Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you also shooting raw ONLY?

After opening a topic in K200D club about picture styles in JPG mode, I was amazed to find out that everyone (except me of course) is shooting RAW and processing it afterwards.

Isn't there any way to make jpg colors a little bit more alive?
In a case you can't view the club's topic without join, here is examples for my problems:

these pictures had been taken with K200D and A 50/1.7, as you can see the colors are pretty faded, so I asked what can I do.

Here is a raw with no changes:

And here is a jpg:

05-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I shoot raw only too. If you use ACR or LR, you can adjust the camera calibration settings.
05-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot JPEG and there is nothing to be surprised or ashamed: "I was amazed to find out that everyone (except me of course) is shooting RAW ".

I sometimes shoot RAW, but I prefer JPEG. O post-process with Pentax Digital Camera Utility (PDCU). Have you tried to play with PDCU, or other PP softwares? You can do some nice improvement even with JPEG files.

Let me add that I take a lot of action shots with Hi continuous shooting. For long Hi continous shooting sequences, RAW is a no-no. The buffer fills up so quickly that the camera stops. Instead, JPEG 6Mp that works well with a Class 10 card for long sequences.

Hope that the comment will help....
05-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like most people, I began shooting in JPG(many years ago), only to end-up shooting RAW only some time later. JPG has its convenience but RAW is the means from which we get as much control on our images as possible.

05-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm trying to avoid post-processing, so editing jpg is like raw for me.
What I'm looking for it tips for editing the picture style in the camera, so the jpg will go out good.

Because look, I can edit jpg in PP, but it takes time.

05-21-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I hardly ever shoot RAW. It just does not suit my shooting style.

In event photography I may come home with 500-1000 images & RAW does not interest me with this amount of images. Macro, yeah sure i'd switch to RAW.
05-21-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Slow computer at home--so JPEG for me.

05-21-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I only shoot RAW, because it gives me more PP options after the shoot.

Many shooters take pride in doing little or no PP, but I don't mind admitting that my settings aren't always optimal for the occasion. Accordingly, having much greater latitude in PP allows me to rescue shots that might otherwise have been binned.
05-21-2010, 04:23 AM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another RAW only shooter.

I believe in it as it suits me OK and I don't mind the post-processing work I need to put in the photos to bring out the best in them.

There's just that much more latitude for me to harness all the necessary detail to get optimal results, that I don't feel as comfortable 'compromising' by shooting JPEG. This may be irrational thinking so I'll just say it's a personal preference.

But I always perform post-processing on my 'keepers' AFTER the RAW conversion to JPEG.
05-21-2010, 04:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

With my K-7, I shoot only raw (since hard drive space is dirt cheap now) and because I want the freedom to work with my photos more than an already cooked jpeg.
With my other cameras, I shoot mainly jpeg, but sometimes raw with my LX3 as well.

Jason
05-21-2010, 04:32 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
But when you're going for a trip and take 300 pictures, do you really edit all of them?
I want that my camera will put out good enough pictures, if I have to edit every picture I take so what is the point?
05-21-2010, 04:49 AM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, there's something that must be emphasised here:
Very few great shots are made straight out of the camera.
ALL images out of camera in my opinion can be improved upon with post-processing.
So there is a LOT of point to the post-processing part of photography, but you'd need to appreciate its worth by looking at before and after results to justify investing the time into the process yourself.

I've been sold out since switching from JPEG only to RAW only shooting very early in my photographic journey...
05-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #13
Banned

I've recently switched to shooting with Raw + Jpeg after shooting raw for a long time. I've found that I think that for most situations the Jpeg is as good or better than I can do with raw and a decent bit of PP. That way I have good pictures out of the camera. If I need to do PP then I use the Raw as the starting point. Aperture makes that easy, I can just change the master from Jpeg to Raw any time I want to do major PP. I'll still do minor tweaks with the jpeg but if I've got to correct WB or do major work I'll start with the raw.
05-21-2010, 05:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0ri Quote
But when you're going for a trip and take 300 pictures, do you really edit all of them?
I want that my camera will put out good enough pictures, if I have to edit every picture I take so what is the point?
Ah, but there's the rub. I just import everything into Aperture, and export the ones that I want to keep. If the light and my settings are spot on, then the default RAW conversion does it for me.

In other words, shooting RAW doesn't require me to do PP -- it can be as simple as a single import/export operation.

Last edited by asw66; 05-21-2010 at 05:39 AM. Reason: P.S.
05-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Ah, but there's the rub. I just import everything into Aperture, and export the ones that I want to keep. If the light and my settings are spot on, then the default RAW conversion does it for me.

In other words, shooting RAW doesn't require me to do PP -- it can be as simple as a single import/export operation.
I was doing that myself but found that I like the Pentax jpegs better than the default raws that import into aperture. I've even imported with custom adjustments but they don't have the consistency of the in-camera jpegs. If I need the raws for more adjustment then I'll switch the master to raw.