Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2007, 01:19 AM   #1

Product Photography

Hello everyone I am new to the Pentax Forums so I hope I have posted this in the right place

I work in a warehouse that sells kitchen utensils to restrauants, clubs pubs and hotels. And I was showing some photos that I had taken and by chance our business manager saw them and he really liked the quality of my work and asked me if i liked to do some Product Photography for the company and I said yes.

So far I have worked out how i will go about it, but I am stuck on the file management side of things. What i like to do is connect my K10d to my laptop and shoot from the laptop and store the shots directly to the harddrive and be able to record our item # and other information against that image.

Is there any software like this available that is compatable with the k10D?

Cheers

Last edited by fudge1979; 08-03-2007 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Forgot to say cheers
08-03-2007, 03:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All over my head, but I wouldn't be surprised if Thumbs Plus fit the bill perfectly.

Cerious Software - The Home of ThumbsPlus!
08-03-2007, 05:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Mike Cash, Thanks for the reply. just had a look at Thumbs Plus program look pretty cool but i don't it allows me to connect my K10D and shoot straight to my laptop.

Thanks
08-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fudge1979 Quote
Hello everyone I am new to the Pentax Forums so I hope I have posted this in the right place

I work in a warehouse that sells kitchen utensils to restrauants, clubs pubs and hotels. And I was showing some photos that I had taken and by chance our business manager saw them and he really liked the quality of my work and asked me if i liked to do some Product Photography for the company and I said yes.

So far I have worked out how i will go about it, but I am stuck on the file management side of things. What i like to do is connect my K10d to my laptop and shoot from the laptop and store the shots directly to the harddrive and be able to record our item # and other information against that image.

Is there any software like this available that is compatable with the k10D?

Cheers
You need Pentax's own software, Pentax Remote Assistant, it's free and you can download it from here:

Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates

That should do exactly what you want.

08-04-2007, 06:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
You need Pentax's own software, Pentax Remote Assistant, it's free and you can download it from here:

Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates

That should do exactly what you want.
This is Excellent. this is just what I needed. just had a quick play with it and it like what i need.

Thank you very much Richard Day
08-04-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Richard Day! I do product photos for my wife's business and was wondering how to tether. Saw the Pentax remote software and thought it was meant for the handheld remote only.
08-14-2007, 04:34 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi People

I got my first shoot at work tommorrow. came up a little quicker than i planned for. I just installed the Pentax Remote Assistant on my laptop after a quick test on my pc. but for some reason i can't connect the camera on the laptop in Pentax Remote Assistant. it is there as a harddrive on the laptop but in Pentax Remote Assistant it just doen't register. It was running ok on my pc. the only difference between the two is the operating systems, pc is Windows XP and the laptop is Windows Vista. if anyone has had a similar promblem could you please help me

Thanks

08-14-2007, 05:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by fudge1979 Quote
Hi People

I got my first shoot at work tommorrow. came up a little quicker than i planned for. I just installed the Pentax Remote Assistant on my laptop after a quick test on my pc. but for some reason i can't connect the camera on the laptop in Pentax Remote Assistant. it is there as a harddrive on the laptop but in Pentax Remote Assistant it just doen't register. It was running ok on my pc. the only difference between the two is the operating systems, pc is Windows XP and the laptop is Windows Vista. if anyone has had a similar promblem could you please help me

Thanks
I haven't used this software much and I run Vista on the computer. But I wonder if you wanted to 'see' the picture on the computer screen as a Live View like a point and shoot camera does on it's LCD? The remote assistant will only show you the picture after you take it. It's not to see the image coming from the camera like it was a video camera or P&S and on all the time. Was that the issue?
08-14-2007, 06:05 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I haven't used this software much and I run Vista on the computer. But I wonder if you wanted to 'see' the picture on the computer screen as a Live View like a point and shoot camera does on it's LCD? The remote assistant will only show you the picture after you take it. It's not to see the image coming from the camera like it was a video camera or P&S and on all the time. Was that the issue?
Hi Peter Zack

Its not that i can't see the picture, the camera itself doesn't seem to be detected by remote assistant. If I go to file or camera in remote assistant, it is all greyed out, but if I hook it up to my pc remote assistant will detect it straight away. I am not sure if this is Vista related. I did download and installed Pentax_Raw_Codec for vista but that didn't seem to help.
what a nightmare im gonna look like a goose tommorow at work

Thanks

Last edited by fudge1979; 08-14-2007 at 06:37 AM.
08-14-2007, 06:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Well I have 2 suggestions. First just make sure you have enough memory cards for the shooting and take the laptop with you. If the computer does not have a card reader then pick one up and check your shots as you go. Second I'd write Pentax (the USA site seems to respond the best but try the home country site as well) and describe the issue. They sometimes respond very quickly and you may solve the issue before tomorrow. You may also want to try removing the software and reloading it to see if that cures the issue.

Last TAKE YOUR TIME when shooting. Try to take the items to a place where you can work alone without someone looking over your shoulder. Take a few shots to check exposures, lighting and so on. Then check the shots of each item on the computer as you go. That way you can reshoot something that didn't work out. Learn how to manually set the white balance on the camera as well. It will make a huge difference in getting the correct colour temp in the shots.
The thing that will make this hard is if you feel rushed to produce an instant perfect image.
08-15-2007, 03:23 AM   #11

Original Poster
Hi

Just thought id let you know that you have to right click the icon in desktop and select "Run as Administrator"

Thanks
08-29-2007, 07:09 AM   #12

Original Poster
Sorry it took awhile but ive been so busy latey. heres a quick selection

c&c appr.

Cheers