going off the track, cars lifting the back wheel going around a corner, or coming up on 2 wheels, and so on.... I don't wish any harm to the drivers, but it does make for interesting photos.

There were 3 other photographers standing off to my right. I was the only one that didn't get pictures of the crash and it happened 20 feet in front of me.

06-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think "almost" defines my photography to this point. I have a lot of shots I feel are "right there".

More specifically to this thread, I had a lot of "whoops!" moments. One time after spending an hour or so waiting around for some birds at a wetland I get a text from my wife that my daughter is sick and we need to take her to the doctor (me having out only car being a half hour away). I packup my gear and turn off the camera. On the walk back to the parking lot in the span of one minute I get suprised by one of the largest blue heron's i've ever seen, step in a puddle and get my feet soaking wet and cold (this was like february) and see a white pelican fly low and slow infront of me (they winter at this refuge but are still considered rare).
06-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GReat idea for a thread, should get some great stories. Here are a couple of mine:

Years ago, around 1990-1995 or so, living very close to Lake Sam Rayburn in East Texas, I carried my Pentax KX, K1000, ME or ME Super (whichever was in working condition at the time) on long walks by the lake. The 70-210 Vivitar was a great lens, but not quite enough to reach out there for most bird shots. Walking the woods road one day I spotted a rather large bird flying toward me very low. I thought it was a wild turkey at first, never suspecting it was actually a full grown Bald Eagle.

I stood there gawking, my SLR hung around my neck by the strap, and didn't have the presence of mind to get it to my eye RIGHT NOW...and the eagle lit on a tree limb about 30-40 feet away. Perfect shot, out in the open, great semi cloudy lighting, just the perfect chance, and close enough to get a spectacuilar shot...and my camera was hanging there not even in my hands...

I tried to ever so slowly raise it and get a shot - not a chance. My hands moved about 2 inches and the eagle flew away, not even giving me a good chance at a decent in-flight shot. I hadn't even touched the camera yet when the bird flew. Eagle eye...

On another occasion about 2 miles down the lake shore, I heard a hawk squeal and saw its shadow at the same time, looked up and two Red Tailed Hawks were circling above me, maybe 20 feet in the air. Where was my camera? About 2 1/2 miles away sitting on the kitchen table...That never happened again, the camera was and still is always either in my hands while walking or on the front seat while driving...and I still miss good shots, a couple very recently but I can't remember what or when...
06-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #19
Inactive Account

A couple of years ago my wife and I had been at an evening event at our church and as we were driving home, we went through a typical southern summer thunderstorm. We stopped at a local store and as I pulled around the building to park, I'm looking at a huge, bright rainbow and centered in it, off in the distance, was a huge black thunderhead with almost constant lightening in it. Of course my camera was about a mile away at home but the contrast of the rainbow and that evil looking thunderhead should have made a great photograph.

CW

06-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #20
Forum Member

I was at the local MX track, just set up at the top of a jump. I turn on the camera, go to change a few settings, and one of the guys sees me and pulls off a sick superman or something (can't remember exactly what it was) a SECOND before my camera is ready. And then it starts pouring - no chance to get the guy to repeat the trick.
06-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Years ago when I had my K-1000, I had gone to the beach. I grew up there and lived there, so didn't always take my camera with me. That day, there didn't seem to be any extra special light to the sky or interesting clouds building, so I left the camera home. After about 15 minutes of swimming, all of a sudden there was what seemed to be 100's of dolphins migrating right offshore. Big ones, babies, some with dorsal tips bitten off. All I could do was stand there in awe-then kick myself for leaving the camera at home that day. I could have probably zipped the 2 minutes home and gotten it, but it was so cool, I didn't want to miss the moment of actually seeing them.