Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2007, 03:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Check this out.

Ultimate Exposure Computer

08-14-2007, 07:26 AM   #17
VAV

PDA applications

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I have three portable devices.

The first is a exposure program that runs on my PDA (freeware).

The second is an old Kodak book that is buried out in a old defunct cooler (those things are nice for long term storage - insulated and bugs can not get into them very easy). The book as an exposure calculator (circular slide rule for the old guys among us) that has many rings of data and many functions (guide numbers, magnification, CINE speeds, EV, Zones etc.

The third is really two devices - hand held light meters. Just move the dials around and the relationships are displayed.

PDL
I use an Axim 51v and was looking for a similar freeware - do you mind pointing me to a source for the exposure program you mention? Also, are you aware of any PdA freeware that provides sunrise/sunset times at various locations?

Thanks
08-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #18
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Exposure freeware

QuoteOriginally posted by VAV Quote
I use an Axim 51v and was looking for a similar freeware - do you mind pointing me to a source for the exposure program you mention? Also, are you aware of any PdA freeware that provides sunrise/sunset times at various locations?

Thanks
Sorry I took so long in getting back to you - but here is the Parent site I found to get the photographic information for my original Compaq iPaq PDA.

Digital Light & Color - Welcome - What's New see - photoshop is not the only thing out there

The actual site that you need to get to is this one.
Pocket PC Freeware Downloads
I have ephemeris 1.0, dof 1.0 and exposure 1.0 on my device - I do not use them very much - but I do use them. The PC version of ephemeris is not as cool as the one for the PDA. Please note that these programs only work with Windows based PDA's, no Palm stuff here (or iPhone for that matter).

PDL
08-20-2007, 11:41 PM   #19
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
that was actually posted early in this thread. I'm very thankful, as I grabbed the page, reformatted it to Sony eReader format, and read it on the plane ride to Tanzania. -VERY- edjamacational!!! Though I didn't chance using Manaul mode out on Safari not knowing what I'm doing enough to chance loosing shots of a lifetime (missed many for technical difficulties anyway), it certainly helped my to understand how to use the TAv mode better; once I realized I had to start with 'Sunny 8' as a basis instead of 'Sunny 16' when I used the 2x TC.

08-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

that's the reason for having a in-camera light meter, isn't it?

Skip all this rules, all you need to know is how depth of field and shutter speed affects your shots. Get used to it and just compensate/adjust your camera reading.
08-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
that's the reason for having a in-camera light meter, isn't it? Skip all this rules, all you need to know is how depth of field and shutter speed affects your shots. Get used to it and just compensate/adjust your camera reading.

There are occasions when the built-in meter just doesn't cut it (lightning, etc), can be fooled, or there isn't time for proper metering (candids, etc). An exposure guide can serve as backup or replacement in these circumstances. The recommended exposure settings are based on the combined experience of previous photographers, which can be very handy when one finds himself or herself in one of these situations.

stewart
06-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #22

Please email me the cheat sheet

06-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still carry my Harris Memory Meter III around and refer to it pretty often. It's a stiff 3-panel unit that folds to shirt-pocket-size. There are two circular wheels, as well as some other list and chart information. It doesn't include some exposure values that have become possible since the mid or late 1980s, but you can extrapolate from what it tells you. There's one currently on the auction website. (I benefit in no way from letting you know about it) Harris Memory Meter III Concise Guide to Exposures | eBay
06-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #24

See if you can borrow a lunasix 3s & try incident metering.
07-08-2016, 07:56 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by mph Quote
It's not downloadable, and probably too late for you, but in my photo bag, I have my dad's old "Kodak Photoguide". Mine is old enough that you tell the films' speeds by how many X's are in their names (Panchromatic X, Tri-X, Kodachrome X, etc.). It had an exposure calculator, where you could turn a wheel to line up a film speed with a situation (candlelight, fireworks, etc.) and read off the exposure.

I see there is now a digital edition. I wonder how it compares to my ancient version.
I'm feeling old... Your dad's "Kodak Photoguide"? I've had mine for about 35 years and although an ISO of 400 was fast stuff back then, I still find it useful. And I still carry and use a handheld light meter. The meters built into our camera bodies are pretty incredible, but they are still all reflective light meters. When you are dealing with a bunch of light levels in your scene, an incident light meter will help you sort it out pretty quickly. Film was expensive (and has only gotten more so), so most photographers couldn't simply take a shotgun approach with a dozen different exposure brackets. You had to think and then shoot. The Photoguide can help you think and then shoot.